750w motor recommendations

AlanL

10 mW
Hello,
Im looking for a 750w motor that can run 72v and hopefully handle much more than the 750w rating.

Does anyone know of a motor like that?

Thanks!

Well, because I’m trying to skirt California laws... Here ebikes are defined as having a maximum of 750w. The thing is there’s no way for them to tell how much power you’re putting through it. I don’t even care if i burn up a few…

I built a yz80 with a qs138 and votol 250 but it’s clearly illegal and they are cracking down more than i ever imagined. I plan to put the qs 138 into a CRF250 frame and just register it as a street bike for myself. I plan to put that 750w into the yz80 and leave the votol and 72v battery. I am just not sure i can even find a 72v 750w motor.

I love that my kids are able to ride some thing that our dumb laws will restrict until they are 16. I was riding gas bikes every where with way more power as a teen. These days they will impound it and give them a felony and make them not drive until they are 21!

(Anyone with a lecture in mind, start your own thread about civic responsibility or whatever you’re thinking.)

Thanks!

The thing is there’s no way for them to tell how much power you’re putting through it.

I plan to put that 750w into the yz80 and leave the votol and 72v battery. I am just not sure i can even find a 72v 750w motor.

So you need a mid drive motor that has 750W stamped on it?

The motor doesn’t care what voltage it’s getting. You can run 2/3 throttle at 72v ang that would be like full throttle at 48v.

Last edited:
I suppose that's true but if it's designed to run at 72v I'm not going to fry it the first time I go to full throttle.

Any suggestions on a motor that will handle that range?

The GMAC and Shengyi SX2 have the highest power density vs size of any hub motors.

Shengyi SX2 would be fantastic on 72v with a standard winding. It would overheat on steep hills or with extended use over 30mph.

lightest.bike mid drive is the current power density champion but it's only on rev1 and is not quiet ( possible to modify it to be quiet ).

Shengyi SX2 would be the quietest and smallest motor of the bunch.

I suppose that's true but if it's designed to run at 72v I'm not going to fry it the first time I go to full throttle.

Any suggestions on a motor that will handle that range?
Well if its for your kids, you can put a voltage divider on the throttle and start them off with 750W and turn it up as they get used to it. On the other hand, kids will figure that out and turn it up anyway.

Are you doing more or less a direct swap, existing chain/drive train, etc.?

I see stuff like this on Aliexpress, but they don't have a clear picture of the label, and it doesn't say what chain size it accepts or motor shaft size, etc.

Yes i am trying to do a direct swap of the chain drive.
I love the 60v option, I could set the ranges in the controller from 48 to 72 for the different gears. You are right that the label isnt very inspiring. I now realize that without pedals the bike is still illegal here. My reading of the California law before lead me to believe a type II fully electric-propelled bike did not need pedals as long as it was no more than 750W. However, it appears that it can be fully electric propulsion but still requires pedals. im wondering if i can put a 750w motor with pedals that are just for show and still be fully electric propelled.

Back