Scootabot

Emoto

10 kW
Been Designing this one for a year now, researched all components , bought some parts , and then thought no ill do a kickbike.
But i think this scooter will be a lot cooler 8) more power full.. but of course a lot more fabrication / designing and a generally a bigger torture :| .
So here is the brief as of now.. full custom aluminum frame - with alloy mag wheels and custom alloy hubs with 13x 6.5 '' tyres
Reduction drive with big block inrunner type motor [ still to be decided ] and just to make it harder, BELT DRIVE for a more silent ride.
And to add to the quieter theme sine wave controller . And lipo
Let the build begin..
SAM_3767.JPG
SAM_3778.JPG
SAM_3775.JPG

I like it. Looking forward to watching you build this, please keep us updated on your progress.

Thanks Gaffer i will.
Ive been in deep thought the last couple of days ,
One thing im going to change is the size of the 6 m5 hub bolts to m6 just for a bit of security.
Also playing with cad and plan on a custom alloy 44mm bcd to 5.1/4'' bcd hub to pulley adapter to mount kart toothed pulleys :)

And after doing all dimensional calks i was just about to start on the main frame fabrication [ no suspension] and thought bugger it i would really like some rear suspension to soak up those small vibrations , especially as im going to all this trouble may as well , its going to be real tight but about 4'' of travel should be ok . with a nice little rockshox air shock .88 - Copy.jpg

Design update..Looks like rear suspension is doable, which im super!! happy with / has to be comfy-ere :D -- ill have to take a hit on main frame size but should still be able to get 20ah of 60v, plus a controller and stagger the air shock on one of the swingarms arms.

The deck will be wide enough to stand both feet parallel facing forward [ cruising ] and ill have a kick plate at around 45 deg at the rear, so i can have one foot forward and other on the rear kick plate which will be a good solid stance for hard acceleration ect also covering the rear wheel like a mudguard .

Ive been struggling finding 30mm belt torque nm ratings, so i spoke to my local harley shop and they use 25mm on one of there nearly 2lt bikes
So thats good enough for me as my power should be around 8/10kw ... 30mm belt it is .will go over design this weekend and hope to start on main frame next week.

Did i say it was going to have rear suspension :lol: Ive flipped on that idea , i only want to ride on smooth cycle-ways and this for me will be a upgrade in ride comfort from my eboard so im betting the bigger wheels alone will achieve this.
This way i get this project moving, and if its as much fun to ride as hoped i can always do a different one later.

Just spotted this one, those wheels are smart if the rest of the ride is up to those standards then it will be a stunner.
The tyres have plenty of sidewall and compliance should be easy eniugh to use offroad, Best scooter I had was with small 4inch wheels and loads of ground clearence, it was great fun on dusty tracks and beginner downhill paths etc so I'm making it again with more beef.

Thought I'd check in and see how you doing. Hope the build is progressing. Cheers

Unfortunately no tangible progress on this , i had a welder lined up but this guy has strung me along for 6 weeks now and ive bailed as he is unreliable . so waiting on another now to slot me in, this is sometimes the reality with custom builds but everything has a price , so ill keep plunging at it .
On top of that im looking at doing a big change in life witch includes moving so this is on the back burner when spare time allows.. still keen though.
Ianhill good to hear it was not to bad off road .[ ill have around 4'' of clearance ] i wont be doing anything like that just the odd squirt on the beach looking for fishing spots. :D those fat tyres should do the job nicely .

Finally my welder did some welding , quite happy about that :D , this is stage one on the main frame .
Not a bad standard welds look good he struggles on vertical with tig [ normal as tig is not the easiest ] , this gives me some good insight for next stage so we will focus on improving this.
Have designed 90% of the next stage, got headset bearings ect .
One nice thing about using extrusion is you have a good base for measurements and alignment.
So now i have something to play with.

