19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

Rix said:
SKN John, I didn't think you were contradicting, when I read your measurments, I realized I forgot to mention the size of the tires I was referring too. I know one guy had a 2.0 x 19, that thing is small, by MTB and MC standards. On the contrary, my 2.75x18 SR241 on an 18x1.4 rim is bigger than your tire, by 1/4th of an inch. Your 2.25 on a 19x1.4 rim would be much better than on a 1.85 wide one. The 1.85 will spread your tire out and make it wider and slight more flat on the top tread, as the 1.4 it will be more rounded. You would need to see them at the same time to see the difference though. Probably the biggest advantage of running 1.4 wide rim over a 1.85 is the 1.4 is over 1 pound lighter, thats what I noticed between my 18x1.85 and 18x1.4 rims. Either way you go, you will like it better than a bicycle tire.

Rick

Rick - what's the weight you make for the 19x1.85 rim compared to the 19x1.4? I understand c.1lb different...but what are the actual weights of each? Presumably both are Pro Wheel? Apologies if this is already answered - reread a few pages of the thread but couldn't see it anywhere... Just wanted to compare them to the 'cheapie' 19x1.85 oz rims that I goit - and these weigh in at about 6.2-6.4lbs a piece... Gonna try and get my A into G and take some pics to post of them including spoke holes etc. as interested to see how they compare to the almost ubiquitous prowheel rim.
DK

Edit:
Damn - just notice you've got 18inch rims so won't be an apples to apples comparison.
Anyone else got a bare 19x1.85 prowheel they can throw on the scales and let me know the weight?

Dark Knight said:
Rix said:
SKN John, I didn't think you were contradicting, when I read your measurments, I realized I forgot to mention the size of the tires I was referring too. I know one guy had a 2.0 x 19, that thing is small, by MTB and MC standards. On the contrary, my 2.75x18 SR241 on an 18x1.4 rim is bigger than your tire, by 1/4th of an inch. Your 2.25 on a 19x1.4 rim would be much better than on a 1.85 wide one. The 1.85 will spread your tire out and make it wider and slight more flat on the top tread, as the 1.4 it will be more rounded. You would need to see them at the same time to see the difference though. Probably the biggest advantage of running 1.4 wide rim over a 1.85 is the 1.4 is over 1 pound lighter, thats what I noticed between my 18x1.85 and 18x1.4 rims. Either way you go, you will like it better than a bicycle tire.

Rick

Rick - what's the weight you make for the 19x1.85 rim compared to the 19x1.4? I understand c.1lb different...but what are the actual weights of each? Presumably both are Pro Wheel? Apologies if this is already answered - reread a few pages of the thread but couldn't see it anywhere... Just wanted to compare them to the 'cheapie' 19x1.85 oz rims that I goit - and these weigh in at about 6.2-6.4lbs a piece... Gonna try and get my A into G and take some pics to post of them including spoke holes etc. as interested to see how they compare to the almost ubiquitous prowheel rim.
DK

Edit:
Damn - just notice you've got 18inch rims so won't be an apples to apples comparison.
Anyone else got a bare 19x1.85 prowheel they can throw on the scales and let me know the weight?

My 18x1.4 rim was just under two pounds, literally 1.9 pounds on the scale, my 18x1.85 is 3 pounds exactly on the scale. I can't imagine your rims being double the weight of mine just because they are 1" bigger. If your 19x1.85 is over 6 pounds, go with 19x1.4 Prowheel racing rim, I know that its not any heavier feeling in hand than my 18x1.4, you want me to weigh the 19x1.4 rim tonight so you can have an exact number?

Rick

Rix said:
My 18x1.4 rim was just under two pounds, literally 1.9 pounds on the scale, my 18x1.85 is 3 pounds exactly on the scale. I can't imagine your rims being double the weight of mine just because they are 1" bigger. If your 19x1.85 is over 6 pounds, go with 19x1.4 Prowheel racing rim, I know that its not any heavier feeling in hand than my 18x1.4, you want me to weigh the 19x1.4 rim tonight so you can have an exact number?

Rick

Yeah...chuck it on the scales if you don't mind. I'll actually weigh mine properly as well - was just quoting 'advertised' weight. They do feel pretty darn heavy though...guess they could become the street rims if they're too heavy...they were an impulse buy and are definitely 'no name' brand.
Was originally going to go with prowheels rims...and if there is a significant weight difference, probably still will. No problems with the 2.75 tyres in the 1.4 rim? Shinko advise 1.85 size for 2.75x19...

Edit - just looked at the advertised weight and indicates 2kg (4.4lbs) for 19x2.15 and 2.9kg (6.4lbs) for 19x1.85...which really doesn't make sense...damn internet shops eh. I'll definitely give em a weight up tomorrow and confirm.

