Warren's 350 MAC mid-drive (finally) recumbent

Had an encounter with a dog, mid-October, on my pedal roadbike. Broke my collarbone, and shoulder blade. Finally back to riding. First ride of 2015 today. 46.16 mi, 2:32.30, 18.1 av, 37.2 max, 12.0 Wh/mi, 50 degrees, very windy.

Time to replace tires and chains.

0116051714.jpg

Thought I'd post an update. I've done 1,963 miles, so far, this year...18,582 since 09-07-11.

Back on April 6th, my throttle stopped working at the halfway point of a 50 mile ride. It had been working erratically for the last several rides. I took out the tiny phillips head screw from the curved cover the cable exits from. One side of the dovetail pocket the hall sensor sits in was broken out, and it was floating around. One end of the curved pocket the magnet was held in, on the rotating part of the throttle, was also broken out so the magnet could slide back and forth. I pedaled a block to a Family Dollar store, and bought a tube of superglue. It was a little like building a ship in a bottle, but using the skinniest blade on my Swiss army knife, I was able to get the magnet, and hall sensor back where they belonged, and glued them securely.

This settled matters until the turnaround point of an 89 mile ride on April 24th. On leaving the Tastee Freeze, the throttle was dead again. I figured my glue repair had failed, but pulling off the cover showed all was well. I shorted my knife across the three connector prongs in the controller throttle plug, and found that connecting two of them activated the controller. I then tried shorting across the corresponding two leads coming out of the hall sensor, but no luck. I figured there must be a broken wire between the throttle, and the controller plug. I wiggled the cable coming out of the throttle to where it is zip tied to the handlebar, and the moving section between the fork and the frame. Those seemed like the most likely failure points. No luck. I ended up making a jumper from a vinyl covered wire tie-wrap in my bag-o-stuff. I stripped the end about a half inch, and hooked it through the convenient little holes in the ends if the controller connector prongs. On my bike, with the controller on-off toggle (and this three inch length of tie-wrap, close at hand, I could pull to deactivate the throttle if need be), I felt OK using the brake's throttle kill switch for stops and shifting with my low power setup.

I planned to sort out the broken wire the next day, but on plugging in the battery pack, and turning on the controller it was back to working. I figured I would wait until it messed up again to look for the broken wire. At my first bathroom break, the throttle was dead again. Holding the throttle open, I tried wiggling the cable again. This time I got lucky and found the break was at the tight curve where it rounds the bend from the handlebars to the stem. This curve is tie-wrapped at both ends, and isn't subjected to movement. But it is where I grab to move the bike around while walking it. I am sure the low wire strand count, and ramen noodle insulation are to blame. I think of 80 year old Bell telephone handset cables still in perfect working order. :-(

[attachment=0]five.JPG

46 months, 20000 miles, three inner tubes, four shifter cables, six sets of tires, six sets of chains, 255 kWh from the wall.

$10 tubes
$12 cables
$34 electricity
$210 tires
$210 chains
$476 total=$0.0238 per mile

Attachments

• four.JPG
    four.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,606
Yes. This is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Actually I realized, after posting those numbers, that I am still on my fifth set of tires. I have run a mix of Forte Slick City ST, Forte Fast City K, NOS Specialized Fat Boy, Hutchinson Top Slick, and finally Nashbar Slick ATB. All tires were wire bead, all had max pressure rating of 80-100 psi, 559-32, some Chinese, some Taiwanese. I have paid from $11-$20 per tire. The tires mic .120-.130" at the center when new. Sidewalls mic .025-.030" Except for the kevlar one. That was .150" at the center. Wore out fastest, had least rubber, poor traction, only one to flat! I get about 3000 miles on the rear until I see cord at .050-.080" remaining. I re-install the previous front on back, and run another ~500 miles. But the Nashbars have proven exceptional. I got 4172 miles on the rear, put the old front Hutchinson on back and got 1226 miles on that, and 5398 miles total on the front Nashbar. So I am still on my second set of Nashbars, with one more set to go (I bought three sets at a great price). I checked their site, and I don't see them listed. Back in the 1990's, 26x 1.25 slicks were very popular, and easy to find. Apparently they have fallen out of fashion.

