2008 Ezip Trails Mountain Bike - Review

EcoForumZ

10 W
Review - 2008 E-Zip trailz electric mountain bicycle.

Building it:

Just got an E-Zip trailz electric bicycle the other day. The E-Zip mountain trailz electric bicycle came with all the tools I needed to build it and very detailed directions which I never used The bike is almost completely assembled you just need to install the handlebars, seat, front tire, and then check to make sure all bolts are tight. The tires also needed to be fully inflated so make sure you get a bike pump preferably with a built in PSI gauge. Make sure you inflate the tires to the maximum PSI allowed. In all it should only take about 15 minutes to unpack and build.

The Ride:

I took the bike for a 14.4 mile ride on my first trip. The trip I planned was uphill half of the way which I didn't realize until I was already on my way. The hill was not steep at all but it was definitely not flat. Over all I traveled 6.7 miles up a small incline hill, .5 up a big hill, and then 6.7 down hill and .5 miles down hill. Going up the .5 mile hill after already going 7.2 miles sucked some serious juice out of the batteries. I was still able to make it back home at full speed until about 1/4 from my house the batteries started to die. I did peddle most of the way up hill but didn't really peddle when going down hill. When I say peddling I was not peddling hard at all and was just basically going through the motion of peddling. However I did peddle a little hard when going up the steep hill because I was a little worried I would run out of power and be stuck 6 miles from home.

Top Speed:

As far as top speed I don't know for sure but it was definitely fast enough to make people turn around and look. The motor was pretty quite but it is noticeable when you fly past somebody walking down the street. The top rated speed is 18mph but if you peddle and assist the motor you can probably get up to 25mph. That will be my next test to see what the actual speed is without peddling, with mild peddling, and with hard peddling.

Review:

I love the bike and look forward to my next ride. Great bike for people looking to get some exercise or just want to cruise around town and never touch the peddles once. Overall this was the least expensive bike I could find. It actually cost less than a non motorized bike I was going to buy but is much more fun. If you are looking to save money on gas or commute to work then I would definitely consider this bike. You can also add a second battery which doubles the estimated 15 - 18 mile range to 30 - 36 miles.

Ebike tips:

- Buy a bike lock (These bikes get a lot of attention good and bad)
- Buy a bike pump with built in gauge and inflate tires to maximum PSI.
- Start charging the batteries as soon as you get the bike.
- Check all bolts and make sure the front and rear brakes work.
- To save power peddle to 5 - 10 mph before using motor (Taking off from 0 mph all the time will suck up a lot of electricity)
- When going down hills don't use the motor.
- After you ride the bike charge the batteries right away.

UPDATE:

After picking up a cateye micro wireless speedometer I took the bike out for another test drive. See my review of the cateye speedometer here

The test environment:

The bike was tested with a full charge using the stock SLA 24v 10ah battery pack. This was the 6th time the battery pack was charged. The test rider was wearing normal cargo shorts and a tee shirt. Rider weight is 170 lbs. Tested on a flat road with the outside temp at 75 degrees. Tires were inflated to the maximum PSI as specified on the tire. The cateye speedometer was calibrated to the exact tire diameter.

Tests:

No Peddling
Test 1 - No peddling sitting upright avg. top speed was 17.2MPH
Test 2 - No peddling bent over for most aerodynamic position avg. top speed was 17.8MPH

Mild Peddling
Test 3 - Mild peddling sitting upright avg. top speed was 18.3MPH
Test 4 - Mild peddling bent over for most aerodynamic position avg. top speed was 18.9MPH

Hard peddling
Test 5 - Hard peddling bent over for most aerodynamic position avg. top speed was 23.7MPH

NEXT TEST:

The next test will be with a lifePO4 36v 15ah battery pack. This should increase the power of the motor by 50%. With no peddling the new top speed should be around 25MPH. Check back soon for 36v battery test results.

The Full Review is listed below including images. Check link below for update on 36v 15ah battery pack.

http://www.ecoforumz.com/ecar-ebike-reviews/2331-review-e-zip-trailz-electric-bicycle.html

See the youtube video below. Will be doing the 36v LifePO4 test soon. Should increase the top speed by 50%.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TrjJ9cysPW0

Hi Ecoforumz -

Nice review and an enjoyable read. Look forward to your future report with the LiFEPO4's.

Just got one. Plan on making mechanical mods. A friend at http://www.motoredbikes.com suggested this forum for electrical mods, so I joined. I didn't where you say hi here, so um HI!

Hi

Glad you love your new ride, you sound just like me 5 years ago when I got my first USPD bike, same speeds as well! great little machine, nice and simple, you can run them at 36V, they do run a little hotter some folks on here have done this and some motors burnt and others had to be forced cooled, still you will get a good performance hike from it.

