AFT Mid Drive, Oil, Ceramic Bearings

drew12345

10 kW
Hello. I'm a noob (5 months) from USA working on my second ebike. Thanks to you guys my first bike, commuter, worked out great. It's hard tail (existing bike) with kit from eabikes.ca (clyte HS3540, 40a Infineon controller, etc) and 48v 20ah of lipo and goes 35mph. Really loving it so far but will need to upgrade to full susp.

So onto my real question. My next bike will be mainly for trails, tight singletrack, plenty of rocks, logs, sharp rolling hills, with lots of stop and go. I want to go with AFT mid drive 48v 1680 watt off road version. I like the gng and cyclone great but I don't want to get involved with all the mods. So seems like AFT is good approach and Jim is really good with customer service. I was wondering your opinion on AFT and is Oil and Ceramic bearings worth it? Durability is key for me. Note: I've read the other AFT threads on here.

http://www.af-tech.com.au/Products_Ebikes.html

drew12345 said:
Hello. I'm a noob (5 months) from USA working on my second ebike. Thanks to you guys my first bike, commuter, worked out great. It's hard tail (existing bike) with kit from eabikes.ca (clyte HS3540, 40a Infineon controller, etc) and 48v 20ah of lipo and goes 35mph. Really loving it so far but will need to upgrade to full susp.

So onto my real question. My next bike will be mainly for trails, tight singletrack, plenty of rocks, logs, sharp rolling hills, with lots of stop and go. I want to go with AFT mid drive 48v 1680 watt off road version. I like the gng and cyclone great but I don't want to get involved with all the mods. So seems like AFT is good approach and Jim is really good with customer service. I was wondering your opinion on AFT and is Oil and Ceramic bearings worth it? Durability is key for me. Note: I've read the other AFT threads on here.

http://www.af-tech.com.au/Products_Ebikes.html
hi mate,after 1600 miles i have no issues at all and a boat load of fun with my AFT kit.also the noise of the motor helps a lot with people stepping out in front of you.all in all i am very happy although i want to build a new ride with more power but that is to be expected.
darren

Thanks so much for replying and very happy to hear motor very reliable. Any opinions on the oil and ceramic bearings?

drew12345 said:
Thanks so much for replying and very happy to hear motor very reliable. Any opinions on the oil and ceramic bearings?
yes i do,if you can afford them do it.they help with noise and power consumption aswell plus it looks damn cool with an oil res on a bicycle.
darren

Got AFT Mid Drive this week with several upgrades (high performance cooling fins, external oil reservoir, ceramic bearings, noise reduction covers, prototype controller cover, etc). Below are a couple of videos of packaging and motor overview. I'm in middle of installation so will post that video in my build thread in next couple days...hopefully. Keep in mind I'm a noob and never had a mid drive before so stuff I say in videos maybe incorrect.

Here is video of packaging
[youtube]L4tTiemgwbM[/youtube]

Here is video overview of Motor prior to me installing it. This is 15 min but gives you look at several of the upgrades available for this motor.
[youtube]kHGvHbU6VxE[/youtube]

drew12345 said:
Got AFT Mid Drive this week with several upgrades (high performance cooling fins, external oil reservoir, ceramic bearings, noise reduction covers, prototype controller cover, etc). Below are a couple of videos of packaging and motor overview. I'm in middle of installation so will post that video in my build thread in next couple days...hopefully. Keep in mind I'm a noob and never had a mid drive before so stuff I say in videos maybe incorrect.

Nice work on the videos Drew, i'm close to ordering an AFT kit (a bit short on funds at the moment...), it's good to see one up close on your videos. I'm interested to see how it all goes for you, show us pics/videos when you've got it up and running

Back