Actually, I just made a model of this and it doesn't work. I didn't notice any change in the fairing tilt/load when the tailcone was put behind the fairing as the wind from the fan was hitting it. Tried different distances too. Fail!

I thought of doing it for the ebike but the handlebars aren't wide enough to mount more clamps with the twist throttle, gauges and everything else. The ones I have right now are already too small as the foam grips are overhanging by at least an inch. If I make the handlebars longer, then my arms will be out even further. Not good. Then the fairing has to be too wide. Maybe just a flat bar type handlebar so I can slide everything in but those won't look as good.

Edit:I got a longer road bike type stem on ebay awhile back for $5 to push out the handlebars out more so I can bring my elbows in better so I won't need a different handlebar. I would possible be able to squeeze in some clamps on the inside bends or just use straight bar ends and mount the gauges to the bar ends along with the fairing clamps.

Here's what I'm looking for. But instead of carbon, how about cheap steel or aluminum. $219 for a handlebar?

Ok here it is. The perfect ebike handlebar: Not available:
http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2138&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1,2,461,467

Testing pictures:

Here is a crack that you get if you tighten the bolts too much. And a side shot.

D-Man said:
Testing pictures:

Here is a crack that you get if you tighten the bolts too much. And a side shot.

Yikes! :shock:

Is that with the standard hardware that comes with the fairing? Sorry to see that you had it crack on you! Maybe you can use some glue that is similar to the stuff they use to repair windshields? Something that fills and seals to keep those cracks from spreading. If I were you, I would at least drill or dremel holes at the ends of those cracks so they can't spread.

LI-ghtcycle said:
:
Maybe you can use some glue that is similar to the stuff they use to repair windshields? Something that fills and seals to keep those cracks from spreading. .

If the fairing is plastic that 'glue' wouldn't work well at all.

If it was mine, and it is acrylic perspex i would be cutting a disk large enough to cover the cracks (an acrylic washer if yu like) then fix them to the windshield using either Acrifix123 or some Weldon13 cement. Glue doesn't work on plexi you must use acrylic cements.

KiM

Yep the Weldon works on Lexan as well as acrilic. Great stuff but don't breath the fumes! The Weldon 16 that I use is thick like model airplane glue from the old days. Holds my Lexan battery rack together fine.
otherDoc

@ D-man:

P.S. If you look at the site for ZZipper fairings, they have special hardware that consists of nylon bolts, washers and rubber washers. It would appear from your pictures that you are using standard metal bolts, that might be a big part of the problem too.

AussieJester said:
LI-ghtcycle said:
:
Maybe you can use some glue that is similar to the stuff they use to repair windshields? Something that fills and seals to keep those cracks from spreading. .

If the fairing is plastic that 'glue' wouldn't work well at all.

If it was mine, and it is acrylic perspex i would be cutting a disk large enough to cover the cracks (an acrylic washer if yu like) then fix them to the windshield using either Acrifix123 or some Weldon13 cement. Glue doesn't work on plexi you must use acrylic cements.

KiM

Ahh, good idea, that makes sense, I would still terminate the cracks with tiny holes too to help prevent the cracks from spreading too. :)

D-Man said:
The material is vivak. They say its similar to pete1 plastic. Its got 2 mounting holes that have the hairline cracks. It kind of cracks like car windshields do but isn't a full break yet. Just a warning sign. :) This is not a zzipper. Its homebrew. So which glue works on this when the cracks have full separation? (Weldon 16, Acrifix123 ,Weldon13) I assume this is order only stuff or can you get it locally? I'm using metal rivot type nuts and bolts purchased at the hardware store plus loctite. Expensive little buggers. Just using whats available.

I would personally go with Acrifix123 i prefer it over weldon...it is available from acrylic perspex suppliers check your
local phone directory for it or google i guess...Shouldn't be hard to source local though i wouldnt think. Weldon perhaps
might be easier it is more well known. Weldon 16 is the one i should of posted slip of the finger.

KiM

Back