Attachments

• SAM_4133.JPG
    SAM_4133.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 7,743
  • SAM_4141.JPG
    SAM_4141.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 7,743
Its been a long time Now and no reply on the specs i need for that motor :banana: .
Lots of measuring / designing on the front end pretty much finalized now , here is the alloy fork 90% there ... a bit of plate fabing / welding ect.. ive now got a new welder to try , still yet to find the right dude.
Sourced some nice long stainless bolts for the wheel axles , and will be getting some custom alloy axle spacers made soon , no expense spared :roll:

Attachments

• SAM_4198.JPG
    SAM_4198.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 7,571
I get why aluminum is the chosen alloy. But with the difficulty of welding it, I often wonder if 1 mm thick mild steel lasercut template strategically folded would not provide enough rigidity. Sure welding thin ms isn't easy either but it can be done, not relying on specialized welders for the job.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

For sure ali welding is a bit of art form and outrageously expensive if you get the wrong people ... but well wort the effort in the end for me, Among other things i love machining it .
This one i might not paint ,Im thinking leaving it raw or i might just polish it and no worries about rusting as i hope be riding on beaches.

Welder has finished welding fork, long wait but some of the best welding ive had done pos the best, im sooo happy.

Moving on to the head tube / down tube, im using 75x50 x3 rhs for my down tube and was going to use the traditional bearings in a tube welded to the rhs , BUT A tube in a 75x50 didnt inspire me as this is a small weld footprint .
So :idea: im gunna [ australian for im going to ] insert a alloy boss holding the bearings inside the rhs ,this will be STRONG
and with a interference fit and a few m6s countersunk to secure it will be very compact and no welding :mrgreen:

Attachments

• SAM_4241.JPG
    SAM_4241.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 7,370
MORE :D ....well i dont have much just thoughts to share as the fork has a date with a big milling machine but soon as i get it ill post some pics of the welding ect.
Im using CAD [cardboard assisted design ] :p i actually like it better than digital in some ways as its tangible, real world, you can stand back and adjust it...
On the down tube and braces , ive decided to use some 75x75 connecting the 75x50 you can see the cut angles / weld = purple lines.
Those angles should load-bear nicely and the red line will be a triangulated plate both sides to brace side loads + help with forward and rearward loads , and double as a sort of mudguard. Thats it for now .... :bolt: :bolt:

First post on this forum....just signed up this morning :D

I have been designing an e-scooter for the last few weeks as on a recent trip to San Diego, I noticed that they were everywhere!!! Have been sourcing and ordering parts for the last couple of weeks. Then...I stumbled across your post!!

All I can say is WOW!!! This is exactly the way that I like to do things, except I try to do everything myself. I design and build stuff just for the fun of it (CNC mill and lathe, tons of drones and gimbals, coffee grinders, and 50 mph golf carts) Your post has me excited, as to the possibilities of what is possible. Thanks for sharing...Now I'm gonna go out in the garage and cut up some steel :wink:

First post and Just signed up, and want to diy, Then the sphere is the perfect place for you :D WELCOME.

I envy you having easy access to that machinery , i dont have a garage atm but luckily have some limited access to a place to fab and a model mill for basic stuff , makes this build more of a challenge than my previous build so ive kept this one as simple as poss.
If this is going to be as much fun to ride as i hope, might just do another one, got half of the design in my head.....
Look forward to your build if you thread it.

Thanks for the encouragement :D

I have always found that when I want to design and build something, the internet forums are always the best place for me to learn, research and bounce ideas off of others with similar interests. I have several build threads in internet forums that chronicle the things that i've made over the years. It always feels great when someone gives me a pat on the back or an attaboy for something I'm working on. I am always willing to share my knowledge with what I am working on and appreciate it when other people help me out.

I don't see how this project will be any different, so... I will definitely consider a build thread. Just need to find the time to post as I go along.

Once again.... thank you. I will follow your build eagerly!!!!!

Got the down-tube braces design i like , should give the extra strength + front rear /side support needed.
And looks better than a simple plate , have sourced materials, this stage will be one of the most important especially coming up with a clamping method to guarantee that is straight for the welding :shock:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 7,104
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 7,104
What you gonna use for a fork ? I like the idea of utilizing a tapered headset and maybe use integrated cups with a sealed cartridge bearing so the fork sits really close to the frame and adding some strength, the weak spot of all the scooters I've had over time has been the headset bearings wearing or braking I'd like to build a custom frame like yourself after my current build, great work its gonna be a beauty.

Fork is a few post back,[ not 100% done yet] good to know about bearing wear... i thought bearings would get a pounding so
i had some 37x12xs, using those and if they dont last i made sure i can get some tapered - same size as replacements .
Id be happy to see you do a build .

Deep in thought Working out the handle bar to fork connection + materials size atm ...... fork welding pics imminent :pancake:

Back