Stealth Bomber goes Adaptto at 12kW

Offroader, one DBHE II is about 44,5gramms
I payed quiete a lot of money for the pack, but this is mainly because they where totally new on the market.
Around 7-8USD per cell but this includes shipping, welding job that is is complete with all the wires, balancing connector for Adaptto and a breaker.

Doc, video is coming soon.

Hi Allex thanks to share this, very nice detailed pictures!

Sorry I am curios: did you already own a Stealth or maybe you had a special price to get that delivered without battery controller ecc?
Does Stealth sell just the bike platform?

Also, I need your advice on this,if you have 5 minutes:
I saw your link for the 63C circuit breaker,
I guess that one is not waterproof circuit, is it?

I found this breaker (UL489) and I was reading at the pdf on the following page:
http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Electrical/ProductsandServices/CircuitProtection/IndustrialMiniatureCircuitBreakers/RemoteControlledCircuitBreakers/index.htm#tabs-2

This is a briefing on the install:
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&allowInterrupt=1&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&noSaveAs=0&Rendition=Primary&dDocName=998056290853

Since it's a remote controlled unit can be placed in some waterproofed location
and have a switch on off button on your handlebar.

I went through my newbie interpretation of the specifics, do you mind to have a look and confirm if it is a valid alternative or not?

Please find specs at page V4-T1-31 of the "Catalogs" pdf
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&allowInterrupt=1&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&noSaveAs=0&Rendition=Primary&dDocName=VOL04_TAB01

Will that two pole, (120/240 V~, 15-30 amp
- 10,000 amps RMS) interrupting work or 30amp is too tiny?
How this compare to the ABB S201-C63

My system is almost identical to yours, thanks a lot for your help.

Allex owned the Bomber from new. A regular bomber just like the others. He started to upgrade parts after warranty was out.
AFAIK the bare frame of Bomber is not possible to buy - although I know of 1 es member that managed to buy a bare Fighter frame. IIRC he was already a customer at Stealth bikes for a long time and had good relations with them so that thing is not common and probably not possible for you and me.

As far as the fuses all I can say is look at this it might be of help. They come in various "sizes". And cost next to nothing.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/15757016151/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsIz3CjQ1xegSIx%252bXwYcKjJvf5EnyyH4g0%3d

Here is a wider variety:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/240/littelfuse_boltdown_fusestrips_housing_bp_80v-523197.pdf

Thank you!

Doc, here is the video. As you can see without OVS the current start to drop when the motor reach its maximum speed. And if you watch previous video when I have high OVS it will make the controller to push maximum amp constanly, because it wants to get to that rotation speed set with OVS.
You can clearly see why Stealth had their controllers programmed at 60-65Amps and 4500Watts in the past, this is probably what we need to get to the ~85km/h speeds
[youtube]SY7MTsbTDqY[/youtube]

Cicada; no that one is not waterproof and I think that 30A is bit to weak, it should take 7200Watts so you push it further it will probably engage.

According to the adaptto website the Max-E will do bursts of 16kW. From what I can see the max you are getting is 12.6kW. Very impressive controller but im just wondering what you'd have to do to get the 16kW peaks?

Nice vid Allex!

... And Thanks for doing it !!! :wink:

So we can see that the OVS can give at least 25-30 more km/h speed witch is awsome!

It's like the OVS fake a higher kv motor and modify the BEMF to continu pushing current.

That was with the 5403 or the MXUS?

Doc

Stielz said:
According to the adaptto website the Max-E will do bursts of 16kW. From what I can see the max you are getting is 12.6kW. Very impressive controller but im just wondering what you'd have to do to get the 16kW peaks?

Bigger motor?
Or maybe unlock the controller firmware?

Allex said:
Thank you!

Doc, here is the video. As you can see without OVS the current start to drop when the motor reach its maximum speed. And if you watch previous video when I have high OVS it will make the controller to push maximum amp constanly, because it wants to get to that rotation speed set with OVS.

This is the question that I have always had (If acceleration falls off at the same place even when OVS). Looking at both videos and what you just said clearly shows that it doesn't. I really want one of these controllers now. It will just be so hard to part with my zombiess EB324 which is one of the only 2 that work. I either need to buy a charger and bms or get a max-e and the charger and BMS option will cost around $500-600 so I almost might as well go with the max-e.

Thanks for posting those awesome videos Allex!

Hello to all of the readers of this thread, I'm the proud new owner from Italy of this wonderful Stealth Bomber. As was suggested by Allex I will continue this thread by adding the changes that I will feel appropriate to make.
First of all I have installed a 1,2KΩ 10W pre charge resistor between the breaker contacts, I’m going to let that resistor always there. I know that is not needed but I wanted to try anyway. These days the breaker is OFF and I’ve been checking on a daily base the voltage of the cells and I have not yet had a significant voltage drop. Nothing changed from few days.

