$0.01 shipping from HobbyCity USA! Cheap USA LiPo!

liveforphysics said:
Bro, it's not NiCd, NiMH or something. When you parallel cells with LiCo, they all have exactly the same state of charge.

This is how every LiCo based pack works that runs paralleled cells. It's been proven and proven and proven in everything from laptop battery packs to factory-built LiPo packs that run as many cells in parallel as they need.

Really? so even if you have a weak cell or really strong cell in the bunch, the current draw will suck power from the stronger cells more than the weak cells.. effectively balancing itself out?

Are serial configurations problematic, hence we need BMS for that.. but not for Parallel?

I've heard both good and bad things about cell paralleling on this board. And i haven't assembled my pack just yet and have been mulling over what to do about the BMS issue. So please forgive my newb-itude.

I really wish they sold some of these packs as 1S (1S4-6P) so that they could be properly seriesed. Paralleling packs via the balance leads is a rather lame and sorry way of building a pack.

Balance leads are not meant for handling large currents, plus a cell failure in a paralleled configuration wipes out all the packs in parallel. If you seriesed 1S packs, you can just remove that pack and live with a 3.7V drop until you could replace it.

texaspyro said:
I really wish they sold some of these packs as 1S (1S4-6P) so that they could be properly seriesed. Paralleling packs via the balance leads is a rather lame and sorry way of building a pack.

It's the plug-it-in-and-done way of building a pack, and a method that has been throughly proven in field.

texaspyro said:
Balance leads are not meant for handling large currents,

Balance tap leads would be a terrible thing to try to pull high currents through. It's a good thing they never see more than a handful of mA on a pack with decent cells.

texaspyro said:
plus a cell failure in a paralleled configuration wipes out all the packs in parallel. If you seriesed 1S packs, you can just remove that pack and live with a 3.7V drop until you could replace it.

It's not like it can quickly kill other cells grouped with it in the event you get a failure that causes high self-discharge on a cell, and the beauty of LiPo, is in the event of a short, they harmlessly vaporize the tab off the cell like a little fuse, which doesn't bother the other cells in parallel.
Either failure mode, if you're using any sort of cell-level monitoring, you get alerted (like the chargery HVC/LVC beeping alarms the size of your pinky that folks just leave plugged-in to each combined balance tap set) to a problem that is going to take many hours at worst before it can impact the other cells.

And then in the event of a single cell failing, it would be a hell of a lot harder to find which one out of the group of hard soldered 4-6p cells is responsible for bringing the group down, when series arranged groups makes it as simple as disconnecting the balance taps and checking which cell falls. (on it's own, or under load etc)

No battery tech, layout, design is perfect. In practice though, having them in series groups at a semi-useful voltage sure makes it a lot easier for average-Joe's to put packs together than needing to assemble 24 separate series connections, and then wire balance taps. The way they are, it's pretty much plug-n-play.

Fortunately, it doesn't seem like we need to worry about building batteries to last more than a few years anyways. The rate the technology is improving, it feels almost like worrying if your computer is going to last for 5 years or something. It's a situation where it doesn't really matter, because in a few years, the price will be cut in half again, and they will keep getting smaller, lighter, and with higher C-rates and more cycles. :)

For folks looking to do a bare-bones LiPo pack build, these little guys from chargery (the guy that makes the wicked icharger line) give you an HVC and LVC output alarm signal that you can use to do whatever you like with. Shut-off a charger? Shut off a controller? Beep annoyingly to let you know some cell group somewhere is out of the boundary voltage you set. For the $9 each (or whatever they cost), it's very cheap pack insurance.

http://www.chargery.com/doc/Chargery%20BS6%20specification.pdf

The nasty failure mode that I have seen much more than I would like is a cell going sort of low impedance and draining its paralleled cousins over a weekend or some other extended period of inactivity. In a pack where you have paralleled 4S-6S bricks, that failure mode kills all the bricks paralleled with it. Most LVC's, etc are impotent to protect against it. The only cure is brick surgery to remove the affected cells. Then you have unmatched bricks in your series string. If you had 1S packs in your string, you just unplug the affected pack and you are back on your way until HK can ship you a new one.

texaspyro said:
The nasty failure mode that I have seen much more than I would like is a cell going sort of low impedance and draining its paralleled cousins over a weekend or some other extended period of inactivity.

That happened to me only once, and even then you get forewarned because your Cycle Annalyst is showing about 3-4 volts lower than usual.

It's easy preventative maintenance to just flick your controler on and check the reading on your C.A. periodicaly. We all get to know our battery packs personality so-to-speak, after only a week of riding.

Quick check.

6x http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15007 @ $210 for 8s 15ah. @ 20c 300a potential

vs.

2x http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14996 @ $222 for 8s 11.6ah @ 25c 290a potential

Looks like I probably just answered my question, are there 8s balance plugs available to swap? or just grab a charger that can do 6 packs at a time?

Figures, my lipo order from HK came in last week.

I ended up paying $0.53 /wh SHIPPED. So I guess I didn't do too bad. Zippy 25c 6s 5ah.

Damn you LFP. I was planning on waiting to the spring to put in new batts on the Suzuki. I am staying relatively low power with 20 of the 5S 5000's coming. Will end up 20S5P for 84 volts and 25AH. More than enough to make the 8.5 mile trek to work.

Anyone's order show as shipping yet? Mine has been processing since Saturday. I bet they got way more orders than they were expecting.

Back