C Rate of Lead Acid Battery?

rg12

100 kW
Hey Guys,

I see many scooters using those 7Ah 12v Lead Acid Batteries and they sometimes want to change to LiIon.
Do you guys know what kind of C rate are those lead acids typically?

In one word...s#%t sla's are usually rated at C/100. At 1C they're stressed like a mofo and mr puket is just around the cnr actually.. He's well in the room robbing you of something like 50% of your AH.

Lead acid batteries can produce extremely high C rates at the expense of voltage sag, capacity loss, and shortened life. To switch to li-ion, you really need to know the max amperage draw of the motor controller and get a battery pack capable of that.

High quality lead can handle an astounding discharge rate. They're not small... But we use a state of the art lead battery in boat installations. They're rated at 2440 amps cranking load without damage... zero self discharge too. You can sit one on a shelf for a year with very little drop in voltage.

northstars.jpg

C rate is really how much current they can take without damage. My old Enersys (Hawker) AGM batteries could easily dish out 10C. Gel cells will be a little lower. Efficiency is another matter.

Lithium vs Lead

LiCo_vs_SLA_01.jpg

Wow that is some terrible sag...
I also heard that LSA's recover from sag very slow unlike lithium which bounces right back up

I've often wondered if leads ability to stand a fairly high c rate for short durations is not simply the mass that has to heat before the cell gets all hot and bothered. The engine starts before it can heat all that lead much. It does of course, also depend on plate thickness. Starting batteries can punch it out because of the thin plates.

30 pounds of lead, vs 10 pounds of lithium foil and carbon sandwich, the lithium could overheat and get damaged a lot quicker I'd think.

But for continuous discharge, like EV's do, lead does not shine. It really has to stay well below 1c in my opinion, or it only lasts 6 months. That's part of why those lead powered stand up scooters tend to be less than 500w.

Back