A2B new to me

Bob K

10 W
I let myself slip and I bought an old A2B Metro at a garage sale for $450.
Everything works. A and B battery pull just fine. Brakes,throttle, switch gear, all normal.
It has some corrosion from being in the beach area, but no sun or water damage.
Good tires, good brake pads. Not bad. The rear wheel needs a bit of truing though.

here is the tag to the rack mount "B" battery.
Does anyone know what this means?
LiOn, LiPo, something else?

Attachments

• P1020936.JPG
    P1020936.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 668
Are these chargers OK ?
One says Lifepo4 @ 36 v
One says Lion at 42 v

Any help is appreciated!

thanks

Bob K

After reading up all of the old A2B posts I see the Lifepo charger is just
an extra charger that I don't need. Anyone need one? The price will be right!

After going through the bike tuning and cleaning, I rode it about 5 miles up and down the canyons of San Diego and it worked well.
I rode 10 miles today on the B battery alone and at mile 9 going up Genesee Ave out of San Clemente Canyon
it sagged a bit and I had to peddle assist . Once I was on the flat it ran at regular speed just fine. The air temperature
is about 95 F. and everything was just warm to the touch at the end of the ride.
Does anyone know if this is reasonable performance out of this battery pack?

When the pack was new, they claimed 20 miles range for either pack. That probably includes some pedaling. Sounds like they are not in too bad condition. It is fairly easy to adapt a different type of pack to the rear. The one in the frame is hard to work on and not something you want to replace if you don't need to.

Thank you for the feed-back!
Question. When you went to a 52V pack on the stock controller,
did you get improved hill climbing?

Maybe a little, but the current limit stays the same so not much better torque. Top speed with the 52v pack is around 28mph.

I also managed to overheat the motor a couple of times by riding full blast for over an hour. There is a thermostatic switch inside the controller that can trip and leave you with no power for about 1/2 hour until it cools off enough to reset. This is a common issue with these.

Replacing the controller with an external one can really boost the performance but it's a LOT of work. You can see mine here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50590

Back