420A 24S ESC by aliens

Byte said:
So did Luke already test the ESC? :lol: Just kidding... Any news Bruno? Or has someone used one of Bruno's ESC's?

Hi Byte, no news here. I'm waiting like the others. I have start few new EV and RC project. Alienpowersystem is 2013 British champion on RC Boat class supercat with the twin ESC :D

Here another project.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=47176

Alienpowersystem website is also alive. Just updating the products.
Regards

Hi, Also i have few parts to sale. Regards

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45874&p=773215#p773215

Luke is far from the only guy around here who can string together a few packs and load down an ESC. How about someone pipes up who thinks they have the time, gear, and money to run the test. I will get the equipment from Luke and ship it to you at my expense.

Problem solved.

Who wants to do it?

If I land this dream job I am focused on and my coffers fill to the brim with fiat currency then I will do the test. Ain't rocket science - and I have all the gear. Might even be willing to loan some gear local if that works out.

-methods

sigimem said:
Maybe the ESC can run the collossus motor at smaller power levels? :twisted:
LOL sure it can you should buy one to tell us how it goes :roll:

A quick way to give yourself an idea is to guess at the efficiency, multiply by the power, then run a representative test.

Example:
Say the ESC is 95% efficient on average
Assume we want to run an average of 5kw
5% of 5kw = 250W

250W of heat......

Now go grab one of those gold 30W resistors (you know... the big power resistors in the extruded aluminum housing)
Run 30W through it
See how fast it hits 65C... then how fast it starts to smoke

Compare the thermal mass of the two items
Think about the cooling methods
Think about the temperature rating of the parts on the board

Then think about 250W applied to a similar object - or better yet... put on safety glasses and apply 250W

Not saying this example is directly applicable... just pointing out that there is a reason why things get bigger as powerhandling goes up. Even 1% efficiency loss can mean hundreds of watts to deal with. A tiny thermal mass means that there is no margin - the heat must be removed immediately else power must be retarded or things will get hot and die.

This is what goes through my mind when I look at something and try to gauge how well it will do at a given power level. A lot of us learned this with the airplane ESC's that were designed for a load profile that goes from no-load at 0 RPM to full load at max RPM (with a high wind speed... ) contrary to the bike load profile of full load at 0 RPM and minimum load at speed.

A tiny ESC combined with a hellishly wound motor is highly probable to result in violent ejection of parts from the board.

But - only a test will tell for sure :)

-methods

95% efficiency seems very low. You can easily run 2.5kw continuous through a castle controller with no active cooling, and those are much smaller than the aliens.

fizzit said:
95% efficiency seems very low. You can easily run 2.5kw continuous through a castle controller with no active cooling, and those are much smaller than the aliens.

yea, it might be as high as 98% at full throttle (no pwm) but id reckon 95% at part speed/throttle is a fair guess for methods ball park, when ive done continuous torque tests on a (lathe) dyno that is not moving and truly gives a continuous/no airflow condition, you tend to get your hands burnt when you come back an hour later even at very low power..

i have the gear and have put the offer in to test it a while back, i live in OZ but can pay the post to send it back to whoever.

Here is a test ride of the alien esc today on 75v i was getting 72mph ,but i had a whole lot of voltage sag,the motor got really hot but the controller was as warm as a body temperature,alien power system esc rocks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gKtMUTnjQo

kelvinscott76 said:
[youtube]0gKtMUTnjQo[/youtube]
Hover your mouse over the youtube tab for instructions how to make it appear this way.

Looks like a decent controller how hard can you hit the throttle at a stand still?

GPS for real speed proof I saw nothing that looked like 72mph and a number like that needs GPS data to prove the validity.

methods said:
A tiny thermal mass means that there is no margin - the heat must be removed immediately else power must be retarded or things will get hot and die.

A tiny ESC combined with a hellishly wound motor is highly probable to result in violent ejection of parts from the board.

-methods

That part is easy enough. But what indeed to create the mass with? The best conductor of heat is copper, then aluminum is no slouch. Is there such a thing as a circuit board itself to carry heat away?

Dauntless said:
The best conductor of heat is copper, then aluminum is no slouch. Is there such a thing as a circuit board itself to carry heat away?

wrong yet again brite eyes.

According to Wang's experiments, the spider silk tested at a heat conductivity rate of 416W per metre Kelvin. In contrast, copper - a common material for heatsinks - measured at 401W per metre Kelvin.

If you look at computer heatsink's both metals are often combined.
Sink with copper, release with Aluminium.

Nice, i'm using a phone screen, what values did we get up to?

today's ride was 58mph on 75volts and my battery efficiency now is low and has a high IR so i need to buy another battery pack

Attachments

• P100813_22.19.jpg
    P100813_22.19.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 741
Yeh battery with some good 'C's and hammer that little sucker, that's great news up to know very promising, thanks for sharing your fun.
I blew my clyte 72/50, again and this could be an option, mods might be fun.
Cheers.

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh said:
wrong yet again brite eyes.

According to Wang's experiments, the spider silk tested at a heat conductivity rate of 416W per metre Kelvin. In contrast, copper - a common material for heatsinks - measured at 401W per metre Kelvin.

The only thing WRONG is thinking that Wang is telling you that you can use the stuff. He's vaguely experimented with that stuff.

So how's that life savings investment in cold fusion treating you?

Oh, and you're supposed to be doing your fighting with your fellow battlebot, not falling into the crowd.

crossbreak said:
One question: Can you accelerate hard from a dead stop on a hill without using pedals? Does it struggle? What current limit did you set in CA?
I think the real question would be how many current shunts does it have. If the answer is 1, then answer to your question is yes, it struggles and will blow up some day.

With that in mind, I would like to see a test (video) of full throttle at stall, for at least 10 seconds.

Back