Amberwolf's Flatbed Kennel Trailer Mk IV

Yesterday, I installed and tested the towel curtains on the inside of the crate, just ziptied at the top and front edges, for the side pair. The front is a smaller towel that's draped over the door in front, on both sides of the door, and ziptied in the middle of the towel at teh top edge of the door, with a bungee over the top hooked on front and back of the door near it's bottom edge. THat keeps it from flopping around in the wind as we ride, and lets me roll it up for a view and better ventilation for YOgi (or Teddy if she ever rides in it) when we stop somewhere.

There's none on the back end of the trailer/crate, so it sucks air from the crate and thru the gaps between towel edges and top and each other, and cause evaporation that cools the air inside the crate, swirling hte air around in there to keep any heat from building up as long as we are moving at least a little.

I wet the towels down before our trip to work around midday, and it turns 95F in the shade to about 80F inside the crate without any air movement. In the direct sun it's more like 115F air temperature on top of the crate, and climbs to about 90F inside the crate without any air movement. But even a few MPH towed behind the trike and it drops back to 80F (or less), even with Yogi in there making his own heat. (tested by mounting the thermometer in there and stopping to check it periodically, and remounting it outside and stopping to check it periodically).

PReviously, for longterm cooling while Yogi (or Tiny) would be staying in the crate while I'm at work (cuz it's still pretty warm in the breakroom, with only indirect AC in there whenever the doors open as people go in and out, plus leakage around them), I'd put those little gel ice packs in a layer under the blankets and above the padding, keeping them in the deepfreezer overnight each night beforehand. They worked, but were probably pretty uncomfortable until they softened up as they thawed out. Like little flat rocks underneath. :(

Iv'e come up with a few ways to make these into a single flat pad, but so far haent' been able to implement any of them workably or reliably, as none of the containment materials were up to the pressure of these dogs walking on them (progably woulda been ok with just laying on them, but all that weight in one little spot and POP. Even the individual packs burst pretty often, leaking gel all around the isnide of the blankets).

So when these:
http://www.khmfg.com/cool-bed-iii.html
went on deep clearance at work, I bought two of the medium sized ones. Partly that was for cost, as they were less than a quarter the cost of the next size up which isn't even twice as big, but mostly for practicality.

They use water added to a foam pad inside, making them kinda like the gell pads for comfort, except they dont' slosh/squish around as much, so there is always some water and some padding everywhere inside the pads.

But even the middle size ones use over 3 gallons of water, so each one weighs 25lbs once filled. Two of them almost perfectly cover the crate bottom on teh trailer, and one of them nearly fills the bottom of the kennel-crate on the trike.

The next size up uses almsot 7 gallons of water, and would be more than 50lbs filled up. I *could* lift it still, but I couldn't walk anywhere with it, and getting it in and out of the confined space of either crate would be a big struggle.

So two smaller ones would be much easier to deal with, albeit still not easy, as I have to take them out of whichever crate is being used that day and put them in the refrigerator to pre-chill them overnight (the foam would be damaged by freezing).

Then I drop them into the deep freeze a couple hours before we leave, which further chills them but ahs no risk of freezing in that short time.

They're still cool by the end of a shift at work, total about 10-10.5 hours from the time we leave the house to go to work to the time we get back to the house afterwards.

Have survived a day with each dog so far (Yogi and Teddy), no ruptures even though the pads are only rated for about 60lbs, and Yogi is more than twice that, and I'd guess Teddy is about 100-110lbs (havent' tried to weigh her yet).

Since these are padding as well as cooling, they don't need the blankets in there, just towels across the top to keep claws from puncturing or scratching them, and to absorb droolies and stuff, and spills from their water bowls.

A bit after the above, Yogi finally accepted Teddy, so I stopped needing to take one or the other with me to work. Good thing as it started getting pretty hot by that time (though ti's gotten hotter since).

So I've been using the trailer as a flatbed for cargo, to pick up some stuff that was being tossed out, like these small one-use pallets (to be taken apart to be used for the deck of the new trike for Raine:
IMG_3677.JPG
IMG_3680.JPG
IMG_3683.JPG

that I'm beginning to build now), and some stainless steel tubs that I am not totally sure how I'll use yet, but probably will make a deep sink for the utility room out of one of them, and maybe one for outside too.

The pallets were a "perfect fit" the way they're loaded, but the longer one is also just about 1.5" too wide to fit between the wheel frames, so if it's against the dropout on one side it rubs on the spokes on the other. But placed vertically, it fits exactly (as in, tamped down with a mallet cuz of friction with wood of side of small pallet) in the gap to the side of the small pallet. So it wouldnt' wiggle around I strapped it with one set of tiedowns to the left side of the trailer, and to the right with a second set, both running down under the trailer's inner siderail just under the pallet, too. Despite all the potholes and sideloads and whatnot, it stayed perfectly tight and uprigth the whole way home.

