0 - 60 in under 2 seconds

Hillhater said:
Possibly, but remember..
Their vehicle only weighed 168 kg......what do you expect yours to weigh ?

My e-trike is going to be under 100 lbs(45 kg) to meet the legal definition of "electric bicycle" in the state of Texas. I'm looking for a top speed of 50 mph. In a velomobile with a drag area of 0.15 m^2 or less, 1 kW plus some pedal power could maintain it. Anything more than 1 kW of peak power would really just be used for acceleration, unless I could safely make the vehicle go faster without adding too much more weight.

The motors were geared/set up to max out at 100 kph , if you change the gearing or wheel diameter for a higher max speed, you reduce the torque proportionally.

Yes, but I won't even need all of its possible power for the e-trike. Using only 10 hp out of the 50 would be more than enough, and given that the motor would be called upon to have only a fraction of the power applied than it was built to take, allowing very long life.

Also, their performance runs were very short duration. Continuous or extended use would undoubtedly require a reduced output power to avoid overheating.

Yup. My 102 lb Prestolite in my GT6 is only rated at like 20 hp at 96V continuous, even though with the same voltage, if tested at 1000A, could probably do like 70 hp peak. 1,000A for 20 seconds would melt it. 210A for an hour can be tolerated.

I wouldn't need all 50 hp from this tiny motor; it would provide a very light weight solution though, especially for my rear wheel, that gave me as much power as I needed, with an integrated brake disc to boot. The perfect in-wheel hub solution for my trike. I'd only need 1-2 horsepower to do what I needed, and 10 hp to have ridiculous acceleration for such a silly vehicle. 50 hp would be absolute overkill. But the system's weight and the fact that it gives me more than enough power for any application of HPV/electric hybrid I will make is what makes it so perfect.

That being said, I would have to know its efficiency chart, too, as efficiency in the very low end of the power demand range is much more important than efficiency when full performance is being demanded.

..but yes, they do not appear to be available anyway ! :?

It's a cryin' shame.

OK, I thought you may have been thinking of your GT6 ! :mrgreen:
It's not really a hub motor though, more a "direct coupled". Motor and gearbox, and it's not clear if the 3.4kg includes the gearbox and hub assy, so you may still have to add the weight of any necessary wheel bearing/hub/ upright support system, which would all add to the weight compared to other " in wheel hub" motors.
There seems to be many 3- 10 kW hub motors available. IE johnCR's. Hub monster ?

Hillhater said:
It's not really a hub motor though, more a "direct coupled". Motor and gearbox, and it's not clear if the 3.4kg includes the gearbox and hub assy, so you may still have to add the weight of any necessary wheel bearing/hub/ upright support system, which would all add to the weight compared to other " in wheel hub" motors.

True, but the intent is to use it like a hub motor. Direct drive.

There seems to be many 3- 10 kW hub motors available. IE johnCR's. Hub monster ?

The Cromotors, Mid Monster, Hubmonster, Hubzilla, and the like, are all too heavy. I had initially considered them, but I really need to budget my vehicle weight more appropriately. A 5 lb motor would really be plenty... if I choose the rest of my parts and the motor wisely.

Anyhow, this race car must be a blast to drive. Carbon fibre monocoques are scarily strong for their weight, and if I had the equipment and know-how, a carbon fibre trike could weigh very little and need no real frame. It's way too much work and expense though... I don't have the university-size budget with which to build a record setting race car, to instead use on my projects.

I really hope this technology gets licensed at some point. A 7 lb, 50 hp motor opens up a lot of possibilities that wouldn't otherwise exist.

Back