Linkage linkage linkage. Trial, error, trial, error, trial, error, get thicker metal, rest brain, trial, error, trial, error, trial, error, trial, error, trial, error, trial, error. Linkage done!

Um D-man
Which end of the bike is that? :shock:
otherDoc

These look great, but how does one know that they actually got the right shape?

I've seen many fairings, but the only numbers I've ever seen were for full streamliners.

The only real discussion I've seen regarding results were from people working on front + tailbox.

I mean, does any old smooth bubble-ish shape work? I really don't know, I'm asking here.

Katou

docnjoj said:
Um D-man
Which end of the bike is that? :shock:
otherDoc

Front. :)

katou said:
These look great, but how does one know that they actually got the right shape? I've seen many fairings, but the only numbers I've ever seen were for full streamliners.
Katou

It's a windshield, the jury is out on whether it will be an (effective) aerodynamic aid... that said, it'll likely give you a bigger speed advantage in a time trial than shaving your legs :wink:

D-Man said:
Right now this thing isn't even road worthy. The fairing is jiggling all over. Damn. I guess it needs more hardware. More reinforcing. Mmmm. I used 5/16 steel rod. The top is jiggling pretty bad. Really annoying. Its only 21 inches tall. Maybe these things need a full frame around the perimeter. Maybe I'll just recycle it with my plastic bottles. :|

All else aside, it looks very cool - don't recycle it just yet, I want to see the thing in action

Might I suggest a couple of vertical pieces of 1 inch aluminium angle (red), attached to the windshield (black) at the top and bottom (I'm thinking just leave a 'tab' at the top and bottom ends which is bent to match the contour, with a small bolt through the plastic), and mount the thing directly to the ends of the handles of the 'aero' bar (you may need to do something fancy at the ends of the aero bar to still get your hands onto it, of course...), with a triangular brace (blue), also 1 inch aluminium angle from the headstem to the bottom ends of the vertical parts. This should give you all the rigidity you can eat :D

windshield.png

Actually, looking at your pics again, the aero-bar ends might be a bit narrow... this scheme should work fine with the existing mounts, too, if the new vertical pieces attached to the ends of the existing steel rods, held against the flat bits with the nuts you already have on there. The trick with this is to hold it rigidly at four points so it can't 'warp' (without this, it will twist in much the same way as a picture frame).

D-Man said:
Thanks for the sketch. The fairing seems to have good left to right support right now, but its just the forward and backward springy tilting motion. I mounted a clamp on the neck of the stem. I could hook the lower part up of the fairing to that. (blue lines) Maybe that would be enough. Or maybe I only need one L bracket going from the bottom of the fairing to the neck clamp to stabilize it? I really don't want this to look like a contruction site. :lol:

Maybe just a couple of light-weight rods from the headstem to the lower corners would do the trick? I'd probably use carbon arrow shafts, but only 'cos I have a few damaged ones laying around :D

Just bodge something on to see if it kills the wobble, then re-implement it tidy-like if it works, I reckon...

That's some nice work D man.

Decent fairings seem to be far and few between when it comes to bicycles and e bikes and the few that I've seen and liked are either unavailable or, very expensive.

BTW, the "jiggling" you mention has always been a big problem on road racing motorcycles (especially with the 125cc and under classes). You may want to consider adding a "bit" of weight to certain areas of the fairing so as to help eliminate the "shaking" or resonance (as the case may be). Motorcycle designers have been using this method for years with handle bars and rear view mirrors with varying degrees of success.

D-Man said:
Thanks. :arrow: I took it off. :arrow: It looks stupid on the bike. :arrow: it weighs 2lbs with hardware. :arrow: How much more metal do I have to add to stabilize it. :arrow: Like stupid.

Ah well, the end of an experiment :(

Never mind, more time to try tail cones, right? :D

Oh yeah. I might pull the fairing back out some day. I'll try your sketch next time. My design idea didn't work. Figures. I'll use this fairing to drill lots of holes in. If I get it right, I'll blow a new one. I still have some unblown plastic left.

madact said:
D-Man said:
Thanks. :arrow: I took it off. :arrow: It looks stupid on the bike. :arrow: it weighs 2lbs with hardware. :arrow: How much more metal do I have to add to stabilize it. :arrow: Like stupid.

Ah well, the end of an experiment :(

Never mind, more time to try tail cones, right? :D

the tail cone would be challenge aesthetic-wise.. :|
Fairing.jpg

i need to find a pic of my fiberglass one,
it was pretty sexy looking.. :wink:

another one... attached to the frame..
139282014_bc3839511c.jpg

hmmmm....... :|
http://inhabitat.com/2009/08/20/bike-capsule-shields-cyclists-from-stormy-weather/
http://www.bike-wps.com/

I'm sorry but is the tail fairing for Prison Races?
Wow a shield on a Moulton (yea what miles rides), that looks awful familiar - fairly sure that is a scatter shield for a police Harley cruiser from the late 80s?
-Mike

sk8norcal said:
how about just a really small fairing? :D

remember the profile water bottle from the 90's?

a new version..
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=64946217644

It wasn't that big. The pictures always make it look big. A couple final pictures as it fell on the carpet to its doom. Not even a test run yet.

Ok. I have a another idea. :idea: Maybe it just needs one more mounting point. I've taken my scrap aluminum mistakes and made some braces. Maybe it will be better. Not bolted down yet. My nose will be pretty close to it though. :shock:

D-Man said:
Ok. I have a another idea. :idea: Maybe it just needs one more mounting point. I've taken my scrap aluminum mistakes and made some braces. Maybe it will be better. Not bolted down yet. My nose will be pretty close to it though. :shock:

That looks like it will do a good job of taking out back-and-forth vibration, probably won't stop side-to-side wibble, but that might not be an issue...

On the subject of the aerodynamics, I found a pretty good animation of the half-cylinder case which is very similar to one of these windshields. The gif on the page is 4.4MB for those on dialup :wink: but well worth the download to get a better idea of the dynamics of what's going on. The periodic vortex shedding (the blue blobs in the animation) are a major source of drag for this kind of windshield, but more to the point, the major factor causing the vibration... IANA fluid dynamics expert, so I can't say what could be done to reduce this (if anything)...

http://www.ara.co.uk/content/2/159/caa-analysis.html (Image: http://www.ara.co.uk/Uploads/gfx/192.gif)

Ok. I'm not an engineer. Just a want-a-be engineer. Surely it couldn't be as bad as the flat shape. What about this chart:

Thanks. I look forward to hitting 35mph. :)

Back