The day after posting, I replaced the chains,and took the opportunity to flip over the 15 tooth cogs on either side of my mid-motor. The right side one, pulling motor power and mine, had a bit of wear on the chain roller loaded side of the teeth. The left one which only handles my power had less, of course. Flipping them over is an old bicycle trick. It doesn't work on modern derailleur cogs, of course, because of the ramps and pins on the sides for easier shifting.

I replaced my front Kool Stop Thinline V brake pads the other day at 20201 miles. The rears are regular thickness, and still have lots of rubber left. I can't run regular profile on the front, as I need the brake arms narrower than the fork to prevent clipping with a pedal in parking lots.

Rode to Scottsville, yesterday. It hit 90 F, and other than wind caused by an occasional thermal, it was dead calm.

63.48 mi, 3:12, 19.7 av, 37.0 max, 11.0 Wh/mile, 23,070 miles total.

I am still amazed how this bike just works, mile after mile.

When I come down Rt 6, into Scottsville, I like turning up tiny, single lane Jackson Street, just because I can. It is over 20% grade.

http://bit.ly/1SsrsEv

I have made a few changes to the bike so I figured this would be a good time for an update. Exactly one month ago I got a brainstorm. A year ago I bought an 8 module pack of Nissan Leaf cells from Hybrid Auto Center. I only needed seven of them for my Screamer project, but 8 came to the same price as 7 purchased individually, and I got the copper battery straps, BMS harness, etc. thrown in too. So this extra module has been sitting in a drawer for a year. After almost 5 years, and 23K miles, my Ping pack has built up a bit of internal resistance, so a full charge only gets me 80 miles instead of 100 miles at 19-20 mph. I realized I could run this 2s2p, 60 Ah module in series with my 12s6p, 30 Ah Ping pack without a BMS for the Nissan module, as long as I didn't charge the module to a full 4.2 volts per cell.. I used the right side pannier I had rigged up for my 3 day ride to carry the Leaf module.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23259&start=175#p933722

I made up a harness with spare cable and connectors I had in my stash. I charged the series pack through the new motor connection plug rather than through the Ping pack's charge plug. The BMS LEDs still light up when the Ping hits full charge and starts balancing. I set up a lithium profile on my Satiator to charge to 53.9 volts where the current drops to .4 amps shortly after all 12 LEDs light, and the charge ends. The Ping bleeds off to 44.4 volts as the LEDs wink out, and the Leaf module is 4.1 volts per cell pair. I have done ten full charges so far, and it works great. I switched the 50 tooth chainring for a 57 tooth, to get my cadence back to normal. I swapped out the 12-34 cassette for a custom 14-40. Same speed range, but less strain on the drivetrain.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=79576#p1197436

I also took this oportunity to replace the 15 tooth VeloSolo cogs on the motor.

http://www.velosolo.co.uk/

The old cogs had 23K miles on them.

old vs new.jpg

I also replaced the chains, which had 3,714 miles on them.

Went for a ride through the Southwest Mountain area, northeast of Charlottesville, today. Pretty area, with winding narrow roads, some dirt over the mountain,

SWMtn1.jpg

one lane tunnels under RR tracks, and wooden, one lane bridges over RR tracks.

onelanewoodenbridge.jpg

onelanebridge2.jpg

74 miles, 19.3 mph average, 35.7 max, 15.5 Wh/mile

24,797 miles so far. Should easily hit 25K miles before September 7th, five year anniversary.

With 2530 miles on this one, and 5260 miles in the Screamer, I'm at 7,790 miles for the year, so far.

Looks like a fun adventure. Good to be on a recumbent for those views!

Congratz!

