• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Video Of A Shorting 5s Lipo Battery

100volts+

10 kW
I did a poll to see if ES members wanted to see an old puffed and leaky 3 year old lipo with hundreds of cycles but still at over 15v intentionally shorted. The response was 100% in favor of doing it so here is the vid.

[youtube]ga7gQYcnvD4[/youtube]

Sorry about the lost opportunity but had a long day at work and just wanted to see the fireworks. Got lots of cells for in depth experiments when I retire which won't be that far in the future.

Dear god man.. :shock:

no.1 = OUTSIDE>>>>> THE GARAGE... not in it..

no.2 = don't work over the packs while doing something you hope is explosive.... work with the leads and the pack away from your arms/hands....

no.3 = carpet will not help anything.. other than catch of fire if things go that way...

my friend, this not safe horsing around.

my friend, this not safe horsing around.

yeah well you told me a wooden test stand for my cromotor wasn't good and... oh yeah the wood split because I forgot about the regen and almost smucked up the wiring. Vaporizing metal and venting celsl should be done in a safer manner.

100volts+ said:
Vaporizing metal and venting celsl should be done in a safer manner.

Yes, it should--for future reference you should keep in mind if tht thing vented in your face suddenly, you could get burned (or have your clothes set afire) before you can even react to it.

That's part of why I'd like to do this sort of test inside a vented ammocan as noted in your other thread. Preferably with teh pack and can instrumented up for temperature, pressure, etc.

i shorted a fully charge 21S 44Ah lipo pack to a fully discharged 24S87Ah lifepo4 pack.

they were connected by 10AWG. it took me about 20 seconds to cut the wire but by then the wire had almost turned red hot and the plastic insulation on it melted and was dripping off. it was a little more than this current.

Shorts can get better. Try moving to 100Ah and 84s and giving the cables a little brush together.

20150126_214358.jpg

20150201_132124.jpg

20150201_132206.jpg

20150201_165350.jpg

20150201_233807.jpg

20150201_235836.jpg

Oh my god! Good thing you weren't shorting a 72v block of cells, you'd have melted the plastic gloves all over your hands. If anything did happen, it would have been right in your face. Or your balls. Get some regular leather gloves at least. And then use some longer leads, so you don't squat with the family jewels right over the potential fire.

Amberwolf wants to see a test of my ammo box storage. I keep lipo in ammo boxes, with some vent holes on one side. The idea is hopefully it will direct flames and smoke towards my fireplace, or away from my body if I'm flipping the damn thing out the door with a flat shovel.

The question to be tested is will this work? Will it vent gas, will it vent flames, will it blev? I have the boxes, I have the old batteries.

What I do not have, is anywhere near a safe and legal place to set off the test. We need the Mythbusters, with their access to a nice old quarry, for such a test.

FWIW, I don't dog the covers shut on those boxes when they are in my house. If hot gasses need out that bad, they will come out. Nothing puffed, dinged, or stinking enters my house.

Get some regular leather gloves at least. And then use some longer leads, so you don't squat with the family jewels right over the potential fire.

I have thick leather shop gloves. Just before the video I was looking around for them. Couldn't find them. You know what they say "fun before safety". Maybe it's the other way around.

That thread is becoming more and more interesting guys!! 8) :twisted:

let's short something !!

I admit that Luke is difficult to beat with the multiple parallel Zero packs shorted !! :shock:

I am dreaming about a Leaf or Volt 375V pack being shorted !! t appear to not have been done yet...

Doc

I don't care about trying with many of my pack connected in serie :twisted: but I would just be sure the instant pulse current of thousand amp will not damage the cells.

Maybe adding a shunt in serie to bench the max pulse current.. to give an idea about the kilowatts pulse numbers we get :wink:

Doc

Doctorbass said:
That thread is becoming more and more interesting guys!! 8) :twisted:

let's short something !!

I admit that Luke is difficult to beat with the multiple parallel Zero packs shorted !! :shock:

I am dreaming about a Leaf or Volt 375V pack being shorted !! t appear to not have been done yet...

Doc

The 100Ah 84s arc flash I had was likely a lot more energy than shorting a LEAF pack would be. Though I agree, it would be fun to do that too. :)

I agree with you Luke!.. but please"! Next time.. please make a video of that!!! :)

Doc

liveforphysics said:

Ahhh...the old "lets cut the positive and negative wires at the same time" screw up. I did that once. Burned a hole in the wire cutters as well, but luckily my fingers were saved.