While digging out more stuff for the Raine Trike today, I semi-finalized the idea to add the ability to turn this into a "box trailer", and to finish the wood deck for it, now that I've got more pallet slats to do that with.

For the basic box trailer, it'd just get slots added to it just inside the wheel frames, so that I can drop some of the old retail shelving vertically down into them. Then another set across teh front, and a set with hinges at the bottom edge for the rear, to act as a loading ramp.

Each of the side panels will have a 90-degree bracket at it's upper corner on each end, so that it can be bolted to the front panel with one and carabiner-clipped to the back/ramp with the other.

This will make carrying larger cargos of randomly-shaped items easier, as they can be stacked in there rather than all having to be strapped down in similar-type stacks. Much faster loading and makes it possible to haul loads I couldn't otherwise do all at the same time..

I dunno that I'll have time to do it tomorrow but soon, I hope.

Haven't used the trailer for the dogs since the last post for that above; it's just too hot out there for them on the roads in traffic to take them places this summer--mostly been in the 110F+ range, then lately in the 105F+ range. Even on the few "rainy" days, it's still usually over 100F much of the day, unless it is actually raining at the time.

Used it for a bit of cargo here and there, but the last time i needed to haul stuff (big load of groceries) I ended up using the crate from the SB Cruiser on the old MkIII trailer, behind CrazyBike2 (SB Cruiser is still down from the small wiring fire until I can finish rewiring it), and moved the lights off this trailer back to the MkIII, where they still are, along with the crate.

Have had some thoughts on improving this one, which include:

--remove the crossbeams from the center except at front and rear, and replace them with an X from corner to corner of the inside frame. This would stiffen up the trailer and make it stronger for heavier loads. But it would also take away what little flexibility it has for helping with some of the rougher roads, when carrying the dogs on it. :/

--So in that vein I've been considering suspension ideas for it, discussed a bit over here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20025&p=1213328#p1213328
Nothing practical yet, mostly wild ideas in the back of my head that cant' even be built, and probably wouldn't work anyway.

--Considering changing the front hitch stuff from the angled stuff it has now, over to something more like what is on the MkIII version, so it extends flat out until it reaches the tongue, then goes up in a squared gooseneck. Mostly this is because I have had a few times when it would've been more convenient to have that extra flat space right there, and might be worth the possible strength compromise on the hitch frame. It's probably all still much stronger than it needs to be even for the heaviest loads I could actually pull with the bike or trike, or that the wheels of the trailer could support without failing on the holes/bumps/etc of the roads here.

--Still considering widening the trailer a few inches, so that both dogs could easily and comfortably lay side by side in it.

--Also considering lengthening it a bit, so I could use it to haul the other vehicle with it, entirely off-ground (at present I could easily tie down the front end of the trike to it to let me pull SB Cruiser *and* the trailer with CB2, but I don't think I could safely do that with CB2 being pulled by the trike, without having some sort of fixed stiff frame mounted on the trailer to ensure CB2 couldn't tip over if a strap slightly loosened or sagged).

--Still need to add the mounts for the "fences" around the bed, to allow sticking stuff in there that cant' be easily strapped down (just toss it in and cover over with a "tarp" that's tied down). These would also allow the mounting of custom side, end, and top pieces that turn it into a single giant crate for the dogs, rather than strapping a regular crate to it.

--Still need to finish the wooden bed and affix it to the trailer. At present it's simply held on by whatever cargo is on there under the straps holding the cargo down. If it was affixed to the trailer I wouldn't need to use straps on just the bed itself when it's going somewhere empty with me to pick something up.

Naturally haven't managed to get any of the above done. :oops:

Today I used the trailer for two trips, though; first to pick up an old cabinet being tossed out, and next for a huge grocery trip (put off due to illness, weather, and budget, till we were out of just about everything).

The cabinet is mostly particle board, so it is very heavy, about 250lbs+. I don't know exactly, because I can't hold it up on the scale properly and still see the scale and not have the thing tip over and fall. But it is not all that big, so it fits easily on the trailer. It's actually not any wider, though it is longer and taller, than Yogi's crate that this trailer was built to carry.
DSC05792.JPG

It's going to replace the table in the kitchen, to act as a better workspace that doesn't take up as much room and lets us get around the kitchen a little easier, hopefully. (though sometimes I like the narrow space between table and cabinets because it lets me lean on boht at same time to pull myself up or lower myself down, or get around when things hurt too much, etc...we'll just ahv eto see how things work out about that bit).

