Waterproof throttles

d8veh

1 GW
My new thumb-throttles arrived today. They look pretty good and have a nice feel. Though not 100% sealed, there's a lip all the way round and the only other place water could get in is through the trigger shaft, which is underneath, so it's highly unlikely water would go in, and in the unlikely event that water could get in through the lip, it would drop out through the bottom without troubling the hall sensor. They're cheap too, so I would highly recommend this throttle. They're left side and go underneath the bars. Inside is just a normal hall sensor and magnets on a quadrant.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6260703758.html

Does look better for a wet climate to me. A truly waterproof throttle is needed. One with a short cable to a sealed box is what I've been hoping for.

Interesting option too, for a left throttle.

I just sprayed the inside and sides with silicone lubricant (sorta ends up like tooth paste). It lubricates the throttle so it doesn't jam as well as keep water out. Survived a Melbourne winter commuting. I actually did it because the throttle was getting stiff/stuck after a week of rain. After application of the silicone lube, it's been perfect.

John in CR said:
Nice find d8veh. Thanks for sharing it. How does it feel using it on the right side in "trigger mode"?
On the right side, the lever would be on top of the bars. I don't know if there's a right side version. It wouldn't be so waterproof because the hole that the shaft comes through would be on top. Any water that got in couldn't get out.

these are thumb throttles I had been using on my Tidal Force and EPLUS ebikes for thousands of kilometers,
Especially my winter ride - Tidal Force got thoroughly wet many times in over 24,000km .
ZERO silicone used just rubber gaskets.

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,456
miro13car said:
these are thumb throttles I had been using on my Tidal Force and EPLUS ebikes for thousands of kilometers,
Especially my winter ride - Tidal Force got thoroughly wet many times in over 24,000km .

Where do you get them from and how much do they cost?

It looks like something is wedged between the back of the throttle and the handlebars. Is there something special you have to do to fit them?

d8veh said:
miro13car said:

It looks like something is wedged between the back of the throttle and the handlebars. Is there something special you have to do to fit them?
it seems the handlebar is bent where he mounted the throttle that's why there is a little piece of plastic to support?!

d8veh said:
My new thumb-throttles arrived today. They look pretty good and have a nice feel. Though not 100% sealed, there's a lip all the way round and the only other place water could get in is through the trigger shaft, which is underneath, so it's highly unlikely water would go in, and in the unlikely event that water could get in through the lip, it would drop out through the bottom without troubling the hall sensor. They're cheap too, so I would highly recommend this throttle. They're left side and go underneath the bars. Inside is just a normal hall sensor and magnets on a quadrant.

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6260703758.html

I've got one of these and it feels nice with no dead spot off start. Although I haven't quite decided if I like it for LH thumb or RH pull orientation?

I know it's ghetto but I still just throw a plastic bag over any throttle in heavy rain.

miro13car said:

unfortunately my experience with this AWI thumb throttle was not like yours.
the first broke after 200km. the second one after 300km. On both the working area of the pot got worse and worse until it was not useable anymore.
i guess the pot get bad after that fast because it also acts as a bearing for the thumb lever and it may not be made for this.
maybe i had bad luck and you good luck, but i will not buy them again. definitely not 50$ worth.

Now i use the Magura 5k. Until now there are no changes in the working area noticeable and it also is more comfortable.

d8veh said:
miro13car said:

they came with Tidal Force DD hub kit and EPLUS DD hub kit.
Yes handlebar curves so there is piece there.

madin88,
AWI , what do you mean by that, brand?
I doubt, it is the same throttle as in the picture but very similar.
TF and EPLUS uses Emaxi thumb throttle ,
AWI like many China components is a copy.
Anyway Emaxi is a rock reliable throttle, also Amborselio member here uses it on his many TF bikes, ask him.
I had been hanging around on TF forums and Eplus forums and never heard of any problems with that throttle.

d8veh said:
John in CR said:
Nice find d8veh. Thanks for sharing it. How does it feel using it on the right side in "trigger mode"?
On the right side, the lever would be on top of the bars. I don't know if there's a right side version. It wouldn't be so waterproof because the hole that the shaft comes through would be on top. Any water that got in couldn't get out.

I was looking at one of the pics on the aliexpress express links, but looking again some trimming would be needed to get a trigger throttle with brake handle down in the proper position though some of their pics look like a different model than yours.
trigger throttle.JPG

Despite the tendency to pull on the throttle during acceleration, I think just the index finger pulling a trigger throttle could be comfortable and maintain a good grip on the bars. One thing I don't like is giving up my thumb's wrap around the bar to use a thumb throttle, which is where a trigger might be an advantage on a high power rig. I guees I need to try modding a thumb throttle I have to test out the idea first.

miro13car said:
madin88,
AWI , what do you mean by that, brand?
I doubt, it is the same throttle as in the picture but very similar.
TF and EPLUS uses Emaxi thumb throttle ,
AWI like many China components is a copy.
Anyway Emaxi is a rock reliable throttle, also Amborselio member here uses it on his many TF bikes, ask him.
I had been hanging around on TF forums and Eplus forums and never heard of any problems with that throttle.

Are you sure AWI is a copy from china?

i have it from there: http://www.electricscooterparts.com/throttles5kohm.html and on the thumb lever there also is the Emaxi symbol ;)

Can you post a pic of yours where we can see the inside and pot?

Raged said:
I just sprayed the inside and sides with silicone lubricant (sorta ends up like tooth paste). It lubricates the throttle so it doesn't jam as well as keep water out. Survived a Melbourne winter commuting. I actually did it because the throttle was getting stiff/stuck after a week of rain. After application of the silicone lube, it's been perfect.

What silicone lubricant did you use? I used this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grangers-Fabsil-Waterproofing-Spray-600ml/dp/B0017RKDF2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413501468&sr=8-2&keywords=clothes+waterproof+spray

but I don't know how good it is.

D8veh, do you think it would handle london weather with bike parked overnight on the rain?

Back