Accident this morning

fifthmass

100 W
Ouch, I'm OK but I had a crash with an SUV this morning on my way into work. Rear wheel of the vehicle ran over the front of my left foot :x . Went to doctor, got foot xrayed & nothing broken, just swollen. Minor spots of road rash elsewhere but otherwise by the grace of God, unhurt. Crash partially my own stupidity. Went wrong way up a deserted one way side street as part of my regular route. Only about 500 feet going the wrong way but that was enough. The vehicle came out of a drive way right into my path, the turning of the vehicle made it more of a side swipe crash than a broadside, thank God. Driver was predictably looking the 'right' way when he backed out and didn't see me coming the wrong way on the street. Driver was very concerned and apologetic and gave me and my bike a ride home. I got his information in case there were future complications but according the doc I'm fine.

Bike is totaled :cry:

Front wheel with motor completely tacoed, rear wheel ditto, crank and chain rings bent. Frame and chromoly fork seem OK. Battery, controller and other electronics are mechanically/physically OK as far as I can tell. I will have to test them tonight and check that everything runs.

Need a new motor/wheel and bike. What are thoughts of a 408 on a steel suspension fork? Most of the cheap beater MTN bikes have suspension nowadays. Might do a geared rear set up as well. A lot to think about.

Regards,
Bill

fifthmass, glad you're ok. Sorry to hear about your bike.

Please people, be safe and ride predictably out there.

Lcyclist.

Glad to hear you are ok, bikes can be replaced. I am very careful when I ride my bike because people don't always see you coming. I have had to avoid people hitting me about 4 times in the last two years. I hope you heal up quickly. I blew a tire @ 30mph last year and I had bad roadrash on my arms after that accident. If you need a new frame consider a full suspension model, your back will thank you. Now you can build a better setup and after you heal up just be more cautious ie go the right way down a one way street.

Believe me lesson learned and thankfully at not too high a price. Bikes are cheap. At least I don't have a cast on my foot for a month going into summer. Very grateful.

Bill

Really glad to hear you are okay.

If you foot stays swollen for too long ask your doctor for a
steroidal based anti-inflamitory which will reduce the swelling much faster.

CRAP! But also real glad to hear only the bike got totalled. I did something similar today, off my normal route, and was on the wrong side of the road as I crossed an intersection. Thinking at the time, shit, this is stupid, nobody expects me to be here. But the guy who backs out into your path doesn't see you either way you are riding, so I doubt it mattered much in your case as far as avoiding the crash is concerned. See if the bike is covered by homeowners insurance. Mabye it got stolen?

Glad my comrade Bill is not too badly harmed.

Have you considered a more protective helmet?

Do you think maybe some dirt bike armour would be appropriate for ebikers?

I've been debating a helmet. Wish they were a bit less expensive.
Most of my rides have dedicated bike lanes but not all.
Did your helmet help you in this case?

needwheels: don't ever debate wearing a helmet. I have been saved some serious pain by wearing one. I also suggest wearing a motorcycle helmet. They can handle an impact at ebike speeds. I picked up a lowcut motorcycle helmet for around $50.00. It has some battlescars on it that would have scalped me.

Guys,

Thanks for all your well wishes. My foot is feeling a lot better but I'll be limping for a while.

Am home now and getting a better look at things. The frame is wrecked. Fork is bent. Looks like the vehicle ran it over along with my foot. The electronics are fine. Took battery out of bag and it's completely undamaged. I just mounted the battery and turned on the controller. Watts up indicated correct voltage and bliping the throttle indicated the motor was trying to turn by the current spike. No way in hell it's gonna actually turn. The motor looks fine and the wiring out of the hub is undamaged. I will be sending the motor back to Electric Rider for a wheel rebuild. It will be a third the price of a new wheel even with two way shipping. So I'll be putting a rebuilt wheel back on the front.

Should be able to salvage fenders and rear rack.

The remaining question is what to get for a new bike. I don't mind going a step up from a Walmart special this time around.