Since then I religiously unhook power and only cut 1 wire at a time...

dogman dan said:
Amberwolf wants to see a test of my ammo box storage. I keep lipo in ammo boxes, with some vent holes on one side.

Actually, I'm wanting to see a test of my on-bike ammocan type of pack (which cna also be used for storage). But it amounts to the same thing. ;)

I've got 14s2P of RC LiPo in a 7.62 can with the lid's edges slightly flared out and a slot cut at the "deepest" part of the flare, for wires to go in and gases to come out, but can't come straight out becuase of the flare. On my bike that'd essentially point gases downward, with the pack mounted under the righthand part of teh seat on the cargo frame.

I've got 14s1P of EIG NMC in a 50cal can, with the case corner nearest the hinge on one end notched for wires and gases, but no flare on it's lid so they'd come straight out. On my bike that's pointed straight forward, pack is essentially under the seat inside the framework.

I've got an EM3EV A123 pack in another 50cal can, modified the same way. When mounted on the bike it goes the same place as the 7.62 can, so it'd vent forward too. (unfortunately that would be into the back of my right leg. It could be mounted in reverse but I'd need to make a longer extension cable to hook it up to the bike's power input.)

What I do not have, is anywhere near a safe and legal place to set off the test. We need the Mythbusters, with their access to a nice old quarry, for such a test.
I *really* don't think it could explode, even with covers dogged down, if there is a vent. But if it did, it could be bad if you were in an area with people and stuff.

If you could dig a pit in the yard, and sandbag around it with the fill coming out of the hole, you could use that for the test.

For myself, I am willing to do the test in the open in my own backyard, with the dogs in the house--if I had enough bad RC LiPo to do it with--basicallly enough to fill the can. I probably will at some point, when the cells in my 7.62 can pack stop being worth using, but they still have mroe than enough capacity to keep going for a while, at least.

The thing I'd like to know is if the pack will actually burn and keep burning in there spewing flame, or if it will be contained in the can and only vent hot gas, with no oxygen input possible except from whatever is already in chemicals inside the pack.

I expect the results would be different with different chemistries, but with RC LiPo being the worst possible one I know of, it'd be the ideal one to test with. :)

I'd also like to instrument it with voltage and current and temperature and pressure sensors, but I think the best I will realistically be able to do is run a balance lead out for some of the cells to the already-problematic MaxPro I have, which will track 5 cells (of the 6 it's made for), and use a wattmeter on the main connection from pack to charger (probably my big Sorenson+serverPSU combo, since that'll do about 67V @ 25-35A, or more A at less V, since I don't have a 3-phase input to use with the Sorenson), plus a BBQ thermometer as close to the center of the pack mass as I can place it.

FWIW, I have the RC LiPo ammocan pack inside another metal box, since I found the packs starting to age and puff. That box is an old aluminum USNavy RF generator test equipment carry box, fairly heavy duty, and is unlikely to let the fire out if something does happen (even if the ammocan somehow pops apart from pressure). It's not fully dogged down either, just enough to ensure any popping that happens inside it isn't going to throw the lid into the air and let bits of flaming whatever fly off and start fires, since ATM I don't have a good place outside to keep usable batteries. (I have an old oven but it's in direct sun in the morning all year round right now, and havent' worked out where I can put it away from the house that's *not* in direct sun for significant time sometime in the day).

Ammo cans are watertight, that's for sure. I don't think they are totally air tight but an ammo can might grenade if a few lipo batteries vented hard in them while sealed.

That's enough Bob! That's enough!

That's nothing. You should have seen her freak out at me going down the freeway at 60+ on my walmart bicycle.

100volts+ said:
Ammo cans are watertight, that's for sure. I don't think they are totally air tight but an ammo can might grenade if a few lipo batteries vented hard in them while sealed.
Which is why the cans used have had vents put in them. ;)

Or at least the vented ammocans both Dogman and I have talked about are vented so they're not sealed anymore.

so if there is a hole in the top you could pour water inside to kill the heat and stop the thermal runaway? or pull the lid back and pour water over the pack to cool it off?

Back