You put more miles on your E-Bike than my folks do on their car! :D

Today was just as sunny, and almost as warm as yesterday. It felt colder because the wind was gale force. I took the mid-drive because it is more like sailing a sunfish in high wind, than the cargo bike. I had to lean way over in crosswinds. I saw the watts jump from 250 to 600 in gusts. Into the wind, the motor was pulling hard to maintain 20 mph down a grade that normally would have me coasting over 35 mph. Pretty fun.

I got to my lunch stop in the stripmall, in Gordonsville, and was leaning the bike against the building, when I heard a loud bang. I turned around to see two cars wrecked right in front of the entrance to the mall. An Accord was sitting in the middle of the road, with the front end lying on the ground. The driver's front quarter was crushed. A Corolla was facing the opposite direction, several car lengths behind the Accord, and about four feet up on the grass of the school yard. The drivers side was wiped out from the back door to the rear bumper. The rear wheel was hanging out at an angle. They had hit at a glancing blow. Nobody was badly hurt. Both drivers got out and walked around. A few feet closer to center, and they would both have been very bad off, or worse. Ate lunch watching the cops, fire truck, and rollbacks.

On the way home, I decided to cut through Green Springs, as I had two days ago, on the cargo bike. This is a very secluded area. You hardly ever see a vehicle. I stopped to pee.

reliefstop.jpg

As I was getting back on the bike, two bleary-eyed, good ole boys, in an old Chevy S-10 pickup, rolled slowly by. They looked like two of Snow White's missing dwarves. Bushy grey hair and whiskbroom beards, requisite feed caps. Probably a quart of the favorite libation between their knees. They weren't traveling over 25 mph, so I soon was coming up behind them. We went down a hill, and were coming up the next, when a postal jeep, with open sides came down the narrow road the other way. The mail driver must have been a friend of theirs, and he blew his horn as he passed, and stopped. They stopped further on. I was wondering if I had enough room to go around between them, when the backup lights came on. I was looking in at the driver's rearview mirror, but he was looking out his side mirror, to clear the jeep. I holler at the top of my lungs, "Hey!! Hey!!" I start hobby horsing backwards down the hill as fast as I can. I get back far enough to pull around his right side. I slam the side of his truck with the side of my fist, and roll up next to the passenger window. Sleepy rolls it down, grinning. I say, "What the f__k! Were you f__king trying to back over me? Wake the f__k up!!" I took off and didn't see them, or anybody else until I was back out on paved roads. Who would imagine you could almost get killed on a deserted, dirt road, in the middle of nowhere?

Yeah Warren, that's a tough one when someone unexpectedly backs up on you. A few months ago I was following a car out of a parking lot when she stopped to make her left onto the one way street and I stopped about 10 feet back on my tadpole trike. I was near the center lane of the entrance/exit street because I was going to go onto the sidewalk just before the street, but I couldn't see whether or not any cars might be turning in at that point, so I was just patiently waiting for her to go. All of a sudden she threw the car in reverse and headed back fast. I stabbed at the air horn and missed it while turning hard to my left and hitting the pedals and the throttle. Yelled loudly as her bumper hit the very back of the trike's back tire, knocking it over just a couple of inches. Like you, I was lucky with no damage and also lucky no one was coming into the parking lot in that lane I moved into. She felt terrible, her child in the back seat had started choking and she had decided to get back into the parking lot. Not a place I was expecting to get backed over. When riding through a parking lot where cars might back out I watch carefully and keep my thumb on the air horn.

Yeah. Riding a bike is magical, until it's not. I was real lucky it happened on a hill. I couldn't have backed up that fast without gravity helping.

A couple weeks ago, I was making my dumpster run on the cargo bike, and a couple ladies, in a Prius, were going to the recycling center too. I saw her coming up from behind fast, with her turn signal on. I was about a car length from the turn when she pulled up even with me. I gave her my angriest look. She looked startled, and hit the brakes. I pulled in and started unloading my stuff. She pulled in and got out of her car. I said, "Hello," in an exaggerated, friendly voice. She apologized, and said, "I don't know what I was thinking. I could have killed you." I said, " Yes. Well, we all do what we can." :)

I'm sorry. But I have been hoping we would run out of oil for 40 years. It looks like we will run out of planet first.