20150331_122419.jpg

Also I have installed a PAS System on the right side of the V-Boxx. This is not a straight forward operation because the PAS is designed for a standard bike.
This is the PAS as delivered from this e-bike seller: http://www.alcedoitalia.it/shop/accessori/pas-per-bici-elettrica/#!prettyPhoto

2011481839_PAS_12_magneti.jpg

On the late I have reduced the outer diameter and enlarged the inner diameter of the PAS disk and made two carbon fiber 1mm thicknes disks that are fitted as in the following pictures.
The main problem is the little gap that remains between the pedal crank and V-Boxx after tightening the pedal crank. It's 1mm on the right side. The PAS disk is 4mm thickness so I have made the little carbon disc with an hexagon in the center and decided to mount the PAS disk on the hub pedal crank. At the end I needed some more play between the PAS disk and the sensor so I have made the bigger carbon disk. I was enough lucky to have made a small interference between the hub of the crank arm and the inner hole of the PAS disc to have a mounting stack of the 3 discs. Tightening the screw everything is packed and it allows me to install everything without glue between the discs or screws.
The carbon discs are crap made but I wanted to be as fast as possible and made them with my hands.

20150403_000142.jpg

20150403_000809.jpg

20150403_000914.jpg

20150402_231804.jpg

Also I bought a small circuit where I will plugs the Throttle, the PAS and the wires from the Adaptto display, this circuit is called Gas Legalize and is made by an Italian e-biker. It will connect +5V to the Throttle only while the pedals are spinning.

This morning I got the circuit to use with the PAS.
This is roughly the schematic, the builder made some modifications at the final review.
There is the possibility to close the contact labeled Disabler in the pic and doing that the Throttle is connected to +5V as it is before adding the circuit.

201184111630_schema.jpg

This is the circuit, it's very little (MANET is the Throttle input):

20150409_120253.jpg

20150409_120018.jpg

The builder added the feature called 6Km/h that override the PAS. Connecting together the orange wires with a switch it allows to ride the e-bike at a very low speed with out twisting the throttle for few seconds. It was introduced to move the e-bike up to a ramp just outside the garage for example.

The next days I will install the circuit inside the frame and I hope everything will work as expected. :D

The great news is that PAS WORKS :D

PAS circuit mounting:
These are the new connections needed to use the Gas Legalize (GL) circuit.
Throttle is connected in the following way (to MANET in the picture above): Throttle +5V red to red input wire on GL, Throttle (-) yellow to black input wire on GL and Throttle green signal to yellow input wire on GL. There is also one wire of the disenabling two wires cable soldered on the red +5V.

20150411_010908.jpg

The 4 wires cable coming from the Adaptto display is connected in the following way (to GAS CENTRAL in the picture above): Adaptto black (-) to black input wire on GL, Adaptto brown +5V to red input wire on GL and Adaptto blu signal to white input wire on GL. The other wire of the disenabling two wires cable is soldered on the red input wire on GL too and the regen brake is the same as before.

20150411_012003.jpg

This is what I made to close the contact on the disenabling two wires cable (I will use a jumper):
This way PAS work:

20150411_024128.jpg

This way the PAS is disabled and I can use the Throttle as it is standard on the Bomber:

20150411_024501.jpg

On the e-bike PAS Disabled:

20150411_025311.jpg

On the e-bike PAS Enabled:

20150411_025404.jpg

This is a video that shows the system functioning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC9dw3Gknvo

Allex said:
Thank you!

You can clearly see why Stealth had their controllers programmed at 60-65Amps and 4500Watts in the past, this is probably what we need to get to the ~85km/h speeds
[youtube]SY7MTsbTDqY[/youtube]

Cicada; no that one is not waterproof and I think that 30A is bit to weak, it should take 7200Watts so you push it further it will probably engage.

Allex,

thanks for the Video. You need for around 80kmh approx. 50-60A Battery current. Please explaine the OVS functions more because this is a very interesting function for the controller and to find the right setup. A buddy from me have a max-e and from time to time I can play with his controller and I can install this controller into my 4503 motor. This 3 turn motor runs into a 20" BMX rim an 16" Continental tyre. With my 18Fet4110 controller I use 24S but for the max-e I can use only 20-22S. Can I have the same top speed the the max-e and OVS funktion? How much OVS is good in your thinking?

Do you mean 5403 motor?
You could use 24s but it will limit the current until it reaches 92Volts.
I suggest to charge your 24s to 98Volts
But in the case of 24s, dont use OVS, you can blow the FETs

Using 20s it is safe to have OVS7 with 22s probably OVS2?

OVS could give you about 30% of speed gain.
like when I tried MXUS 4t on 20s, it gave me 70km/h and with OVS5-7 the speed went up to 100km/h

Some mixed riding:
[youtube]KKIB0sMlfoQ[/youtube]

@Allex.

I had no idea OVS was so insane. In fact speed increase from 70-100 km/h is a 42,9% improvement.
That is just off the charts. I was hoping OVS would yield at best 10-12 km/h or maybe even 15-20%. But you actually gets a 43% higher speed.

What current are the max-e pumping out increasing from 70 and up to max?

yep, but the motor temperature will tell you when you need to turn it down. at least to value 2 or so..
btw: anyone else noticed a cooler runnning motor when using OVS 1 or 2 instead of leaving it disabled?
what could be the reason?

Back