Thanks again,
Bill

broloch said:
Glad my comrade Bill is not too badly harmed.

Have you considered a more protective helmet?

Do you think maybe some dirt bike armour would be appropriate for ebikers?

No, I don't go fast enough to really need a motorcycle helmet or armour. With motor I am normally going only 3-4 mph faster than I do pedaling a conventional bike. If I ever got a 30+mph set up I would get motorcycle gear; no plans to do that. Will be staying with a 408 at 48 volts.

Bill

First off, Fifthmass, glad to hear you're safe.

Secondly,

needWheels said:
I've been debating a helmet.

Shortest. Debate. Ever.

I got my bicycle helmet for $12 shipped on ebay (used, but in near-new shape - most people who have bike helmets never use them). Haven't upgraded to a motorcycle style helmet yet, but expense is no excuse - it could save your life, or be the difference between a nasty bump and total paralysis (or loss of any of those other brain functions). Just ask fifthmass, for instance.

Fortunately my head and neck were not part of the accident, just the lower extremeties.

I always wear a helmet. A helmet probably saved my life around 1990. I was turning into a driveway and skidded on a patch of ice. I went right down and my upper forehead hit the ground first. Thanks to the helmet it was only a strong jolt with no concussion, my neck was strong enough to take it fortunately so no harm to that. I would have had a skull fracture for certain if I was not wearing a helmet.

Bill

Mine is similar to this, found cheap on the skateboard aisle. I am 49 years old, and I have dumped my motorcycle twice at speeds lower than what I go on an electric bike. My uncle in Missouri died from a head injury on a motorcycle, and my brother-in-law almost died. Anybody who wants can laugh at me all they want...I don't mind.

TSGEvolution.jpg

Last summer when I endoed the bike with a water bottle stuck in the front wheel, my helmet saved my life. The helmet was all crushed in at the temple where my head hit the curb. Not the first time a helmet saved my ass. On a dirt bike I once plowed a furrow 50 feet long with my helmet in the desert. 40 mph headstand :shock: 8)

spinningmagnets said:
Mine is similar to this, found cheap on the skateboard aisle. I am 49 years old, and I have dumped my motorcycle twice at speeds lower than what I go on an electric bike. My uncle in Missouri died from a head injury on a motorcycle, and my brother-in-law almost died. Anybody who wants can laugh at me all they want...I don't mind.

TSGEvolution.jpg

I actually think that looks pretty cool, almost paramilitary. I may get one.

Bill

fifthmass said:
Guys,

Thanks for all your well wishes. My foot is feeling a lot better but I'll be limping for a while.

Am home now and getting a better look at things. The frame is wrecked. Fork is bent. Looks like the vehicle ran it over along with my foot. The electronics are fine. Took battery out of bag and it's completely undamaged. I just mounted the battery and turned on the controller. Watts up indicated correct voltage and bliping the throttle indicated the motor was trying to turn by the current spike. No way in hell it's gonna actually turn. The motor looks fine and the wiring out of the hub is undamaged. I will be sending the motor back to Electric Rider for a wheel rebuild. It will be a third the price of a new wheel even with two way shipping. So I'll be putting a rebuilt wheel back on the front.

Should be able to salvage fenders and rear rack.

The remaining question is what to get for a new bike. I don't mind going a step up from a Walmart special this time around.

Thanks again,
Bill
It is good that you salvaged most of your bike. If your motor is rebuilt (new bearings/axle) it should be good as new. For everyone else: use a helmet please it can and will save your life. If you riding over 20mph get a good motorcycle helmet, it may be overkill but it is more than enough to protect your head. You can get a bycicle helmet for $20.00 or less and decent motorcyle helmets start at $30.00 We all need to set an example for the next generation.

fifthmass said:
spinningmagnets said:

Image cut for brevity

I actually think that looks pretty cool, almost paramilitary. I may get one.