Yesterday, I rode to Gordonsville, and on the way back I cut through Green Springs again. It is such a magical place. I am a lousy photographer, and my pictures don't do it justice.

Long and windy road.
GreenSprings1.jpg

Pre-Civil War graves in churchyard.
GreenSprings2.jpg

The church.
View attachment 1

That truck is at the intersection of three narrow dirt roads

Hey Warren,
Great to see how well your underslung battery pack idea work out. I've enjoyed catching up on your posts. I've been riding my new recumbent bike for a bout a year now, and of all the things I've noticed, foremost it is that cars do not recognize electric bikes for what they are or how fast they can go, and as a result are even more dangerous to us than ever. I think our best chance is firm but gentle continuous education. After all, we need these people on our side when it comes to voting for better ebike laws.

tigcross,

I have come upon several motorcycle wrecks in the last few years. They were hit by car drivers who never saw them. If anything, they are less safe than an electric assist bicycle, simply by virtue of the greater speed. Education probably won't help. Our brains do a lot of processing of visual input before it ever gets to the conscious level. When you are in a large vehicle, you simply don't see small moving objects. They are not a threat, so never make it to awareness.

Had an intermittent problem pop up on this bike a bit over a week ago. It acted like it did when one of the hall sensors was failing. But it has been running a sensorless controller for several years now. It finally stopped working for good the other day, so I started to dig into it. Found one of the faux Anderson phase connectors wasn't making good contact anymore, and got hot enough for the plastic housing to melt/deform. Just back from a shakedown run.

49.22 mi, 2:21, 20.8 av, 37.3 max, 16.3 Wh/mile, 26,640 miles so far.

Speaking of battery packs...check out my latest post for the new bike.

tigcross said:
I've been riding my new recumbent bike for a bout a year now, and of all the things I've noticed, foremost it is that cars do not recognize electric bikes for what they are or how fast they can go, and as a result are even more dangerous to us than ever.

I've discovered by experiments over the years that lighting helps tremendously, when riding at night or in dusky conditions.

It makes little difference in the daytime, but can help a bit even then.

If you use a headlight that looks like (or is) a car-sized light, with a surface area at least as big as your outspread hand, preferably both hands, then cars (or pedestrians, etc) are a lot less likely to pull / step out in front of you, than if you have a tiny light (bright or not, flashing or steady) that just says "I'm just a bicycle".

Similarly, a large surface area taillight will help.

Both make you look larger *and* closer and the brain that is already trained to react to those shape/size lights will do so even if you are not actually travelling fast.

Similarly, large-surface area turn signals and brake lights will help with communicating your intentions much better than hand signals that few people have a clue to what they are. They might still choose to ignore them, but at least they will definitely know what they are. ;)

Apparent size also makes a difference, so downlighting that lights up the whole road around you (even if the lights themselves are not visible) will make you look bigger and be more visible. Again, they can still choose to ignore you...but they *will* see you are there.

Actual size also makes a difference, but most of us won't or can't or don't need to ride things the size of my bike or trike. :lol:

I replace the chains on my electric assist bikes every 3,500 miles. I don't lube or clean them. I just put a drop of oil on the quick links when I install them. The factory goop seems to last. I wipe them down with a rag after riding in rain.

I rode into Blue Wheel, Monday, for new chains. It was 81 F. Always fun riding the Monticello hiking/biking trail. It is the safest way over that busy mountain with tourists, and motorhomes.

On my way back, seven miles from home, and 3,575 miles into the chains, a pin broke in one of the regular links. I coasted into the grass, and leaned the bike against a fence. Fortunately, I carry extra chain, quick links, and tools. :)

I pressed out the broken link, and stuck in a quick link. Back on the road in five minutes.

55.00 mi, 3:10.51, 17.2 av, 42.4 max, 13.4 Wh/mile, 27,296 miles total

achainofevents.jpg

Back