Welcome to the world of e-biking, I have 5 different e-bike including the BMX and KMX, they are so much fun! get some new batteries in your ride first off that will give you so much more range, a nice post too very readable!!

Knoxie

Passive cooling like on Tyler's camo bike should be enough. I did similar hole drilling. Got it so hot I couldn't hold my finger on to it- on a steep hill at 36v, and still it was ok. Forced would be more better tho.

Hi Eco.. great writeup. I too have an ezip and especially appreciate your tips section. I too am looking at battery improvements so will look forward to hear about your experiences.

knoxie said:
Hi

Glad you love your new ride, you sound just like me 5 years ago when I got my first USPD bike, same speeds as well! great little machine, nice and simple, you can run them at 36V, they do run a little hotter some folks on here have done this and some motors burnt and others had to be forced cooled, still you will get a good performance hike from it.

Welcome to the world of e-biking, I have 5 different e-bike including the BMX and KMX, they are so much fun! get some new batteries in your ride first off that will give you so much more range, a nice post too very readable!!

Knoxie

I have been considering a recumbant bike for a project bike. How do you like the KMX? I think I saw your video that thing looks like a blast to ride. I am planning on adding some holes in the motor for some extra cooling. I have a 36v lifePO4 battery pack on the way which should be here any day. As soon as I get it I will do another video with top speed. I am hoping to hit around 25MPH with the new battery pack. I was doing 25MPH down a hill yesterday and that is pretty fast on a bicycle not sure if I want to go much faster than that. Of course after I have been doing 25MPH for a few days I will have a need to go even faster.

I Will keep you all posted and should have an updated 36v test soon. I plan to make a video of the whole process of upgrading to a 36v battery on an ezip so look for that as well.

Man these bikes are a blast! I have had mine for about 3 weeks and have taken it out for a ride every single day. Since I live in california and it is now summer I can go for a nice ride every night around 8pm while it is still in the mid 70's outside. Great way to get some fresh air and relax. Anyway below are some more ezip review details.

Ezip trailz mountain bike test:

Terrain: 50% flat surface, 25% downhill, 25% uphill.
Total time: 32.09 minutes
Avg speed: 16.2 MPH
Total distance: 8.69 Miles

Had to stop 4 times for street lights, test was performed with no peddling on flat surface or while going down hill. I did peddle mildly while going up the hills.

36v test is coming soon!

Hi

Yes the KMX is a blast to ride, its a great park and cycle lane bike, I feel a little vulnerable on the road on it, but there are enough parks and cycle lanes for me around here so its fine, I dont ride it all the time but its a great summer bike and I will be flying out on it in the summer months to come.

Knoxie

Just installed my 36v lifePO4 battery and went for a test ride. All I can say is HOLY CR@P!

Top speed on flat surface 27.6MPH (could gone faster if I bent over to be more aerodynamic but that is a little scary go this fast.)
Top speed up mild hill 24.3MPH
The sound of the motor at these speeds was AWESOME!
Smile on my face endless!

I know some of you guys have bikes that do 40+MPH but 27MPH was amazling fast on a bike. I thought I wanted to build a bike with a X5 or BMC motor and add enough juice to do 40+MPH but I think 27MPH is plenty fast.

Gotta get some sleep but will post pictures and full details tomorrow.

Youtube video of the bike running at 36v with a 50% increase in top speed and torque. Will post video with complete directions on how to perform the mod in few days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2SSqTyRhQk

Update: Tested the battery and it is 42v not 36v. Paid for 36v got 42v not bad!

I agree! I just hate the noise! Sorry! :lol: I used my wife Ping Batt on my trike with the Currie rear end and it accellerated up our 1/2 mi 8% hill and did it 5 times in a row! I went back down after each time to cool the motor! My42 volt NiMh doesnt even come close!
otherDoc
Oh yeah, were talking ofer 300 lbs of bike and human! and it did 12 mph! I only pedaled cause I felt guilty!!!

EcoForumZ said:
Youtube video of the bike running at 36v with a 50% increase in top speed and torque. Will post video with complete directions on how to perform the mod in few days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2SSqTyRhQk

Update: Tested the battery and it is 42v not 36v. Paid for 36v got 42v not bad!

Wow. good deal! Did you get the matching 42 volt charger to go with it? :lol:

I used a fluke laser Infrared thermometer on my motor to see how hot it gets at 42v at full throttle for 30 minutes in 90 degree weather. I pointed the laser all over it and found that the front of the motor is much hotter than any place else. The back was 109 degrees, the outer ribbed circle was also 109, but the front of the motor was 147 degrees.

I also opened up the box holding the controller and checked the temp in there and everything was 97 degrees the controller was 107 degrees. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Checked the batteries as well the lifepo4 cells were 97 degrees.

