Amberwolf's Flatbed Kennel Trailer

If you come across another set of Quickie quick release hubs AW
i'll buy them off you i want to build a new chair formyself
this year so will start collecting bits as i can afford them...
Chasing some 'frogs leg' casters for the front doubt, you would ever come across these seeing they are 300 bucks a set :-S

KiM

Gordo said:
It looks like the trailer wheels & axles from the kid trailer would be perfect for the front of a trike?
Maybe; I also have two sets of similar ones from a couple of jogger's baby strollers. I expect all of these have the same hub/axle strength ratings, so they'd likely work well enough on a me-only trike, but probably not on my planned cargo trike.

Did you use the steering head from a mobility scooter for your trailer hitch?
Not quite; it's from a ScootNGo "adult" scooter:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=272171#p272171

AussieJester said:
If you come across another set of Quickie quick release hubs AW
i'll buy them off you i want to build a new chair formyself
this year so will start collecting bits as i can afford them...
I'll keep an eye out. So far havent' run into any, and another friend that was going to get her old worn-out chair to me never did. Just other regular wheelchair bits. I do have another Quickie brand that's in ok shape, made for a narrow kid-sized person (I sort of fit in it but it's uncomfortably narrow), but it does not have QR wheels; it's all plastic stuff and bolted on.

Chasing some 'frogs leg' casters for the front doubt, you would ever come across these seeing they are 300 bucks a set :-S
Yowch! definitely never seen any of those, but I can ask my sources.... They sure look nice. I wonder how hard it would be to make some.... Hmmm.

Best I have is some of the big fat caster wheels, like 3-4" wide, but they are "airless" like most of these things. I'm using one of the ~two-inch wide ones on the trailer now.

Most recent used of the trailer, yesterday, almost got Hachi killed. I've been having nightmares about it all night, and even daymares yesterday, flashing back to it with all sorts of "what if" bad stuff happens. Can't seem to stop thinking about it.

I finally got DayGlo Avenger and everything working with the trailer and motor, so I could start taking the dogs out again. It's been a few months now because of problems with stuff and lack of time and parts to fix them. I took Hachi out in the Kennel Trailer up to work to socialize her some with dogs and people that might be there, and maybe go to the park afterward.

On the way there, though, the trailer hitch came apart as I was transitioning from a driveway on the sidewalk to the road, because the sidewalk was going to get too narrow for the trailer a little bit ahead.

At that moment, the hitch came off, and becuase of the way the load was changing in the turn, and the heaviness of the bike itself plus the motor helping me pedal, I didn't evne feel it happen right away! :shock:

A car that was a little ways behind me stopped and moved the trailer and Hachi back into a parking lot and watched her while I turned around and came back, and everything turned out ok, but if they had not cared or not noticed (somehow) and hit her, she coudl've been hurt or killed (instead of just terrified).

I also almost broke her ribs hugging her so hard after getting back to her, and she was happier to see me than when I have been gone for hours from home.

Failure details: My hitch has the handlebar stem on the bike end, and the steerer and head tubes (minus the fork) on the trailer end. Stem goes up into the trailer's steerer tube (upside down from normal, ostensibly to prevent exactly what happened even should the bolt fail), and is tightened securely by wrenching the stem bolt down, which forces the wedge nut to clamp into the steerer tube.

The failure was that somehow the bolt and wedge nut failed and CAME COMPLETELY OUT. I looked around a little on that road, but didn't find them. Hachi probably moved rearward past the back axle of the trailer, and the turning plus that lifted the front of the trailer enough to allow the steerer tube to come up off the stem, disconnecting it entirely from the bike. :shock:

I am certain that I had tightened it securely, as I couldnt' turn the wrench any further, just like normal, when attaching the trailer before leaving the house. I can't imagine a situation other than the bolt actually breaking off at the base of the wedge nut that would allow them to fall out, and even that shouldn't be possible, even though the bolt is the hollow type from a BMX that usually has the front brake cable passing thru it.

I really want to find the bolt to figure out how this could have happened.

What I SHOULD have done with the hitch, that I did once during initial testing but nto during regular use, is to run the bike lock thru the front of the kennel's vent holes and then around the U of the fork the hitch attaches to the bike with, so that even if the hitch broke or came loose, it would never have been able to come off the bike itself (although it would probably drag the bike to a stop really fast).

