Is Pedal Assist (Hall) sensor pinout important?

onaka

1 µW
Hi,

I broke the PAS sensor of my e-bike (basically hall sensor I think). When I was in china I bought a new sensor online. Unfortunately the seller didn't know what was the pinout.

I got the new sensor working after some trial-and-error but the color mapping is a bit weird (see attachment). Could I have been just lucky to get it working? Can this damage my bike?

Intuitively I would like to connect red to red, yellow to yellow, blue to black but this didnt seem to work or maybe I should just try that again?

Sincerely,
Roland

onaka said:
I got the new sensor working after some trial-and-error but the color mapping is a bit weird (see attachment). Could I have been just lucky to get it working? Can this damage my bike?

You would need power and ground to power up the Hall sensor, and then a wire for the sensor output back to the controller. I can not think of a miswire combination that could be made to work, so you must have gotten your trial and error combination right. Since it is working there should be no way to cause any damage to your controller now. Even during your trial and error phase the most risk was to the sensor and not your controller. Long story short, you are OK IMHO.

Thanks! I was a bit worried for a while there but I didnt want to take the bike apart again =)

The old sensor wiring was quite logical, red = power, black = gnd, yellow = signal. For the new sensor I guess they ran out of black for gnd so they switched to yellow instead ... then the colors make sense to me :)

I've seen several controllers and connectors that are wired incorrectly during manufacture. I guess that it's done by hand so easy to make a mistake, and the quality control systems aren't robust enough to filter out the bad ones.

Back