By "Front" U mean the part with the gearbox. That makes sense! 150 degrees may mean time for cooling!?!?!?! I will test my mock plenum in the AM, but I dont think its gonna help withthe cooling problem yet, just the noise!
otherDoc
edit: Hmmmm! Maybe the fan could be attached to the external gearshaft? Ill have to wait till it gets light to check! That is about 150 rpm average! Need a decent size fan to get airflo! Also holes! Darn!!!

docnjoj said:
By "Front" U mean the part with the gearbox. That makes sense! 150 degrees may mean time for cooling!?!?!?! I will test my mock plenum in the AM, but I dont think its gonna help withthe cooling problem yet, just the noise!
otherDoc
edit: Hmmmm! Maybe the fan could be attached to the external gearshaft? Ill have to wait till it gets light to check! That is about 150 rpm average! Need a decent size fan to get airflo! Also holes! Darn!!!

Attached is a picture of what I mean by the front.

motor.JPG

After taking apart the motor the other day I am still thinking about the best method for cooling while still keeping the motor safe and quite. Adding holes in the motor will increase cooling but will also in crease the noise and chance of debris getting in. I am going to see if I can find a place that sells a large selection of K&N filters to see if they have anything that will fit directly over the motor like this one.K&N filter.jpg

EcoForumZ said:
I am going to see if I can find a place that sells a large selection of K&N filters to see if they have anything that will fit directly over the motor like this one.

Whatever the effect is on motor temp and cleanliness, having an item of K&N equipment on a bicycle oughta freak out the internal-combustion hi-perf folks :p

- Dave

Dave,

Might I have purchased a rigid Ti MTb fork off of you in the past? If so, good to see another retailer step into the forum discussions - hopefully ebike products will begin showing up in cycling retail stores!

great fork by the way!

Len

davespicer said:
EcoForumZ said:
I am going to see if I can find a place that sells a large selection of K&N filters to see if they have anything that will fit directly over the motor like this one.

Whatever the effect is on motor temp and cleanliness, having an item of K&N equipment on a bicycle oughta freak out the internal-combustion hi-perf folks :p

- Dave

I agree if nothing else it would look cool. Took the bike for a 5 mile test drive withe the second half up hill for 2.5 miles. The motor temp was 147 degrees not to bad. I also measured the outside of the motor so I can find a K&N filter to fit it.

Motor measurement 2.5" X 4.5"

Lenk42602 said:
Dave,
Might I have purchased a rigid Ti MTb fork off of you in the past?
I'm not sure whether to reply "Not me" or "Not this Dave Spicer".

Oh, I got it: (in Obi-Wan Kenobe voice)

"This is not the Dave Spicer you're looking for."

:mrgreen:

- Dave

*** Two day test results ***

Bike 2008 Ezip trailz mountain bike
36v 10ah lifePO4 battery pack

Tested twice over two days in hot weather to get a base line and averages
Day 1 94 degrees, Day 2 92 degrees
Total distance 12.98 miles
No peddling at all not even on starts
Started with fully charged cells, measured at 42v
Stopped 17 times for lights, stop signs
Tested on a 4 mile loop that is 50% down hill and 50% uphill
2 miles down, then 2 miles up, hill is mild nothing major
Speed down hill avg. 27 - 29 MPH
Speed uphill avg. 23 - 25MPH
Average amps 34, max amps 42

*** Heat Tests ***

Checked temps of all components directly after riding
Front of motor temp 147 degrees
Side of motor 129 degrees
Back of motor facing wheel 127 degrees
Cell temps 97
Battery Management System (BMS) 109 deg
Bike Controller 101 degrees

Battery was 38v after 12.98 mile ride
Rode bike another 1.4 miles before it died
Range of batteries was greatly reduced because I never peddled
With normal riding conditions the bike could easily go 15 -18 miles or more

Great report!

That's gettin kinda hot. You can bet the coils are really cooking. You might want to take the cover off and look for discoloration.

You might also order a spare motor from TNC, you're getting close to the failure-point.

8)

TylerDurden said:
Great report!

That's gettin kinda hot. You can bet the coils are really cooking. You might want to take the cover off and look for discoloration.

You might also order a spare motor from TNC, you're getting close to the failure-point.

8)

Thanks for the tips. I took it apart two days ago to add some holes but didn't have all the tools to get the job done. Will be adding some cooling in the next few days. I also wanted to order my K&N filter to prevent debris from getting in the motor.

Will keep you all posted.

Great news!

Found a K&N filter that fits perfectly, is water resistant, and can withstand up to 230 degrees. I have tested a none modified motor and the hottest it has ever gotten was 147 degrees. They have 3 different filter wraps to choose from but I chose the snowcharger because it is also water repellent. No need to worry about water or dirt getting in now.

Before anybody asks I did speak to K&N about the tempature rating and to outerwares who actually makes these filters for K&N.

URL of filter - http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=SN-2580PK

Here she is... What a beauty!

Back