I DID do this for the rest of the trip, but I moronically didn't do it to start with, and nearly got her killed because of it.

Even having a stupid bungee cord between them as I had to do for other reasons before moving the wheels forward a bit would have kept it on the bike long enough to let me know the hitch had failed, and let me stop before it came off. :(

Anyway, now at least I will always always always put the bike cable lock thru the kennel and around the U-fork so that even the same failure cannot result in loss of the trailer. I may weld a U onto the bottom front of the hitchpost to bolt a specific cable of shorter length to, rather than using the bike lock, but even the bike lock will do the job fine.

See here for main post with ride details:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=447022#p447022

Basically I used the trailer again today to pickup dog food, full to the top with the lid on, crammed in there tight. I forgot to actually note down the weight on the bags before the dogs got to shred them while licking the emtpy bags clean, after I put the food away, but IIRC a good guesstimate is about 200-250lbs.

I had problems with the bike near the end, but the trailer worked pretty well. ONly real issue was the same problem I have pretty much always had--it doesn't ride perfectly straight under pedal power because of the cranking causing sway, that the trailer magnifies and returns to the bike causing me to unbalance. So I have to do mostly motor to pull it, as pedalling hard enough to really help will cause the problem to appear, regardless of gear or cadence.

Oh, and that the hitch on the bike is just plain not stiff enough to keep the front wheel of the trailer off the ground totally, so every few feet the wheel touches wherever the ground rises just a tiny bit (the road always ripples just a bit on the sides), whcih triggers a shimmy that lasts just an instant, but it can build up if the touchings are close enough together. Sometimes I can go for a quarter mile without a touch, but rarely--that requires hitting *just* the right speed to keep the trailer pulled up enough to keep the wheel from ever touching.

I've tried numerous ways of "pulling" the trailer hitch up toward the seatpost, but what I will end up having to do is make a clamping pole that goes from the seatpost or seattube back to the stem of the old fork that is the trailer hitch, just in front of the swivelling portion. I'd prefer to weld it, but I could only do that on the hitch end--the bike frame is aluminum, unlke the hitch.

In ten days, there will be an event at the store that I will be bringing Nana to, so I need to work out the bugs in the hitch before then, since she's about half the weight of the stuff I just hauled, and she will probably move around in the trailer on the way there, making it no easier to do this than it was with the heavy food. :roll:

I finally remembered (thanks to TopCat and emmetbrown in another trailer thread http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=30863 ) to add the under-axle-line brace I had been planning on for months (at least).

However, it didnt' work out like I intended. I planned on essentially continuing the angle-steel underframe I had begun up front, extending it around to the back end and bolting the axle mounts thru it. But the bedframe steel I had planned on using turned out to be so hard I could not drill thru it! I couldn't even make a start on the hole, though it was easy enough to add a little dent to create the centerpoint, with a huge nail as a punch.

I destroyed 3 drill bits in different sizes trying to do it, and the sharpener I have either doesnt' work or I am using it wrong. It's from HF so either is possible.

So...I pondered, and decided that all I *really* needed was to add a brace between the bottom edges of the axle plates so that they could not spread apart at the bottom. When they spread, the tops narrow, and the tires rub on the trailer badly (there are grooves from this in the kennel!), and it adds significant load to the motor and my legs. :(

I dug out one of those square tubes I'd picked up with CrazyBike2, the ones that used to be retail-store signage, and cut it to length to fit between the axle plates. Then I unbolted the little super-hard L-brackets currently attaching the plates to the flatbed from underneath, and pivoted them 180 along the axis of the axles.
DSC04740.JPG

Then I bolted the new brace across the ends of those, with very large fender washers to spread the load from the bolt/nut across the brace and bracket surfaces.
DSC04741.JPG

DSC04742.JPG

Just grabbing the wheels and spreading them shows that this works ok, although a loaded road test is in order for seeing if it really fixes the problem. Maybe later tonight, when it cools off a little more and I'm not so wiped out from yard work in the sun/heat, I'll take Nana for a ride around the block and see how things work out. :)

Regarding the hitch support on DGA itself, which sags under loaded trailer, for now I have bungees tightly across the point; I just don't have time to make the support I want to use there, not for a while.
View attachment 1

Seems to work ok, as even with Nana in the trailer, and the bike upright with both wheels on ground, it's got more than enough space under the third wheel for a Turnigy Watt Meter to sit on it's middle-longest side, with a finger's breadth between it and the bottom of the tire. Should be plenty to clear the ground and whatnot over most of the roads to work and back.

