12s lipo noob shopping list. 44v lipo battery.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/%5F%5F9739%5F%5FJST%5FXH%5FWire%5FExtension%5F6S%5F20cm%5F10pcs%5Fbag%5F.html

Nvm, could use that to parallel 2 s packs? Then how would balance charge

Join the two balance leads together with one of these

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_14&products_id=205

Then parallel connect the main thick red and black current wires..Black On Black and Red on Red, then the two red leads that are joined go to the red of the charge and the two black leads that are joined also go to the charger
But I am worried that if yo do not understand the basic concepts of parallel and series wiring in general, and you are having to ask such questions..then you are taking a bit of a risk doing it without someone actually there along side you to watch over as you wire it all up for the first time

it is not that the concept is even slightly difficult or taxing...but even the best here on the forum have accidentally flash fried a finger or two, not to mention zapped a few connectors by accidentally connecting the wrong wires together

Do a few google searches on parallel/series wiring ...etc and read a bit before you starting hooking things up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_and_parallel_circuits

Go over to You tube and the Endless Sphere Facebook page and look up Christofer Parham and some of his videos on wiring

He can also make you up the wiring you need.

I know a lot of it can be bought off the shelf from places like EP Buddy and progressive RC..but in order to order what you need...you have to first understand the basic concepts...which I feel you do not
Chris may have prices that are more than on the named websites above, but I know from experience of building my own wiring and the time it takes, that he is not out to rip people off.
pay a bit more...get the wiring you need from someone that understands , and not what you think you need...and don't risk frying your fingers or battery packs

You can explain to him your setup and get a set of wires ready made up...He is building for e-bikes...not Remote control models...so his wires are done to suit our needs not the needs of a RC modeller

So far my shopping lists is composed of:

iCharger 208B battery charger
Main Features: 350W powerful battery charger. 20A
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_1&products_id=3

Modified Mean Well 350W 15V 23A Power Supply
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=166

4 x 5A 6s Lipo

Few plugs ect. Just need to make a 4mm bullet to anderson connector to plug my charged batterys into controller?

Also is there a reason I cannot charge like this everytime? Be easy plugging in 2 10ah packs. Or would I have to break up into 4 packs for paraboard?
https://epbuddy.com/images/ParaBoard_demo_620px.jpg

Also neil, with that parallel charging cable, could I just always leave it connected to a 2p pack? Since it paralleled them and has the combined male end for charging?

IF...and big IF ...I understand your question correctly...then the answer is YES

you can leave the pack as a 2 p pac for charging and use on the bike

I have a 20 series 4 p pack and I use it like that on the bike and charge it exactly the same

You can permanently paralell your packs in pairs at both the balance wires and the big wires. Then you have a 6s 10 ah pack.

Then to charge, you can temporarily paralell the two 10 ah packs into one big 20 ah pack using a balance board, and charge.

I do a slightly different varaition. I charge both packs at once, using two 150 watt chargers. Still pulling 300 watts from my meanwell, but I don't have to paralell stuff to charge. Just plug each half of my pack into it's own chargers.

The one thing you cannot do, is leave the packs connected in series at the main wires as a 12s pack, then plug in two balance plugs paralell. Do that and you get kff and fry the paraboard. So just make sure you get reallllllly in the habit of always disonnecting series connections before you even look at the paraboard. The easy way to not make this mistake is to never plug in the balance wires till you have plugged in the big wires first.

One more thing to add to your list. A low voltage warning device. At the very least a pair of 6s lv beepers. A cellog is a wonderful tool too.

jmygann said:
AussieJester said:
.. Make a parallel harness like this for your main discharge wires from the packs i.e parallel them all and plug them into a high output rc charger or psu like a meanwel (set to the pack voltage your charging) . It's to simple i can't understand why people are getting confused and over this stuff. im an electrical retard if i can sort this out anyone can.

KiM

"like this " ????

Double post

jmygann said:
AussieJester said:
.. Make a parallel harness like this for your main discharge wires from the packs i.e parallel them all and plug them into a high output rc charger or psu like a meanwel (set to the pack voltage your charging) . It's to simple i can't understand why people are getting confused and over this stuff. im an electrical retard if i can sort this out anyone can.

KiM

"like this " ????

???

With the charger and paraboard, could I plug both 6s10ah packs into it? Or do I need 2

you would need three of these
2x6sXHparallelcable.jpg

One to make each 6s 10ah pack, then another to join the two packs together to make the 20ah pack for charging

Or just two of those leads and one para board for charging

This product could work as an alternative to an lvc
http://www.hobby-wing.com/lipo-battery-alarm.html

I would recomend the paraboard for just charging. So only one will be needed. Lots of ways to join two packs paralell for the discharging. Some make a harness with wire and more bullet connectors from HK. That's a y connecter wire, with one connector on one end, going to two wires and connectors on the other end. You can make similar y connectors for the balance wires out of jst extentions. Take two and splice two females on to one end.

Others just cut the plugs off two batteries and start splicing, often by soldering. Some make buss bars to do the splice. Million ways to do it.

You can buy custom made Y harnesses in the for sale section from Icecube.

dogman said:
I would recomend the paraboard for just charging. So only one will be needed. Lots of ways to join two packs paralell for the discharging. Some make a harness with wire and more bullet connectors from HK. That's a y connecter wire, with one connector on one end, going to two wires and connectors on the other end. You can make similar y connectors for the balance wires out of jst extentions. Take two and splice two females on to one end.

Others just cut the plugs off two batteries and start splicing, often by soldering. Some make buss bars to do the splice. Million ways to do it.

You can buy custom made Y harnesses in the for sale section from Icecube.

Attachments

• 305311_10150289617651073_715006072_8050733_650166537_n (Custom).jpg
    305311_10150289617651073_715006072_8050733_650166537_n (Custom).jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,513
  • 315567_10150289617206073_715006072_8050723_1871738872_n (Custom).jpg
    315567_10150289617206073_715006072_8050723_1871738872_n (Custom).jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,513
With the pic missing when I viewed it, I minsunderstood what Niel was saying you needed three of. I thought he meant three paraboards.

Ep buddy has some nice connectors too. Pretty easy to make em yourself if you have the Jst extensions. You just cut and splice, so no need to assemble those pesky jst's.

Back