Definately no probs with a 2.75 on a 1.4 wide rim. In my Avatar pic, I am running a 3.00x17 SR241 on a 17x1.4 Prowheel racing rim. It worked and worked great. Here is a decent photo of my front wheel which is the 2.75x19 on a 1.4 x 19 prowheel racing rim. Then the next pic is of the 2.75x18 SR241 on a 1.85 x 18 tegasko rim. As you can see, this tire works well on either width rim, but I think it acually works better on the narrower rim because its more rounded and better for utilizing the side tractions knobs on the tire.

Rick

Attachments

• 2.75x19.jpg
    2.75x19.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 3,872
  • 2.75x19 rear.jpg
    2.75x19 rear.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 3,872
Awesome pics as always - thanks Rick.
Just weighed my rims this morning - 1.8kg so near enough 4 pounds. Not a precise weight as it was on the old scales with the pickup and put down rim method and simply calculating the difference...also only to 1 decimal place. Think I need to invest in a decent set of scales for the ole workshop.
I suspect a purchase of some 19x1.4 and 18x1.4 prowheel rims will still be in my future...but happy enough with 4 pounds from 19x1.85s for now.
Now for the motor and front hub to arrive so I can try my luck at wheel building... :oops:

Dark Knight said:
Awesome pics as always - thanks Rick.
Just weighed my rims this morning - 1.8kg so near enough 4 pounds. Not a precise weight as it was on the old scales with the pickup and put down rim method and simply calculating the difference...also only to 1 decimal place. Think I need to invest in a decent set of scales for the ole workshop.
I suspect a purchase of some 19x1.4 and 18x1.4 prowheel rims will still be in my future...but happy enough with 4 pounds from 19x1.85s for now.
Now for the motor and front hub to arrive so I can try my luck at wheel building... :oops:

Sweet, post the pics, I got some decen quality better than cell phone cameras of my Fighter with the 18x1.4 rim and tire on it. I will post a pic of that tomorrow so you can see how a 18MC rear matches up with a 24MTB front.

Skynight John and Dark Knight, the 19x1.4 prowheel is just a tiny bit over 2 pounds. Like 2 pounds and 1 ounce. My scales are bathrooom scales, but have proven to be fairly accurate, but not exact.

Damn...that's half the weight...<taps chin>...I think I'll pay the weight penalty for now, but suspect that a couple of 19x1.4 prowheel will be purchased in the not too distant future - and probably at least one 18x1.4...
The 'no name' rims will then be used for street tires (weight less of a problem in my view) and the prowheels for the offroad option. Planned on lacing up 2 Cros eventually anyway - one stock standard and the other with a whole load of lightening (i.e. less weight not the natural electrical phenomenon :D ) mods - again, street and dirt use respectively. It's also why I bought 2 front hubs...

Thanks as always for the data Rick!

Pro-Wheel 19-TTRBKR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231173330507. Also available on amazon for 2 bucks less: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050J4VHE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's what i'm getting for my conversion.

And the manufacturers link: http://www.prowheelracing.com/yamaha-play-bike-front-rim-1-40-x-19-black/

Ch00paKabrA said:
Where are you getting the 19 X 1.4 rims? I can only find the "big wheel" 85 versions that only have 32 holes which would be fine up front but I can't find one with 36 holes.

Besides Prowheel, you can look for a 2009 or older Yamaha TT125L front rim, those are 19x1.4 with 36 hole drill. Crezzy got the web site link posted.

Rick

We will have 19x 1.6" rims in a thin profile soon as well. It is lighter than other rims currently available, with spoke holes specifically for front MTB hubs and large hubmotors like the HS series and Cromotors.

johnrobholmes said:
We will have 19x 1.6" rims in a thin profile soon as well. It is lighter than other rims currently available, with spoke holes specifically for front MTB hubs and large hubmotors like the HS series and Cromotors.

That sounds like the way to go. I like the 19x1.4s but the spoke angles are off. The 18x1.4 I got from you are perfect for the H40xx series. Let us know when you got them.

Rick

Here is a pic of my Fighter running the SR241 2.75x18 and a 24MTB on the front. Diameter difference between front and rear is 1.25 inches. The rear rim is the 18x1.4 I got from JRH. had to drill out the spoke holes to accommodate the 8g spokes and the 6.4mm x18mm long nipples. Spoke mic out at 3.6mm diameter. The spoke angles are perfect, this is one very strong rear wheel.

Rick

Attachments

• Fighter 24-18.jpg
    Fighter 24-18.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 3,839
  • Fighter.jpg
    Fighter.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 3,839
I'm really thinking for my bike 19" will be the way to go probably the SR241 in 19x2.75". But what width rim?
I've found a set of 19x1.90" steel rims for $19+free shipping each, or I've got the aluminum 19x1.85" for $35+shipping each.
Both are not in a color I like so I'm going have to powder coat either of them.