I also have a steel cable that ties around the hitchpost and the seatpost, but it is only so that if the hitch comes loose I don't lose the trailer off the bike again. I will NEVER let that happen again. :oops:

A quick around-the-block trailer test with Nana the St. Bernard in it worked ok, just to be sure it'll be alright for the trip to/from work tomorrow with her. She also calmly stayed laying down and wiating for me to let her out, during the whole ride, and even when I stoppped a few times to check things. Just wagged her tail a lot (THUMP THUMP THUMP inside the hollow boomy kennel).

The current trailer/bike configuration, with lights on and off. (and with Nana and Hachi wandering in front of it for scale comparisons :lol: ) Note how bright the reflective tape on the trailer and hitch is, in the flash.
View attachment 4

View attachment 3

Also added a "bumper sticker" to the trailer. :)
View attachment 2

Today was the store meeting where we could bring our dogs up, so I brought Nana, the St. Bernard, and she was a great hit...and behaved mostly, but I did have to keep the muzzle on her, as there were many other dogs of various types and training levels, and I can't predict what they will do that she might not like, nor can I control them--just her.

She had no problem in the kennel trailer, except that she wanted to get out right after getting in (cuz it's very hot out there, even with the iced towels and whatnot I put in there for her), and it took a bit of calming and convincing for her to lay down and stay still at first. Once we were going, it was fine.

I couldn't go faster than about 15MPH, and even that was pushing it, because the trailer gets this side to side shimmy above that, and then she gets up and it really starts to wobble around. It flipped over on it's side once, on the way home, because of that. Two passing vehicles stopped, one in either direction, to help and to block other cars, and one driver got out to help. I was surprised, but thankful.

Nana was not hurt, or apparently even very disturbed by it all, but she was happy to get home.

I wasn't hurt either as I was already in the process of trying to stop once I saw (in the mirror) and felt the shimmy get uncontrollable, but it was too late...all I could do was step off the almost-stopped bike, let it fall, and try to keep the trailer from falling over hard, but I could not reach it in time and it tipped over fully on it's right side.

I guess the lesson is to keep it at 12-13MPH max, no matter what, with that trailer, until I can determine exactly why it happens and fix it (if it's even possible).

I wish I had pics of the store event itself, but we can't do photo or video on premises so there are none. I had planned to take pics of Nana in the trailer once I got home, but after all that had happened I just wanted to let her out of it, and back into safe-home for her to feel better about it all. Before we left, it was too hot to make her wait in the trailer while I took pics.

Now, a couple hours later, everybody's settled down and napping, although I can't sleep cuz it's still too hot (94F inside and out).

The bike itself performed fine, and didnt' have anything break in teh fall, although there's now more scratches on stuff on the right side than in the pics from last week's crash.

The Fusin motor got pretty danged hot; not as hot as last time I used the trailer, despite using it mostly at similar speeds (I think), if a bit less load. This time I could easily keep my hand on it's casing even 10-20 minutes after I got home, and didn't need to put any cooling water on it at any point. No cutouts of motor or pack or controller, either.

At this point I'm pretty sure it must've been halls overheating causing the cutouts before. Not much else makes sense.

Max wattages I saw realtime on the CA were around 700-800W during startups, with me cranking on the pedals pretty hard in lower gears, nearly standing on them to try to reduce the load on the motor at startup.

Typical wattages were in the 150-400W range, depending on slope and speed; it seems like the slower I go below 8MPH the worse the heating gets despite the lower total input power, but that is a guess based on hand-checking the motor cover after running at those speeds vs at higher ones.

10-12MPH seems the ideal compromise between trailer shimmy and motor heating. Keeping in mind that I am pedalling quite a lot--about 75W worth according to the realtime CA display, as that's about how much it goes up on the motor if I stop pedalling.

After I converted the Bell kids' trailer to a flatbed, I pretty much retired this one, but used it a couple times here and there with DayGlo Avenger since the above post.

But now it is being permanently retired, as I am building a new pusher traielr that can do everythign this did, better and more reliably.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48718

amberwolf said:
better and more reliably.

Reliable? Amberwolf concoction? Yeaaaah, riiiiight. Are you going to install the automatic spoke snappers and tire flatteners? :roll:

Back