69er ebike anyone

adobian

10 W
Has anyone ever built a 69er ebike before ? 29 inch wheel in front and a 26inch wheel kit in the rear? I was wondering how that would ride say above 30MPH.

Just wondering.

Hillhater said:
69'er ..???

That's a common way to refer to a bike that has a 26" wheel on the front and a 29" wheel on the back. It is sometimes used to refer to the reverse arrangement. 96er is more common. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/29er_%28bicycle%29#96_or_69_Variations

I have the same question about 20-9er, 20-6er, and 20-4er setups. I'm 260# and ride in steep coastal SoCal hills so I'm considering putting a wide 20" wheel (2.35" to 3.0" tire) hubmotor in the back of a 26" Gary Fisher Big Sur hardtail frame with an effective diameter of 20.9" to 22". Even though I would probably use 145mm long Origin-8 crank arms with a 130mm spider with a 60t Vuelta chainring to compensate for the low BB, I'm thinking of running either 29 x 2.35 with a suspension fork or 26 x 3.80 Black Floyd tires on a Surly Pugsley fork or 24 x 3.00 Fatti-O tires with a Nashbar rigid mtb fork.

Most people suggest my steering will become squirrely but the chopper crowd seems to think that the longer wheelbase will be steadier at medium to high speeds. My arthritis makes low speed maneurering problematic in any event so I guess I'm a commuter style rider.

I would expect to place the battery pack on both sides of a front fork rack setup for better weight balance.

edit: Maybe, per Rifle, I should call these alternatives 9-20ers, 6-20ers, and 4-20ers.

Reactions?

Rifle said:
Hillhater said:
69'er ..???

That's a common way to refer to a bike that has a 26" wheel on the front and a 29" wheel on the back. It is sometimes used to refer to the reverse arrangement. 96er is more common. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/29er_%28bicycle%29#96_or_69_Variations

Actually it's the other way around...a 69'er ha a 29" wheel up front and a 26" in back.

Here's an example:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2009/archive/69er3x9

Oh yea and Wikipedia is full of errors. The only thing worse is Yahoo "answers" where everyone and their brother chimes in with their opinion in place of facts!

-R

Wikipedia is way more accurate than the internet in general. The article talks about how Trek had reverse nomenclature so having Trek as an example about how Wikipedia is wrong doesn't show me much. BUt language is owned by the people so it could be a regional thing. Regardless it's not important

Russell said:
Actually it's the other way around...a 69'er ha a 29" wheel up front and a 26" in back.

umm, u mis-interpret what he said...
and wiki is correct ....

96er should be the proper term, 9frt 6rr
but people call 96er "69er" cause it sounds kinky... :D

to add more confusion,
29er should be called 28-er ...........
(see sheldon brown)

tk_2009_69er_3x9_black_whit.jpg

ticycles_full_view_600.jpg

This setup would be very similar to the way MOST dual-sport motorcycles are spec'd, with a larger rim in the from and a smaller rim in the rear. The KLR650 and BMW GS are both good examples of this. Ability to roll the front wheel over obstacles is the main reason:

klr650-grn.jpg

Like my old 2006...

Back