But what are the pros and cons?
I know the the Steel will weight more but the Aluminum cost about $30 more each after shipping.
Any other hidden pros/cons for steel vs aluminum?

DeathBlade said:
I'm really thinking for my bike 19" will be the way to go probably the SR241 in 19x2.75". But what width rim?
I've found a set of 19x1.90" steel rims for $19+free shipping each, or I've got the aluminum 19x1.85" for $35+shipping each.
Both are not in a color I like so I'm going have to powder coat either of them.

But what are the pros and cons?
I know the the Steel will weight more but the Aluminum cost about $30 more each after shipping.
Any other hidden pros/cons for steel vs aluminum?

Deathblade, if you go the MC rim route, stick with a 19x1.4 wide rim and definitely stick with aluminum. A steel 19x1.90 rim would weigh 7 pounds by itself, if not more. I have tried both 1.40 and 1.85 wide rims. The SR241 on the 1.40 wide rim is slightly more rounded than the when its on a 1.85" wide rim. But if you are going after the fat tire look, the 1.85 or even 2.15 aluminum rim will get you there with the 2.75x19SR241. As far as steel vs aluminum, the weakest aluminum mc rim is more than strong enough for any Ebike that can also be pedaled. I will say it again, a 1.90x19 steel rim will be very very heavy.

Pro wheel racing 19x1.4" rim laced up to Rix's old 5405, using Holmes Custom Moped Spokes 11/12 gauge (3 -2.7mm) 16mm nipple 123mm long.
Spokes ended up about 5 mm shy of the head of the Nipple.

20140531_083720.jpg

I didn't make any mods to the rim..What do you think about the angle of the Nipples? Should I mod the holes to improve the angle of the nipples?

Just in time my old bomber rim has seen it's day

20140523_181653.jpg

Went with aluminum, just grabbed a set of the pro-wheel 19x1.85" rims off of ebay.
Their yellow but they were $35 each and I do have powdercoating oven at TechShop, and a pound of wet black powder, so that can be easily fixed.
Now its just to find spokes, what size/length do you guys with cromotors and the 19" rims usually run?

Mr Lowbank said:
Pro wheel racing 19x1.4" rim laced up to Rix's old 5405, using Holmes Custom Moped Spokes 11/12 gauge (3 -2.7mm) 16mm nipple 123mm long.
Fee CV
20140531_083720.jpg

I didn't make any mods to the rim..What do you think about the angle of the Nipples? Should I mod the holes to improve the angle of the nipples?

20140523_181653.jpg

Did you use washers with the nipples? This is the exact same setup I'm going for although I'm using xlyte 3540. Maybe cromotor next year :mrgreen:

Mr Lowbank said:

20140531_083720.jpg

20140523_181653.jpg

The angles aren't nearly as extreme as the 17x1.4 I have laced to my 5403 and it did fine when I ran it. Your wheel build came out great. Spokes bend like that during truing which is a great indicator of excellent and consistent spoke tension managment. Thats a great wheel build and will serve you well. Just check the tension periodically during the first 5-6 rides as the spokes will stretch a little before taking set.

Rick

johnrobholmes said:
I would highly recommend against washers, and offer the nipples we pair with my moped spokes. I keep 12, 13, and 14g nipples with 6mm barrel in stock. Send an email through the site about them and my worker will get you set up, since we don't have them for sale by themselves at this time.

http://holmeshobbies.com/Holmes-Custom-Moped-Spokes.html

As Johnrobholmes said, no washers required

I have a question. what tyre levers do people carry in the camel back with the MC Setup. Or is the theory you won't need any.

Mr Lowbank said:
I have a question. what tyre levers do people carry in the camel back with the MC Setup. Or is the theory you won't need any.

Thats the best part, you don't need to carry in any tire levers as long as your rear PSI is above 20. I haven't pinch flatted an MC rear yet and I put my machines into fairly isolated rocky locations and time and time again, been fine. You will see. :mrgreen:

Rick

Rix said:
Mr Lowbank said:

Thats the best part, you don't need to carry in any tire levers as long as your rear PSI is above 20. I haven't pinch flatted an MC rear yet and I put my machines into fairly isolated rocky locations and time and time again, been fine. You will see. :mrgreen:

Rick

It's been a decade since I've done it but I used to be able to do doubles at the MX track. If the rim/tire/tube combo can withstand that (and triples that others could do) There is no way you are going to get a pinch flat. I also used to ride out in the desert and dry lake beds when I lived in California and never had a flat either.

Back