Aerobic Cruiser hub gear repair or replace

I have an aerobic cruiser whose hub gears are stripped. It is difficult to find replacements for this bike that hasn't been made for 10 years. My question is this: are there any new hub motors that are compatible with the ASI BAC1000 controller that came as original equipment?

Pretty much all BLDC motors are compatible with that controller, but you would need to use ASI's programming software to change the settings in the BAC to match the new motor.

WIthout knowing exactly what you have, other than "an aerobic cruiser", it's pretty difficult to help you find something that might match.

If you can post up details of exactly what you have, exactly what the motor is (at least good closeup pictures of it and any markings on it), we might be able to point you to replacement motors, or at least potential sources for replacement gears, assuming you mean the internal planetary gears some hubmotors use.

The original motor was a Cutler MAC500. I am not aware of any modifications or that the producers of the Aerobic Cruiser customized the order to any degree. The MAC500 was produced in Shanghai, China and one of the problems is identifying the wiring coding, since they were not always consistent in using coded wires for the same purpose. However, I do believe that the controller wire coding was consistent, so that may help.

You can ask em3ev.com if they have replacement gears for your Mac motor. They also sell new Mac motors.

Hmm, you've got an interesting ebike.

Aerobic Cruiser Hybrid Bicycle
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30421

Aerobic Cruiser Hybrid Cycle
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52603

[youtube]hhYEECpdNis[/youtube]

I already sent in a request to em3ev.com, but that was only yesterday. I would really like to upgrade the hub motor to a more reliable system. One of the problems with the original MAC500 was that it had 55T plastic gears. It seems like most of more recent entries have 36T, so each tooth is more substantial. We will see. My other problem is that I am leaving in a week and would like to take the bike with me on vacation. That can only happen if I find a solution quickly.

You want it more reliable and to receive it quickly. How about a direct drive hub motor kit from Amazon.

Do you know any sources for MAC 500 hub motors other than the Chinese sources. If I can find one--even used--I can swap out the guts into my old housing and hopefully be back on the road.

Lunacycle has a Mac motor & controller, $500.

Put up a want ad in the Items Wanted forum here.
Update your profile location so people know where you are.

I saw that and talked to someone at Luna Cycle. Unfortunately, they are out of bare motors at this time, which would have been $350. The paired version that you mention is $500 and comes with a ASI BAC 800 controller. My bike uses a ASI BAC 1000 controller. I do not know if they are compatible. I will try your recommendation of parts wanted.

Assuming the 1000 is also an FOC unit, then in order to use your existing controller with a different motor (even a different winding of the same motor), you'd need the software from ASI to tune it properly for the different motor, for it to run like it did with the original. It may still operate with a slightly different motor, but it may not behave as expected; depends on how close it's electrical properties are to the original.

As previously noted, the ASI controllers are BLDC, so they are compatible with pretty much any BLDC motor...as long as they're tuned via ASI's software for that specific motor.

I have a 12 year old Aerobic Cruiser whose hub gears are starting to wear. It is a 48T planetary gear whereas many hub gears are 36T. My question is this. Is there any way to retrofit or replace the current set up with the more popular 36T and how do you go about it?

If the gear is smaller in diameter but teeth are same exact size and depth and shape, you'd have to remake the clutch so the centers of the gears are moved outward far enough for the gears to mesh with the ring gear. Then you'd have to remake the axle so the sun gear is now large enough diameter to reach the planets.

If the gear is the same diameter the teeth will be different sizes, depths, and shapes, so you'd have to remake the axle and the ring gear to match those.

I don't know what the new gear ratio would be, but could be significantly different, causing the wheel to run at a completely different speed than it used to, and load the motor completely differently.

It's very likely that the amount of work and cost of all the parts will be far more than a whole new motor.

FWIW, even if you find gears with the same number of teeth, they need to be the same shape and depth as the originals or they won't mesh correctly with the sun and ring. If they have bearings built in they'll need to have the same ID as yours, or you'll need to alter the clutch mounting points for them to fit. If they don't have bearings built in, you'll need to order bearings with ID to fit the clutch mounting points and OD to match the gears' bearing holes. .

Can you post some pics of the wear on the gears? It's likely that only the (presumably) plastic planetary gears would wear, and not the (usually) metal sun and ring gears, but it's a good idea to verify that you don't need to replace them all before getting new planets.

Is there wear on the clutch, too? (meaning, does it have trouble engaging under higher loads, or does it slip?) If there is, you might need to replace it along with the planets, though there might be things to be done to extend it's life depending on it's design.

I have a 12 year old Aerobic Cruiser whose hub gears are starting to wear. It is a 48T planetary gear whereas many hub gears are 36T. My question is this. Is there any way to retrofit or replace the current set up with the more popular 36T and how do you go about it?
Didn't the Aerobic cruiser have a Mac motor? I got a prototype that Asi used to test the motors/controller. They donated it all to the local recyclshop, and I got 2 new Mac's, a badc1000 controller,cycle analyst, 36v 32ah battery, throttles,brakes etc.
Total cost $100 Canadian. I built this.

Attachments

• received_2056447851050072.jpeg
    received_2056447851050072.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1
Didn't the Aerobic cruiser have a Mac motor? I got a prototype that Asi used to test the motors/controller. They donated it all to the local recyclshop, and I got 2 new Mac's, a badc1000 controller,cycle analyst, 36v 32ah battery, throttles,brakes etc.

I have 2 complete sets of internals for a Mac. If that is what you have.
I broke both cases, so they are wasted here. One 10turn, one 8. Both have new halls, temp sensors, Grin 12g motor wires.
I'd be happy to sell them, or just a set of gears, if your interested.
On the other hand, if you are replacing a Mac, I'd be very interested in buying the old. I've had no joy finding cases for .
them.
I love thesmotors, they need to be used

Back