S12S and GNG motor issue

flying_chase

1 µW
Hi, I hope someone can help. I have connected a BMSBATTERY s12s 500w controller to my gng 48v motor (purchased from Conhismotors). However I can only seem get it to run rough forward or rough back. But I can't find any combination of phase and hall wires for a smooth motor rotation. Has any one else tried the s12s controller with a gng? Sorry but I haven't seen any similar problem. Everything tests out fine with a brushless controller.

if you have had success. Could you tell me what hall and phase combinations you used and what c and p values you set for the controller.
Thanks

Further to my above post, I have only three combinations of phase and hall sensors that give me forward motion.
From controller to motor they are

Sensors Sensors Sensors
b--->b b--->g b--->y
g--->g g--->y g--->b
y--->y y--->b y--->g

Phase Phase Phase
b--->b b--->g b--->y
g--->g g--->y g--->b
y--->y y--->b y--->g

However all three run rough and with the rear wheel off the ground use between 3-5 amps before the power cuts out after a few seconds. The tester show that the GNG motor has 120 degree halls. Does any one know if the S12S controller from BMSBattery can do 120? I also don't know why the power cuts.

Does any one know what the C2 parameter setting is about quantum phase motors? I've spent another whole weekend trying to get this to work and feel its going to be marked down as an expensive mistake on my part

Hello,
Did you do any progress? I wanted to use S12S with GNG because of great PAS support.
Thanks

Hi,
I also have similar problem - trying to use S12SH controller (and LCD3 display) with GNG motor.
I tested all 36 hall-phase combos and for every hall combination (when testing 6 phase combinations) I get one forward and one reverse combination that does rotate but changes tone when rotating more throttle. From that moment watts are going up (from 30W to 60W) and then start to rise quick.
And sometimes motor stops then (is cut by controller?). If I release throttle and apply again, then motor spins again. I dont want to do full throttle because watts are already 400W when I release throttle (too much for unloaded motor without toothbelt - with stock controller it is about 100-120W)

I also made video where tone change can be hopefully heard. I will upload it to youtube if there is interest for that. Today I go to sleep
- time is 01:13 already :S

Is my controller defective or it is not compatible with GNG motor?

Meelis

I guess S12S doesn't support mid drive kits. Hub motor has probably different phase angle.
Check this
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65508

dusan said:
I guess S12S doesn't support mid drive kits. Hub motor has probably different phase angle.
Check this
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65508

So your your conhismotor controller is similar? So your only problem was motor cutting out and it got fixed by P2=1 setting and speed sensor?
I dont understand P1 setting - What it exactly changes? Is it used for speed sensing if not using dedicated speed sensor?

Meelis

I was searching for controller with good PAS support. I wasn't sure if S12S is for mid drive kit also. So I choosed Conhismotor new controller. That controller is using torque simulation as well and power is distributed not by speed / voltage but by current.
My first controller from them was not enough powerful for GNG, it was suit for different power curves probably.
Second one, 12Amp rated and 25Amp max works fine. You still can switch to regular speed, voltage management instead of simulated torque. But no need. With torque simulation you can safely set PAS level support. My actual consumption is somewhere between 4-5Wh/km with significant comfort. It really depends on your riding style.
Problem with cutting out was solved with more powerful version of controller, you should ask Conhismotor.
P1 - motor working frequency range, based on your reduction rate
P2 - external speed sensor

Hi,
that seems strange: "My first controller from them was not enough powerful for GNG, it was suit for different power curves probably. ".
if controller is weaker (less amps) then motor just seems weaker. But I am not expert, maybe it has something to tod phase angles/timing, like in my case ?

Anyway, I still did not make S12SH to work with my GNG motor. It rotates but makes different sound and draws more current. Dont want to try full throttle because this is not good.
It is somehow uncompatible combination. Tried all SLCD-3 advanced settings (C2 setting made some difference: got it better but not perfect - 0,5,6,7 was better, 2,3,4 was worser)

My actual settings are
P1 - 180, P2 - 1, P3 - 1, P4 - 0, P5 - 10
C1 - 1, C2 - 0, C3 - 0, C4 - 0, C5 - 0, C6 - 3, C7 - 0, C8 - 0, C9 - 0, C10 - n, C11 - 0, C12 - 7

What's your controller rated/max current?
My not working one was 15A max, 350W. Was only 6Fets, really small like cigarette box.
Next, working one is 25A max, probably 500W. Is 12 Fets.

I have this controller: 800W rated, 35A max
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/667-s12sh-800w-35a-torque-simulation-sine-wave-controller-ebike-kit.html

It there any particular setting that made big difference in smooth vs rough running?

dusan said:
My actual settings are
P1 - 180, P2 - 1, P3 - 1, P4 - 0, P5 - 10
C1 - 1, C2 - 0, C3 - 0, C4 - 0, C5 - 0, C6 - 3, C7 - 0, C8 - 0, C9 - 0, C10 - n, C11 - 0, C12 - 7

What's your controller rated/max current?
My not working one was 15A max, 350W. Was only 6Fets, really small like cigarette box.
Next, working one is 25A max, probably 500W. Is 12 Fets.

I didn't play with C2 parameter yet, from my point of view it seems only interesting parameter for you.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62469#p933935
But I am bit sceptic of Sine wave controller and GNG.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37377&start=150#p709366

Back