Amazon 1000 watt 48 v rear hub motor wonky performance

Jolfstn74

1 mW
Hello forum.
My favorite person got me for the holidays the kit above by Suncoo
https://www.amazon.com/SUNCOO-Electric-Conversion-Intelligent-Brushless/dp/B0838WXRPL
Upon which I've mounted it upon a sturdy Raleigh Venture 4.0 c late 1990s. The results are as follows:the 2 white "Learning WIres" from the control box, if attached to each other, the bike responds to the throttle, in reverse. When not attached to each other, the bike spontaneously goes full speed with no input, no response from the pedal sensor in either case and no response to the throttle when wires are attached. Previously I had a 1200 watt hub motor on a fat tire bike that had "Learning wires' permitting the activation of the 750 watt max output making it street legal, these wires on the current kit seem to have a different purpose. I'm having difficulty finding specifics on this kit, there's nothing particularly distinctive on the control box, in the control box, nothing written on the motor, and the instructions, while properly amusingly poorly translated from chinese, mention 2 iterations of this kit, one with simple LED display and one with the LCD display I have, and the learning wires do not appear on the iteration with the LCD display, I'm thinking likely this was a previous generation in the documentation, as the LCD is supposed to have a display input with 3 wires and a sensor input with 2 wires and the kit I have has only one 5 wire input. I opened the control box looking for evidence of something having let the smoke out, some kind of burned mark but all seems intact. The peripherals are displaying 4.5 volts as they should on my multimeter, and resistance decreases upon actuating the throttle as it should. Because the problems are consistent and repeatable, I'm thinking instead of a bad controler it must be some setting, I have a vauge memory of a sequence of attaching and detaching the learning wires on some kits to repair reversed motors and maximizing output. The wire colors on the pedal sensor coming from the control box match those on the throttle, both 3 wire assemblies, I thought perhaps the matching colors were supposed to align so I switched the connections on the pedal sensor and throttle otherwise they would have been both male and both female making attachment difficult. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Anyway, it had no obvious effect, actually the reverse throttle response was not present so I assumed this was erroneous. Is it possible this is an issue with a setting or bad control box? Am I just a complete idiot? You don't even know me, don't call me that! Seriously though, any thoughts?

If you have a setup where everything works properly in reverse, (which it seems you have when the learning wires are connected), all you should have to do is reverse 2 of the phase wires. Those are the thicker wires going to the motor, and there should be 3 of them. Swap 2 of them with each other, so that if the colours matched on all 3 before, now they only match on one.

Should have followed up a couple weeks ago, that's what I wound up doing and she runs great!

Back