• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

9C front hub. dumb question

Hwy89

10 kW
I just installed a 9C 2806 front hub with an unknown brand 48v 1000W controller.
Connected blue-blue, green-green and yellow-yellow on both phase and hall wires, motor ran rough and loud in reverse.
Remembered something I read here and re-connected to blue-green, green-blue on both phase and halls, motor runs smooth and quiet drawing about 6 amps but still in reverse.
Before I start doing the 36 combination switch-a-roo, I have to ask this dumb question; do the wires come out of the right or the left side of 9C front hubs? In other words I have the wires on the right side, did I mount it backwards?

It's not that hard to figure out smooth fwd/rev combos but it helps to be careful and/or use a power meter. This is a good thread about topic:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48311&hilit=+Sensor

Other than rim or tire direction there's little need to worry about which side of the wheel the wiring exits.

No, I don't see an arrow or any other indication of rotation direction.
Correction; the amperage peaks to about 6A then drops to 1.47A when it gets up to speed. This is at full throttle with the wheel off the ground. I don't have a speedometer hooked up so I can't say how fast it is turning but it is smooth, quiet, and feels very strong. It's just spinning the wrong way.
I mounted it with the wires on the right because my two other bikes with Wilderness kits are configured that way so I figured that must be the standard. Is there a standard?

Undo your rewire - try swapping yellow / blue and if that doesn't go smooth, use yellow green - phase and hall sensors, that should land you on success without 36 combination shuffle.

-Mike

I don't have any front hubs mounted at the moment. Neither have arrows, and I can't remember which side has the wires.

It doesn't really matter though, unless you have a disk ready hub. Then obviously(if the fork has the disk mounts), the disk goes to the left.

The motor will run fine either direction with the right combo. Sounds like you have one, I'd just mount the wheel so it goes forward.

For a FWD, the wires come out on the RIGHT side if you are using the disc brake option, otherwise it doesn't matter.

You will have to do the 36-combination switcheroo unless you open up the controller and identify the color wire associated with Phases A-B-C. Same goes with the hub motor because they are not consistent: Both of my 9C F & R drives were purchased at the same time and their colors are not the same for A-B-C. :roll:

That said, using colors is a crutch and it will always be wrong/inconsistent between manufacturers until you personally can correctly identify and label A-B-C.

When you figure out the color associations, then wiring up the FWD is easy for Motor (M) to Controller (C), and Controller to Halls (H):

FWD M->C = A-A B-B C-C; C->H = A-B B-C C-A

Wires coming out the LEFT side will make it a RWD:
RWD C->M, A-A B-C C-B; C->H, A-A B-C C-B

The relationships can be swapped for C & H, so long as the pattern is preserved.

Granted it's a RPITA to open up a hub motor to note the phase identities, and so most people end up doing the switcheroo. I've opened up my components frequently and went about correctly labeling the wires at their terminations using colored heat shrink, and then taking pictures for the record so I won't forget. :wink:

Good hunting, KF

Yellow should be the middle wire inside the motor. B and G on the outside edges. Some kind of BG flip should reverse it? I'm confused now why it ran reverse both times.

It's really not that difficult to check combos. Obviously, red/black Hall sensor power remain the same.

For those that don't wish to read thread I posted previously:

spajanjefazakontrolerau4koraka.jpg

Once you find smooth low ampere rotation, fwd/rev is merely swap of a color pair.

Thanks for all the advice. I printed out the 36 combo spread sheet and noted the three combos I had already tried. My thought was that if I did the combos around the smooth reverse box I would soon find the one that was smooth forward. Wrong!
I tried 16 combinations yesterday before I was called away, two of them were forward but loud and rough. Hopefully I'll be able to work on it more today. At this point it would have been easier to just turn the rim around but I'm a little stubborn.

Ykick, I was unable to open the link you provided. I saw that it was some instructions by Accountant but I never could bring it up to read it. Any possibility you could re-post it?
I went through 29 wiring combinations before finding the right one. Just got back from a test ride and I'm quite pleased with it. It got up to around 30 Mph and runs silent even at WOT.
I ordered a 52 tooth crank sprocket so that I can maybe keep up with this faster motor.

Back