20% Hill Climb at speed using a Hub motor

deecanio said:
Bad news is the guy at the bike shop told me that he thought although it could be done, really the marzocchi's need a 26" wheel (maybe 24") as if you run 20"s once under load it would be very hard work for the frame headset post not to snap once the fork travel kicked in :( D

I don't think so Deecanio. He may be right if you actually go true 'Downhilling' which you won't on your ebike because the batteries will fall off long before your headset breaks. The ladder-like geometry of your forks remains unchanged no matter what wheel size you use.
My forks are called Stratos MX6's. Made in the US of A, and quality indeed. I like that I can drop the fork brace down to the correct level for any size wheel; you may find the Marzocci's have a fixed brace so you end up with a big gap above the wheel. Altering the brace does, in fact, mess with the stresses on the fork, but well within how I'm using them.

I didn't take note of my Steerer tube size. I just gave the frame and forks to the local bike shop and got them to sort it out as they have all sorts of bearings, spacers, shims etc that bike shops do and I don't.

that sounds about right to me steve, i came clean with it being electric when he mentioned the stress break possiblity and said it's not like i'm pulling seat grabs here but,and i quote, "they may break just dropping down a curb" lol.
i didn't really buy it but i had to heed warning in an area i dont know well enough yet even if he was talking arse.
good job i know these guys that help me keep the project straight
:D
thats good to know,means i can put them on after all, they're totally overkill forks really but i figure i want dual crowns and the better the fork the better my controller will be protected flying over roots on trails,they also look cool ;)
back to the net to buy some more parts then, anyone else see it differently before i buy a new front end?

cheers
D

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Brand/Kawasaki/klr%20650%20fork%20brace.htm

Would something like this be of any use with your forks? I'm not proposing this exact item, but something along this line from a MC, assuming it isn't possible to get one for a bicycle fork.

Greg

Would something like this be of any use with your forks?

$130 for this! Yikes! Surely something just as good could be rigged-up for $5.
Fork%20Brace%20Rear%20Left%20Sm.jpg

hi,

the forks dont need any strengthening at all - there downhill forks so they will be mighty tough - the guy said the headtube on my frame may break because im only putting 20" wheels in it, but we find his theory rather questionable :D

cheers

D

Seems to me there would be less potential for bending loads on the steerer tube with smaller diameter tires. Perhaps if you put on a tiny roller blade wheel and it got stuck in a rut... :lol:

Back