All Electric Car Company is Here in US

Beagle123

10 kW
Hi everyone:

I just learned that there's a car company that is producing all electric cars, and they're planning to start selling them later this year. Here's their website:

http://www.codaautomotive.com

They're producing a 333v lithium battery powered car that's about 120hp. Also, it will charge in 6hrs on a standard 220v outlet.

I'd encourage everyone to sign-up for their mailing list.

That one has a sleek design, I like it. Eugene has it's own startup company that supposedly is going to start up production later this year also:

www.arcimoto.com

That car looks awesome. I love the third wheel. Also the lower power setting are more appropprate. A vehicle like that only neads about 80 hp. I'd like to try the lithium option.
E

Coda is a straight-up Chinese product that is not on-sale in the US yet, for the record. I'm not passing judgment on their quality or product, but thought that needed clarification given this thread's title.

dequinox said:
That one has a sleek design, I like it. Eugene has it's own startup company that supposedly is going to start up production later this year also:

http://www.arcimoto.com

To all potential electric vehicle manufacturers,

Please stop wasting our precious resources by building cars that look like space ships. Do you wonder why there weren't many mass produced ICE engined three wheelers? Because they handle like doo doo and are dangerous. It's basic physics. If you want to bring on the electric revolution, build something cool that handles and performs well.

Thanks

Toshi said:
Coda is a straight-up Chinese product that is not on-sale in the US yet, for the record. I'm not passing judgment on their quality or product, but thought that needed clarification given this thread's title.

I suspected that as well. They won't sell well here. It looks like a Kia sedan and I could probably outrun it on my bicycle.....with a bad knee....and a hangover. If the manufacturer is claiming an 11 second 0-60, and it's typical marketing hype, I'd bet the real number is more like 15 seconds, on a fresh battery.

I asked them if their whole manufacturing structure was clean and environmentally sustainable, not just their final product. We'll see.

I am always very skeptical when it comes to claims like "for sale later this year" but all we can see is computer renderings. Especially when it is for something as complex as a car. Legalities and testing can take a loong time on a full passenger vehicle.

This car looks serious enough that it might actually happen - weather it happens in the us too is to be seen

kerosene said:
I am always very skeptical when it comes to claims like "for sale later this year" but all we can see is computer renderings. Especially when it is for something as complex as a car. Legalities and testing can take a loong time on a full passenger vehicle.

This car looks serious enough that it might actually happen - weather it happens in the us too is to be seen

Arcimoto's design isn't exactly the best I've seen for sure, but at least it boasts some decent stats for range. That stuff about being a 2-seat-er is pure bullshit too...its a front-and-back seating arrangement. HA!

At least they're not wasting our time money and resources making more gas-guzzlers...

yeh, get real and limit displacement to 1 liter and 750kg. tax the shit out of it for every ounce over and start rationing gasoline immediately. also there no reason a car has to run on gasoline either since we have 100 trillion cuft of natural gas we can burn too.

make ridesharing the law by providing ration credits depending on how much and how valuable is the ride you provide. create CNG and electric vehicle charging stations everywhere.

we don't need no more stinking fat cars and stupid drivers who could not care less if they hit something like a bicyclist because they bought the biggest fattest stupidist thing you can get from our screwed up immoral car companies.

The weight of the Coda is 3660lbs!

That's as much weight as my Honda Insight hybrid AND my Honda Civic racecar combined!

Cars over 2000lbs = No buyer interest from me.

liveforphysics said:

That's as much weight as my Honda Insight hybrid AND my Honda Civic racecar combined!

Not to mention it's outright stupidity for an electric car design, killing both range and performance. My belief is that light and nimble cars is what we get to look forward to in the coming age of electrics, and a 3660lb pig certainly isn't going to get us there.

liveforphysics said:

If the US didn't require 1999 lbs of useless safety garbage and emissions equipment that makes cars burn twice as much fuel in order to burn it cleaner, we'd see some neat lightweight cars here! I get so sick of hearing people say that they want a small fuel efficient vehicle but are scared of getting run over by SUV's when you basically have to build an SUV to fit all of the garbage needed to comply be the rules.

