3 wheel mountainboard - V.3 begins…

smokee

1 mW
Finally started work on the third build of a three wheel board design.
I have been learning from this site for a while now, without posting much. The amazing custom builds and variations on this site helped to inspire the direction of this project.
I took some time to redesign the power system. The heavy hub motor is gone in exchange for an outrunner. (motor undecided, sensored 6374 from APS maybe. Or an 80110… :twisted: ) It will power a generic rear pocket bike wheel.
The idea is to use as many off the shelf parts as possible. Mountain board trucks, pocket bike rear wheel assembly, and rc/APS based electrics. Batteries and controller will be mounted under the deck.
Instead of a lightweight longboard commuter that I can jump on between public transit to commute, I wanted something I could ride the whole way. All terrain, rip the streets, bike lanes/paths, parks, etc. More stable at sustained higher speeds... and an easy disc brake option.

Initially with the last board the plan was to make a ready to go, long range, simple hub-motor board that anyone could ride and charge safely(especially). I used an off the shelf golden motor mp3 kit with lifepo4 for simplicity. I actually only got to ride it for 2 days. It was built for someone interested in investing in the design.

I have started the mock up board with hardboard mdf, 5 layers at 1/8”. Cheaper and easier to shape. The final will be 9x 1/16” maple with a RockitLam veneer bottom sheet and 2 layers of carbon fiber on the top. I re-shaped the tail section of the mold to shave 3 ½” off the length of the last board.
I have mounted the trucks and I am thinking about stuffing an lcd volt meter in the nose.
There is still more shaping to do on the sidecut and the tail. Next though, is to fab up the rear wheel dropouts/hangers to mount to the deck. Then shape as necessary for chain tolerances etc…

I am going to try to log more of the process this time… Input is welcome.

Link to the last build: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=53348

Don't mind the dirty wheel. I picked up a parts bike for $35 so I could compare wheels, dimensions ect... it has been cleaned up a bit since these shots :)

Very impressive! 3 wheelers are fun! It'll definitely be stable, but I'm wondering if it will have enough of a turn radius to manage sharp turns? The outback boards had right and left spindles with a steering rack. Will the channel truck be enough?

Hey Jay. Ive been watching your videos for a long time and been impressed with your 3 wheel board with the 16" hub motor. Im not sure this smaller back wheel will turn as easily as the big one. Its my experience that the higher the axle of the single wheel from the foot deck, the easier it turns.

psychotiller-
It depends how sharp the turn :lol: It will have a tighter radius than the last board. The smaller wheel combined with 3.5" shorter deck length. Should help, but still wont be tight. We will see... I marked the mold to take an additional 2" out of the center if need be. I want to see how it feels at this length first. With the speeds I plan to go eventually on this rig, I don't want the steering to sharp/twitchy...

Pediglide-
I am worried about that. This wheel is a little over 11 1/2" fully inflated. It is the most common 6.5" rim. I wanted to try it first for that reason. The next size up is an 8" rim/13" overall (approx). I am hoping i will be able to shape the board so I could swap the wheel and bracket assembly between sizes for comparison.
I think 16" is just to big. You could feel the height and weight when you transitioned turn to turn... cumbersome. I am hoping there is a balance point in there.

The outback boards had right and left spindles with a steering rack

this one also,

http://wackyboards.blogspot.com/2009/07/tekno-extreme-power-board.html

tecno+extreme+streetboard+frt.jpg

Huh? He buys the Speedgo, chops-off the front wheel, replace it with the Trampas (with the two wheels of course), then viola...he's got a 3 wheeler.

EDIT: Oops, its voila. That's what I get for trying to be fancy.

Yeah, I agree the Speedgo frame has got to go, lol. But he can use the hub motor, lithium batteries, esc, brakes, and wired throttle; just like his build.

Jay, are you selling your decks? I'm looking for a supplier for my pods. I need something that looks like a Carveboard with mountainboard tip angles.
Your deck looks so great, it shouldn't be called a DIY board :D

psychotiller-
nah, SoCal is a bit out of battery range from Toronto... :lol:

benj-
cheers

Pediglide-
I am planning to sell decks if there is the interest. The idea is not to get into the complexity and liabilities of selling an all inclusive, ready to ride board. If, there is a demand, I would like to eventually sell everything from just the decks to a prewired rolling chassis ready for batteries, etc.
So, you would be more interested in a molded, but uncut deck? I have thought about doing custom spec'ed to order board pressing. Custom shape, length, thickness/materials. This deck is a directional shape, but a similar profile, symmetrical twin shape mold could be made.