Bill

Compared to mine
images
that thing is downright stylish - I think I might head that direction as well (pun not intended, but left in anyway).

needWheels said:
I've been debating a helmet. Wish they were a bit less expensive.
Most of my rides have dedicated bike lanes but not all.
Did your helmet help you in this case?

In this particular accident my head/neck were not involved. All my injuries were from the knees down.

My helmet did save my life once back in 1990. Hit ice and head was the first thing to contact the road.

Please get a helmet. The one that saved my bacon in 1990 was a cheapy from KMart ($15 or so?)

Bill

huskydave said:
It is good that you salvaged most of your bike. If your motor is rebuilt (new bearings/axle) it should be good as new. For everyone else: use a helmet please it can and will save your life. If you riding over 20mph get a good motorcycle helmet, it may be overkill but it is more than enough to protect your head. You can get a bycicle helmet for $20.00 or less and decent motorcyle helmets start at $30.00 We all need to set an example for the next generation.

I will ask the people at electric rider to overhaul the bearings and axle. I've got about 2,500 miles on the motor and it's probably a good idea. The end of the axle opposite the wires was slightly dinged on the road but the threads were not badly damaged. I could get the nut on and off by hand.

Bill

It's been the law that bicycle riders must wear helmets in Australia for many years now. The helmets have to comply with particular Australian Standards as well.

You can even be fined if you are wearing your helmet and its not strapped on - this actually makes sense, because a helment won't protect your head as it rolls down the road as you come off. :)

fifthmass said:
Bottomless funds? I'd get something like a Marin Mill Valley. Otherwise check out bike shops that deal second hand bikes, or pawn shops. That way you can get something pretty awesome for cheap, just avoid anything that looks like it's been ridden quite a lot or has shoddy looking build or components. Oh, and check the bike fits you, you probably want french or eddy fit, or something between the two. You can take pics of potential bikes and post them here for people to armchair analyze. And make sure it's not stolen, you can check a serial number with the police, also if they won't write the serial number on the bill & sign it then don't bother.

Grinhill said:
You can even be fined if you are wearing your helmet and its not strapped on - this actually makes sense, because a helment won't protect your head as it rolls down the road as you come off. :)

I see a lot of this among the scooter riders in my area, often with the helmet pushed high enough on the head to allow the use of a cel phone :roll:

Mathurin said:
Bottomless funds? I'd get something like a Marin Mill Valley. Otherwise check out bike shops that deal second hand bikes, or pawn shops. That way you can get something pretty awesome for cheap, just avoid anything that looks like it's been ridden quite a lot or has shoddy looking build or components. Oh, and check the bike fits you, you probably want french or eddy fit, or something between the two. You can take pics of potential bikes and post them here for people to armchair analyze. And make sure it's not stolen, you can check a serial number with the police, also if they won't write the serial number on the bill & sign it then don't bother.

Bottomless funds :lol: ? No I'm looking at the $300-$500 range. The short list of what I need is:

Hard tail steel frame and steel fork
Fork with massive 10mm dropouts and nominal 100mm spacing.
26" wheels
Rim breaks (either V or canti are fine), no discs for now. My motor and front wheel are not set up for discs.
Strong rear wheel.

The only problem I noted is that the slightly better quality new bikes are all aluminum frames. I may end up having to get another beater from a box store just to get the steel frame. If I get another low end beater I will be replacing the cheap suspension front fork with a rigid chromoly fork like I had on my previous bike.

Any thoughts on using a 408 at 48 volts on a decent steel suspension fork?

Regards,
Bill

huskydave said:
fifthmass said:
Guys,

Thanks again,
Bill

Let me just say: I wear a "bicycle helmet." If bicycle helmets were only good to 20mph, road bikers wouldn't wear them. I realize the danger of a frontal crash caving in my whole face. I envision myself turning my head before collision to avoid this disaster. I try to keep my straps snug. Also, a guy on a motorcycle died around the corner from me from hitting a tree. He was only doing around 30. He was wearing a full helmet. Still didnt' work. Lots of blood came out of his ears.

Back