I miss the good old days. Our 66 GMC van is completely recyclable because it's made of steel. The guys that built it got paid enough to have a decent house and put their kids through school. It gets 24mpg, which is much better than our stock Toyota 4 cylinder trucks, and burns way cleaner than they do too. I can buy everything I need to rebuild the engine for under $100. The transmission has been in service for 44 years and is still going strong. Also wrecking in it would not be fun. It gives us more reasons to focus on driving. If you give the public a huge, safe, quiet place to sit while driving, systems like cruise control, gps, and automatic transmissions to eliminate driver input whenever possible, then add the horrible reality of forced insurance purchasing, and the perceived safety of an airbag, it all combines to make the drivers feel so safe that they neglect to drive properly. Then, we're stuck in the situation we're in now. People want to spend less on gas, but they still want a giant safe living room on wheels where they can kick back, watch a movie, and be transported to work. We have removed, as much as possible, the personal responsibility involved with driving, just like our social systems have removed the responsibilities of raising our own kids and eating/living right to maintain our health. I wish those folks would just get on a train where they belong, put the kids in the daycare car, suck a McDonalds Big Breakfast through a straw, with their necessary medications ground in, and leave the roads to those that would prefer to drive. The "civilized" world's priorities are all mixed up. Given the current state of general ignorance displayed by the masses, and the companies providing endless, unsustainable products for them to consume, I'm afraid that things will probably get a little uncivilized before anything changes though.

Sorry to rant again. I just envision the world with all of the commuters on buses and trains where they belong, and neat e-bikes for short commutes, Ariel Atom style electric cars for having fun driving, and little hybrid suv/truck transformer things for hauling crap around and getting work done. The car that this thread is about is just another step in the WRONG direction.

mdd0127 said:
If the US didn't require 1999 lbs of useless safety garbage and emissions equipment that makes cars burn twice as much fuel in order to burn it cleaner, we'd see some neat lightweight cars here! I get so sick of hearing people say that they want a small fuel efficient vehicle but are scared of getting run over by SUV's when you basically have to build an SUV to fit all of the garbage needed to comply be the rules.
My 2008 Honda Fit weighs just over 2400 lbs, and meets all safety and emissions standards from that year. I think you'd better stick to warning the pesky kids to get off your lawn.

liveforphysics said:

Same here. Even my 97 Civic coupe feels like a tank at 2700lbs. I'm pretty sure the driver's side door weighs more than my entire electric mtn bike.

Oh yeah, and this Coda will be around $35k after tax rebates. Uh yeah, who's going to buy that? Sounds like a poor marketing strategy to me.

What we need is a basically a Honda CRX stripped of all its ICE parts, and rebuilt with the best electric technology. Then priced at $15k. THAT would sell.

Heck, how about just bringing back the CRX, updating it with modern tech, and it should easily get more mpg than it did 20 years ago.... along the lines of 50-60mpg. Then you could sell it for 10-11k and still make a profit. Those new Yaris and Fit cars..... I have no idea why they can only get 40mpg. What a joke. The CRX got 45-50mpg back in the day.

The CRX got 45-50mpg back in the day

My '88 CRX HF (High Fuel model) got 55 MPG consistently for the whole 150,000 miles I had it. That includes 70 MPH on the freeway. And it didn't ride, drive, or look like an econobox, such as the little 3 cylinder Chevy imports.

I've always been disappointed that cars this good or better disappeared from the market. I currently have one of Honda's best MPG cars from 2002 and it only gets 40 to 45 MPG on the highway.

Have you looked at the crash test results of a CRX? From safercar.gov and fueleconomy.gov:

1991 Civic. In 5-speed/1.5L 4-cyl sedan guise it is rated at 27/32 mpg under the 2008 EPA standards.

qpj98j.png

2010 Prius. 51/48 mpg.

29z8nxl.png

Progress means more weight and cost, but it also can mean more efficiency with demonstrably safer cars. I know my right femur would definitely prefer to be ensconced in the Prius's interior during a crash, not the Civic's. I didn't use the CRX in this example because it wasn't listed for either 1990 or 1991 on safercar.gov.

Back