How to limit current of controller?

Photoguy

10 µW
Hello

I have bafang 350w motor with 500w controller and battery pack.

There is no problem with this setup so far but cable between motor and controller is getting warm.

What kind of circuit or resistor can be placed between battery and controller to limit current by %30 percent?

Note: i Can not afford to buy a new controller.

Thank you

Putting a resistor into the phase wires would be a bad idea. ;) They power used would still be the same, and the BIIIIIIGGG resistor would just produce a lot of heat.
There are two correct ways:
.) program the controller and reduce the power output that way
.) upgrade wires to thicker ones

Yeah easiest and cheapest is most likely upgrading the phase wiring if it's getting warm for it's entire length. If it's just getting warm in a certain spot then it's probably a bad connection or damaged wire.

Even if you can't replace the entire length all the way through the axle inside, going as far as you can with thicker wire will still improve the overall resistance.

Thank you all for your replies...

The controller is very plain. There is no programmable options.

It applies tooo much abrupt power when throttle is open and battery durability is also another point.

So i have to limit the current in some point. I can not buy a new controller.

What should i do?

A CA is gonna cost at least as much as a controller.

The only practical way you're going to be able to limit current with a non programmable controller is by modifying it's shunt, very carefully cutting a bit of it away to make it thinner. It's not the most scientific process but it will do the job. It also will cost essentially nothing.

Do a search on this forum for "shunt mod" to get an idea of what's involved.

Cable between motor and controller getting warm....really?

Don't worry about it or put thicker wires.

Photoguy said:
What kind of circuit or resistor can be placed between battery and controller to limit current by %30 percent?
There's nothing (other than the Cycle Analyst from http://ebikes.ca ) that can do that specifically.

But if you open up the controller and post pics of the end where the battery wires go in to the board, we may be able to help you modify the shunt so the controller itself reduces it's current draw from the battery.

A 3-speed throttle modifier might help you to use less throttle.

Thank you for your help it is very apreciated.

So my options are using tinner shunt and 3 speed controller mod.

Do you think using tinner shunt will cause overheating of shunt and cause circuit break?

The shunt will run at about the same temperature it does now, because as you increase it's resistance the controller lowers the amount of current running through it accordingly.

Back