Spooky tooth death race 2010

dogman dan

1 PW
Ok, I did survive, no blood left on the track of mine. Made it into the main, and did not finish last, or only because other DNF. But was close to last in a feild of 20 or so. Definitely not lapped by more that a handfull, who all gave me a thumbs up going by. Only the top fastest six or so could take me on a corner, but of course I was owned by even sorta slow guys on the straights.

Nice track, Next year for sure with more volts. I seem to still have one ball left, actually elbowed a dude the heck out of my line in lap one of the main.

Edit. For those not closely following this before, here is what I raced.

Qualifying heat. 8 laps, of .8 miles per lap. 36v 20 ah pingbattery.

Main, 12 laps of .8 miles per lap. 48v 15 ah pingbattery.

Motor, Aotema sensorless front hub from High Tech Bikes. ( often seen sold as Wilderness Energy BL 36)

Controller. Stock sensorless 36v controller. 22 amps.

So you see, I raced a stock commuter kit, and still nearly kept up. Here's a pic of the setup. The bike is a wallmart trash mongoose It doesn't show some even lower upside down handlebars I put on later.Race bike 2010 spooky tooth.jpg

Video should appear soon, some fairly nice footage in the elimination heat, where I had a good race going on a dude in a spiked helmet. More alone in the main.

Great stuff DoGMan good to hear you stayed aboard and made it back in one piece, now you have had a taste and are still upto it (and enjoy it) time to plan for next year with a serious contender! ...time to get that welder and migrate to the darkside for that one :mrgreen:

KiM

Congratulations on finishing!

One of my old friends used to race motorcycles on weekends.
He was the old guy and was always getting beaten my the whipper snappers.
When it rained he ate them alive.
They were all fair weather riders. He commuted daily.

Oh, here it is.
Cool beans Dogman. Sounds like you had fun.
so how long was the death race?
Next year there will be no smack talk....we will field a team & embarrass the smokers.(if possible 8) )

This year the heats were 8 laps, with three heats that were eliminations. Nobody said I was eliminated though I was slow in my heat using 36v. I just lined up last in the main with about 30 of us, and was not slowest in the main. ( but close to it) There was about 70 riders, so there were eliminations, but I think it was pretty much guys who finished in the first 6 spots that tried the main. Some clearly did not want any part of the main heat. I think the eliminations were voluntary. Laid back kinda race for the majority. It was in the main that I elbowed the guy out of my way in the tight haripin, like in a road bike peloton. The first half lap was crazy wild, then there was room as they left me behind.

I rode the main on 48v, using roughly 2/5 of my capacity. Nevertheless, I was really slowing down the last lap, after lots of WOT. The main was 12 laps, but I only ran 11, about 10miles. My top speed was 34.5 and average speed was about 26 mph.

Here's a pic my wife got of me in the practice laps.Dogman exiting the easy hairpin.jpg

This guy on the longtail was fast, one of the many who beat me but did not lap me. Only the fast 4 or 5 guys lapped me. Wierdly, lots of em were doing the flat track corner on asphalt. Illegal bikes in AZ with that much engine, mabye they do a lot of hauling ass out in the dirt. Fast guy on cargo longtail.jpg

At least I didn't look like a dufus. Several riders told me I was suprisingly fast, and many spectators were amazed. I simply cornered a faster line than many of em, and kept showing up inside, suprise! :twisted: One really fast dude thought I was totally left behind, and then I suddenly appeared inside him on the hairpin. He gave me a shocked look, and a thumbs up before he totally dusted me on the straightaway. In the heat race, I dueled with the spiked helmet guy for the first half of the race. He just started to give me the corners, but take me on the straights. Then a bit of voltage sag and he stayed ahead. Got great helmet cam footage of him as we traded spots several times per lap.

dogman said:
Video should appear soon, some fairly nice footage in the elimination heat, where I had a good race going on a dude in a spiked helmet. More alone in the main.
I just got back after doing the "honey do" list so I'll get a teaser up in the next half hour. Then I have to hit the books a bit for tomorrow's class. I should have more time to work on video tomorrow.
A few pics: Dogman's chickenstrips, finishing, and doing his part to maintain the track visavis lean angle!

Attachments

• dogman chicken strips (Small).JPG
    dogman chicken strips (Small).JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 3,713
  • dogman finish (Small).JPG
    dogman finish (Small).JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 3,713
  • dogman pickin up debris (Small).JPG
    dogman pickin up debris (Small).JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 3,713
tritonwow said:
A few pics: Dogman's chickenstrips

dogman chicken strips (Small).JPG

Next time we want to see curled up melted rubberZ Dogman, now your back
in the groove there will be no taking it easy on the stink bikes next year OK!!?!!#@$#!

Seriously well done mate the track does look nice from the few shots i have seen
well kept and nice surface.

KiM

AussieJester said:
tritonwow said:
A few pics: Dogman's chickenstrips

Next time we want to see curled up melted rubberZ Dogman, now your back
in the groove there will be no taking it easy on the stink bikes next year OK!!?!!#@$#!

Seriously well done mate the track does look nice from the few shots i have seen
well kept and nice surface.

KiM
Thanks for the pchop! I was trying to show Dman was scrubbin the tires!