Oh, and it is not called the DIY board, haha. maybe my thread title is misleading. It is going by "JBoard" for the time being. It is the name that has stuck so far... my friends and family like the name JBoard for the shape of the board, and my name/signature thing. Feels narcissistic to me :|
The name is not in stone...

cheers, jay

I would be more interested in cut blank deck, it would of course depend on the price. Theres a lot of blank deck makers here in SoCal, but they don't offer the shape and tip angles I'm looking for. I'd let you know by August if I don't find a supplier.

Got it. The shipping costs v.s local source would be a factor.
Let me know, I'll keep it in mind.

Pediglide said:
I would be more interested in cut blank deck, it would of course depend on the price. Theres a lot of blank deck makers here in SoCal, but they don't offer the shape and tip angles I'm looking for. I'd let you know by August if I don't find a supplier.

I think these guys are in HB. Have you checked with them? http://www.sk8factory.com/

^^^Contacted them already, they only sell pre-shaped board and it doesn't go to 11" wide. Talk to Churchill Mfg. too, but they stopped selling blank uncuts. Bought uncut blanks from Eastbilt, but the kick angles are shallow. Why don't you make me some. :mrgreen:

So Jay, this latest build of yours would be 9ply with 2 layers of carbon fiber, wouldnt that be too much? I think 7 ply and a layer of carbon fiber would be ok already. Is this something needed for a 3 wheeler? Or are you going for super-stiff for stability in high speed?

Also, have you seen the aluminum boards from beto pty and papos? IMO, a light and nicely-shaped aluminum board will go well with this 3 wheeler.

Pediglide said:
^^^Contacted them already, they only sell pre-shaped board and it doesn't go to 11" wide. Talk to Churchill Mfg. too, but they stopped selling blank uncuts. Bought uncut blanks from Eastbilt, but the kick angles are shallow. Why don't you make me some. :mrgreen:

What angles are you looking for on the nose and tail Pedi? And what 40" x 11"? At some point I was going to make a couple more permanent molds in my shop. Maybe we could give it a shot.

Pediglide said:
this latest build of yours would be 9ply with 2 layers of carbon fiber, wouldnt that be too much? I think 7 ply and a layer of carbon fiber would be ok already. Is this something needed for a 3 wheeler? Or are you going for super-stiff for stability in high speed?

Yes, 9 ply (6 long + 3 cross grain). The last board was 10 ply (8 long + 2 cross). 2 layers carbon. Too much, maybe. But I learned on the first board (7 layer, 1 carbon layer top), that the flex is very different with a three wheeler. Much more torsional or twist flex. The back wheel "waggled" and twisted the board, losing steering feedback. Felt very loose and sketchy. The second board was overkill, but the guy riding it now has 60+lbs on me...
I like the amount of experimentation working with laminates has to offer. Carbon/kevlar, maple/bamboo... lots of fun option.
Super-stiff for high speed yes, but more to handle landings/impact. I want to work towards it being able handle dirt jumps or a bmx track. Working towards a balance of strength vs. weight.

That's great info!...really looking forward to this build. You got your work cut out for you with "a balance of strength vs. (less) weight." :D I'm sure the result will be amazing.

It is a fun project. I doubt this will be the last "version" :D and (less) weight is definitely a priority.

Checked out your site. I didn't even know mtb tires came in white walls, very cool. I am imagining those white walls on red trucks, a carbon topped deck with a clear grit finish... maybe a light black stain on the side grain... 8)

They don't, lol. I painted them. The trick to have the paint not crack is to put more than 10 coats of really, really, really thin layers of sprays. I used a Zinsser primer, but next time ill use either Dupli color for vinyl or Krylon Fusion.

Ha, cool, I hadn't thought of that... very interesting. Is painting the tire a proven thing to do or are you experimenting with it? It looks really good. I couldn't tell from those pictures, I assumed you found a tire source I wasn't aware of...
I might have to borrow this technique for one of my builds... :wink:

Back