Battery Cable connectors?? Waterproof?

Brlowe

100 mW
I'm in the process of adding a TSDZ2 motor to my Ice Adventure recumbent trike. I will be adding a longer battery power cable with a connector near the motor. What connectors are people using for the battery cable and are they waterproof?
I see a lot of XT60 and XT90 connectors but are they waterproof? Or is there a waterproof version of the anderson power pole?
Any help would be great.

If you pack XT90's with dielectric grease, and cover the connection with some kind of shroud, I would feel safe running through the rain.

Also add drip-loops to every external run of wire.

spinningmagnets said:
If you pack XT90's with dielectric grease, and cover the connection with some kind of shroud, I would feel safe running through the rain.

Also add drip-loops to every external run of wire.

That would work but I'm looking for something I can connect and disconnect easy and cleanly.

DTP series Deutsch

DTM / DT for smaller stuff.

There are "weather resistant" booties for Andersons if it makes you feel better, check out Aussie eBay and PowerWerx.com, more by googling.

But why so fixated on "waterproof"? Submerged in seawater maybe.

Millions of rigs running high amps through rainstorms even river crossings with plain old Andersons, long as it's fresh water not even that conductive.

CPC also from TE

And LEMO IP68 military grade, also Bulgin Allied, serious stuff.

Trolling motor deck fittings, but proprietary

Many do just fine with 7-pin trailer plugs

john61ct said:
DTP series Deutsch

DTM / DT for smaller stuff.

There are "weather resistant" booties for Andersons if it makes you feel better, check out Aussie eBay and PowerWerx.com, more by googling.

But why so fixated on "waterproof"? Submerged in seawater maybe.

Millions of rigs running high amps through rainstorms even river crossings with plain old Andersons, long as it's fresh water not even that conductive.

I guess I do not really need waterproof. Just thought it needed to be. I thing I will just use andersons with a bootie around it.

Weatherpack connectors from a boat supply are pretty good. If it's for a battery, get the four, or 6, or 8 pin connectors (any even number).

Bundle half the pins for the positive, and half for the negative.

John61ct is right. Unless your getting salt water submersion, a waterproof plug will just hold in moisture more than anything. I run deans connectors on my e bike and rc cars and larger rc planes. My "beater" rc truck i skip water with all the time, sometimes i don't make it lol. It floats just barely below the surface but if there is grass or weeds that get wrapped around the axels it will suck the truck right down to the bottom lol. I've driven out on the bottom before but it uses sooo many amps driving fully submerged under 2 feet of water digging sand with paddle tires and ripping through weeds. After i get it out it's ready to go again.

Weatherpack is certainly good enough for what (I believe) we're talking about here.

But when "real waterproof" is actually needed, I think the TE Deutsch lines are superior.

For occasional use you don't need the $300 crimper, $50 knockoffs work fine.

Frogslayer said:
John61ct is right. Unless your getting salt water submersion, a waterproof plug will just hold in moisture more than anything. I run deans connectors on my e bike and rc cars and larger rc planes. My "beater" rc truck i skip water with all the time, sometimes i don't make it lol. It floats just barely below the surface but if there is grass or weeds that get wrapped around the axels it will suck the truck right down to the bottom lol. I've driven out on the bottom before but it uses sooo many amps driving fully submerged under 2 feet of water digging sand with paddle tires and ripping through weeds. After i get it out it's ready to go again.

I did not even think about that. My RC trucks just run XT60 connectors and they go fully under water many times without a problem. I will just use and XT90 connector. It may get damp now and then but it should be fine and if it gets damp I will clean it up after the ride is over.

if you just want to keep water off the conductors and contacts, fill the connectors with dieelectric grease just before you plug them together. then there's no space in them for the water to get into.

you can do this to the backs of the connectors, too, where the wires go into the contacts. mayhelp keep water from wicking up the cables.

dielectric grease is old school mediocre. Think about products used on avionics. Boeshield and ACF50 are vastly superior.

Back