• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

2010 Zero-S with bad battery. Value?

recumpence

1 GW
On Earth right now. That can change at any time, t
Hey Guys,

I have the opportunity to pick up a 2010 Zero-S in beautiful visual condition with a bad pack (he assumes it has a bad pack) for $1,200.

Does this sound like a decent price? I have no problem building my own pack if need be. That would be less costly than an OEM pack anyway.

Matt

That's a good price. Go for it!

Zeros are relatively easy to to a battery-swap with - just keep the BMS smarts happy and it should be fine.

So, the bms needs to be active for the electronics to function? I have lipo packs with no bms that I was hoping to use at least temporarily until I setup a permanent solution.

jansevr said:
My friend still has 2 2010 zero s that he is selling. Dead batteries on both everything else works fine.

I think he would be willing to sell for around $1200. I'm located in Milwaukee if anyone wants to come pick it up. Let me know if you want more pictures or information
Send me a private message with your phone number. I am in Northern Illinois and I may be interested in one of his. The one that I'm looking at purchasing is a further drive away from me.

jansevr said:
You can definitely bypass the bms and hardwire the Lipo battery directly to the controller. I did this about a year ago with a 2010 s. Fun project. Cut the weight down by more than 50lbs and still had decent range for around town with a 3kWh lipo
Does the rest of the bike work correctly with the BMS bypassed?

recumpence said:
jansevr said:
You can definitely bypass the bms and hardwire the Lipo battery directly to the controller. I did this about a year ago with a 2010 s. Fun project. Cut the weight down by more than 50lbs and still had decent range for around town with a 3kWh lipo
Does the rest of the bike work correctly with the BMS bypassed?

The MBB (Main bike board) a kind of ECU like on ICE car, communicate with the BMS and also act as a overide for the throttle.
Throttle is conneted to the MBB and BMS is connected to the MBB The throttle signal that goes to the Alltrax controller is coming from the MBB.

The MBB have the final word on what is ent to the controller. If one of more of the 14 cell bank is over or undervoltage, the BMS detect it and ask the MBB to cut the throttle signal that goes to the contoller. If the motor temp sensor detect over temp, the MBB will also cut or reduce the throttle signal

The MBB is the brain and you can also communicate with it with a USB to RS232 adaptor as well as for the BMS.

As some already said, you can hardwire everything but you will loose the BMS, speedo display and flashers etc.. or you can keep it and just replace cells by your lipo. Many allready have done that since i exposed the idea of using leaf battery to replace these few years ago on the electricmotorcycleforum and i think there is a YouTube video that one of the guy posted after i suggested that mod on the forum.

Doc

Sure I can help if you can't figure it out but it should be fairly straight forward. It seems that you have quite a bit more experience in ebikes than myself and that is all the knowledge I had before working on the zero ;) I'll take a look at the bike in the next few days to see exactly what I did...

I know I wired the throttle directly to the controller instead of through the battery box/mbb. And for the battery I used the same fuse and wiried it directly to the controller instead of through the bms/mbb. And as stated above for the 12v system I used a seperate battery - this was the easiest for me but I'm sure you could use a dc dc converter from your main pack

I just picked up a 2010 Zero S with a bad pack as well. I'll be taking the old battery pack out next week. Where are you guys getting your LiPo batteries from? I had read about the leaf batteries on the electric motorcycle forum. But if I can find batteries somewhere else for less. I'd prefer to go that route.

I also have a phoenixII 2000watt ebike kit I use for commuting. Along with a 180watt iZip folder for when I take the train.

I really want to get the zero up and running for higher speed fun.

Thanks

Let me know if anyone still has one of these with a bad battery. I would love one to work on for a fun project! I am in TN, but will travel...

That's too far for me. And I'm not shipping a frame/motor and controller...That's pretty much all that's left with no battery

[strike]Ok, so as luck would have it...

I am going tonight to look at a 2010 Zero S which the owner claims has a good battery, but something isn't allowing/causing the motor to spin upon application of throttle.

The price is so cheap, I've decided to buy it so that's not the question...

But, where would someone begin to start the investigation???

My credentials: I've been an ICE wrench and customizer for years, owned my first car at age 12 and have rewired industrial machines with some PLC programming... But, this will be my first EV.

If I should start my own thread, let me know. Thanks in advance! --Stuart[/strike]

Started my own thread for this.

Back