Razor Rambler 16 Modifications

petedm8181

1 µW
I am a complete novice to ebikes and escooters. I purchased a razor rambler 16 about a month ago. It has a 36v, 350w rear hub motor, and 36v 7ah lead acid battery stock. There are no pedals, and the bikes range is only 12 miles, meaning at 15mph it’s about 45minutes of ride time.

What batteries and controllers could I buy to achieve a bit more range, a bit more power? I’d like to spend less than $500 total on modifications

839c3b6db718306c5c74bd67c7fe4169.jpg

This is what the bike looks like for reference- small but has a very large battery housing. No suspension unfortunately, and it only has a rear drum brake. In the future I’d like to get bigger wheels, disc brakes, and some better forks with springs but for now I’d just like to improve the battery situation and whatever else fits in my budget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Novice razor modifier.

I think for that modest budget you will likely want to get a higher wattage controller and an additional 12v lead acid battery to wire in series so that you are up to 48v.

On Electricscooterparts.com you could find a 48V controller and an additional lead acid battery possibly even with the correct connectors. There is also a Facebook group called modified razors where people mess with specifically razor bikes so there is a little more knowledge on specific measurements or certain components that people have already put in that fit and work.

If it were me, I would start there, over volt the motor and see how long that lasts. If you are treating this like a toy and not a commuter vehicle, you should be able to get a little more fun out of that set up. Eventually you will probably burn out the motor but you should be properly addicted to this hobby by then and want to spend a bunch more money.

As a complete novice, take some time to learn how series and parallel affects power, take a little time to learn the wiring diagram of your bike and where there might be some improvements. For me, the mechanical stuff is easier to visualize and learn faster than the electric stuff so I treat it with greater caution. everything under 48V is low voltage though so it is less dangerous to play with.

Back