Here is lap 1 of the main event (I'll have to figure out how to do youtube vids better. The original vidoe is of better quality):
[youtube]zBAjchKHHCg[/youtube]

MR.DOGMAN
U are my newest EV HERO (and I don't have many heroes...) Next year you or somebuddy else on ES will OWN this race, but you have lead the way... If nothing else I expect Spooky Tooth to update his lame online offerings of EV product... Good On You Mate. When you have had a breather, please re-phrase this for us uninitiated race folks:
dogman said:
...actually elbowed a dude the I want to hug out of my line in lap one of the main.
Cheers
loCk

Re previous post, I was riding the aotema front hub.

Crap, scared me just to watch that. Dude was taking shitty lines, and I couldn't afford to let him slow me down, as you see what happens in the straightaways. But what you see on my helmet cam was the also rans race. The real race was half a lap ahead by the end of lap one. But I do think after seeing that helmet cam video, some guys will expect me to own the corners, or get elbowed. Only one time did anybody pass me inside that I didn't wave through ( being lapped) . NOBODY not lapping me got an inch of track from me.

I did write something else, but the mods took the liberty. I was still pretty jacked up last night.

I think 72v would be pretty competitive. It was also crystal clear that I had a huge front wheel drive advantage in the corners. So I think I stick to frock motors for a kart track. Interestingly the ping was really slowing down at the end of the main, but was only about 1/3 discharged when I charged back up. Shows that a ping can't hack the continuous 2c. But then we knew that eh? Continuous is not defined as 30 min of racing in china I guess. So for the win, it's going to take something better, like lipo, and lots of it to do several races plus practice. 3-4 thou in batteries oughta do it. Well there's racing for ya. I bet the winning gas bikes have similar investment.

From what I could see, most people are cornering the track at about 25-30 mph in the hairpins. I was doing a bit better, and a few times got around at 30. the winners were getting around those corners at 30 I'm sure, and had 50 mph or more on the straights. In the video you see my top speed of around 30 is too slow in the straights to beat anybody, so 40 mph oughta do it if all you want is to run in the pack and out corner them. I coulda done it with 60v and finished ahead of a few more guys that had 5 mph on me running at 48v.

A few more stills. Me waiting for the main to start.View attachment 1

The fast longtail. Nearly had him for a second there, but he cornered ok.Fast longtail, dude in blue came in 3rd.jpg

Great Video D!
I got to get a helmet cam before june 5th. That looks like too much fun.
(great lines BTW D.M looking real good)

Thanks. Those cliffs where we used to gravity race were good incentive to learn to corner back in the 70's. I was just watching some U tube video I hadn't found before of the race last january. The guy that wins all the time posts under the name fairracing 31. Look for his stuff, and you will find a clip or two of his bike. And his helmet cam video. One pass of the guy who won second yesterday and then nobody in the view till he laps a guy. 8) Dude is serious fast. Looks like his bike would moto cross just as good. Anyway he took nearly the same line I do.

Somebody school me one more time how to post a link here. Last time somebody explained it, I still couldn't understand what he meant. I'm a simple guy, if I can't drag and drop something I'm helpless.

Thanks to Tritonwow, I had a nice helmet cam to wear. My cheapie lasted 1 day past the warranty. Hopefully more will appear on u tube, lots of hemets with a cam on them yesterday.

Was he running this Morini motored bike?
[youtube]1NSmWvGUtTQ[/youtube]

when you link a you-tube vid elliminate all the Http stuff & only leave the item code
example: from a copy of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NSmWvGUtTQ

get rid of this junk->( http: //ww w. you tube.com / watch?v=)

leave this stuff (1NSmWvGUtTQ)

Thud said:
from a copy of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NSmWvGUtTQ ... use this stuff 1NSmWvGUtTQ
Looks like this when composing your reply text :
Code:
[youtube]1NSmWvGUtTQ[/youtube]

Cheers Dogman... we'll lead that pack next year. :twisted:

Very well done Dogman!

That's the bike. He was set up next to me in the pits, almost enough to make me go gas. Drool drool. You could see that the frame was custom made. I wondered if the off road stuff would make him slow in the corners on a narrow greasy track. Nope! Next year somebody needs to show up with just as good geometery and 72v 20 ah or more of lipo. But seriously, to beat him will take a bike, AND a much better rider than some good wheelsmen. The top ten could RIDE. One cat looked sketchy as hell in the corners with an ape handlebars chopper springer fork. Looked like a crash every corner but he was amazing fast anyway.

I'm going to just aim for top ten next year. Carrying enough lipoy to do well is not impossible at all, but having enough to practice, run the heat or heats, and the main is hard. I know the practice did not help my battery last in the main. I could tell just the practice at home was throwing it out of balance a bit. Practice laps on the race battery won't happen next year if I can help it.

OH to be young again, EH, Dogman ?? Ya done GOOD. :)

Is pedaling a "have to" to be eligible to race ?? I see a few using them, as you were. Is there a motor power limit ?? Seems that fastest guy has a pro type set up. ??

Just WHAT would be necessary, to have you whup up on them guys, next time ??

don't forget the ohio race for those who want to try there hand at dirt track. the bike fairracing runs is made by a shop called pipeline, there very nice and tuff bikes.

Back