DIY outrunner instructable

spinningmagnets

Staff member
The poster provides hints as to where you can find a trash DC stator of the proper configuration (number of teeth/slots, and diameter) that is close to the target size for the motor you want, but also provides links to order new stacked-lamination stators (apparently custom hobby-motor building is growing in popularity). He provides links, formulas, and advise on BLDC motor design from scratch.

It seems that a custom winding to achieve a particular kV is popular, so he includes links to calculate a rough estimate, so you get a reasonably accurate version 1.0

One thorny part is that by using purchased strong Neo magnets, a custom steel cylinder must be made for the spinning outer-can. He recommends buying a hobby lathe large enough to turn the precise inner diameter of the steel pipe, in order to get a narrow gap of a controlled dimesion. Other than that, I found it to be written in an understandable manner for a beginner (me), but technically detailed enough that I have confidence in the advice.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Your-Own-Miniature-Electric-Hub-Motor

Magnets-and-Magnet-Wire.jpg

very cool .

combine that article with a fisher paykel stator and we got a winner . funny steel pipe is exactly what i sourced out to remake the magnet ring for the f&p i found . with that write up to use as a guide this should be a breeze.

thanks

ps local shop quoted me $30 to face each side and turn the id of the chunk of pipe i have for that project. new neos will run bout $60 . if it works good without a rewind its a no brainer.

Thanks! This should be useful for finishing up the cieling-fan-motor conversion that Karma is rewinding for me, since I will have to build my own flux ring once it's back here.

Great project you are taking on here!!!
Would love to see someone develop a motor with a qulity
stator bigger than 9Continients 28mm and smaller Crystalytes 53mm
I think the challege here will be getting the stator.
Are you leaning toward using protolam custom stator or salvaging a stator from something else?
What are the specs on the magnets you are using? Where did you get those?

I'm probably a year away from even starting to build a motor from scratch. However I know others are collecting the information needed to design one. It seemed the info collected so far was technical enough that it was hard for me to digest, and I thought I'd just wait a year and see what others came up with first!

I stumbled across this instructable (someone else wrote it), and thought it might be useful to others here. I hadn't considered the F&P, but its diameter and slim shape is close to what I feel is missing from the available line-up of motor options. I like the Stokemonkey configuration, and if they weren't so very expensive, I probably wouldn't bother with studying about custom DIY motors.

I thought it was very useful to see that a magnet of the proper "odd" size can be made from combining several smaller magnets (if the correct custom-motor magnet size was unavailable off-the-shelf). So now, It would seem that if someone wanted to build a custom radial motor, the only limiting factor is finding used (or ordering new) stator laminations close to your desired diameter (with the correct tooth-count, of course)

Laminations can be peeled off or added to achieve the desired width, and magnets of the needed size/shape can be ordered. Then, steel pipe can be cut and shaved to the proper ID. I know its "possible" to make sheet-metal laminations from scratch in a garage, but a laminated stator would be the hardest part for me to make. If I could finalize a design and find a lam-stator thats close...suddenly the project seems very doable!

Good to see that my writeup is being passed around. You all are welcome to scan it for any theoretical errors or things which could use more clarification. Though keep in mind that I had to distill things down pretty far to make it more accessible.

teamtestbot i ty for your time writing that up 8) . i intend to put it to use as soon as ive actually completed my off the shelf project bike.

ill be using an f&p stator as ive said above and intend on using your info as a guide.

hopefully the lessons learned will translate to another inrunner project ive shelved for now .

Back