(The table will, for now, just have the legs detached and get stored away, until other things get rearranged and then it will move into another room to be used for other work. )
DSC05795.JPG

Anyway, I think this was possibly the heaviest load the trailer has seen so far...but it handled it fine. Some of the shelving might've been heavier, but I am not sure.
DSC05796.JPG
DSC05797.JPG
DSC05798.JPG

The only problem I had was that apparently the tires had lost a fair bit of air while the trailer sat unused, but I did not check this before leaving, didn't notice while it was empty, but once loaded up it was obvious...only I had not taken the air pump with me, had left it sitting there at home where I had been getting the straps and whatnot loaded into the bike's cargo pods, but forgot to put the pump back in. So I coudln't fix the tire issue. I did have the spare wheel with me, but didn't see the point to changing it out since both were low the same way and if I had one low and one full it might be worse than just both low, tilitng the trailer, etc.
View attachment 8

Being so low (about 10psi (vs 50psi normal) when I checked once home), I was afraid I might destroy the tires/tubes, or even have them pull off the rim in turns, but nothing bad happened. It just took a lot more power than normal (aobut 700w at 18mph!) to pull, and accelerations took 2500-3000w for the entire 4-5 seconds that it took to accelerate from zero to just under 20MPH, every time I had to stop.

Since the taillight/turnsignal bracket is meant to be movable for differnet cargo, I just ziptied it to the back rail while empty, then used the cargo straps around the cabinet to secure it to the top rear edge of the cabinet for better visibility of it by those behind me on the road.

The grocery trip had a smaller load, but not by much--it was about 180lbs of stuff (not incluing the trailer), loaded up inisde coolers and the plastic doggie kennel/crate that's often on the back of the trike.
DSC05799.JPG
DSC05800.JPG
DSC05801.JPG
DSC05802.JPG

I'd also planned to stop by goodwill before the grocery run, but never got that far--traffic was pretty crazy in the area for reasons I couldnt' determine. Sundays are normally pretty quiet around the afternoons/evenings, but not today. So I wanted to just get the grocery stuff done and get home, after having already dealt with that traffic for the cabinet trip. Nobody did anything really stupid or mean, though some people were typical drivers, and did dangerous unthinking things that I see every day on my work commutes, and often on other trips.

Lots of people parked in the bike lanes in the no-parking-anytime-for-any-reason zones, though, so I pretty much couldn't use them in any part of my trip, so cars had to just wait for me or go around me into the opposing traffic lanes in the areas where it's too narrow for us to both be in the lane together and not safe for me to ride too far to the right due to the parked cars I have to pass.

Was fun, though--lots of people were impressed and/or thought I was crazy, hauling around heavy huge loads on such a crazy looking contraption. :)

Sort of....

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49550&start=1100#p1211656
one of them:
file.php

Thanks AW. I read your posts. Just great you can do what you do, Many cannot do anything like that. Many can't even change a light bulb and some have enough to pay to do it. I love to ride but enjoy the work I put into what I have done.

Dan

PS:
come up to Chicago and help me do gutters :lol: :lol:

If I had the vacation time from work, and the money to get there, it might be fun. :)

The low tires in the previous trip apparently damaged the tire beyond it's original age and other problems; the sidewall threads just ripped apart on the outer layer, lettting the tread just rupture and break away, while sitting there in the yard over the days since the trip above.

DSC06036.JPG
DSC06037.JPG
DSC06047.JPG
DSC06048.JPG

For now, with all the other work I have to get done on teh trike, and the rim replacement on the bike, I just swapped out the whole wheel for the spare, in case I need to use the trailer. I hadn't tested how long it would take or how easy it would be, but it's as easy as changing the front tire on any non-suspension no-front-brake bike would be. Took about 5 minutes because of my fumbly hands. Wuld take about a tenth of that for a normal person. Might take longer with cargo on the trailer, but since the wheel comes off the top and not out the bottom it's still not that bad.

I changed the tire with one of a pair that Cvin gave me when she changed the tires on one of her bikes, leaving the old ones disused, so now I have that as a spare wheel again.

Been using the trailer to haul some medium (150lb) loads of square tubing and wooden signs being tossed out, that I can use to build stuff from, primarily for the rebuild of the SB Cruiser's deck and whatnot, and to build up the Raine Trike when it becomes practical to continue that one.

Also to haul regular grocery loads (usually about once a month) for me and Raine; these loads are typically anywhere from 80-150lbs+ depending on sales and clearances at the stores; the more we get one time the less we need the next.

Has been decent weather for hauling dogs around in, too, but havent' done that yet as there's been no need to take them to work with me, and been too worn out and often depressed to want to take them out on trips otherwise. So Kirin hasn't had any rides yet.

Unrelated, but the below is a crosspost from another member's trailer thread, just so I dont' lose track of the thoughts. :)

Schludermann said:
I use a trailer a lot around town and sometimes I transport a heavy load, usually like 50lbs or more, and it's a real drag.
I know what you mean about heavy loads and drag, though my loads (not including hte trailer, which in the case of the MkIV with the dog crate on it weighs around 50-ish lbs by itself) usually are in the 100-200lbs range (and sometimes quite wiggly). There's a link to this trailer in my signature, and links to the others in that thread.

In my case, for now, I depend on the 2WD power on the trike (or bike) to pull it, which is sufficient for doing this on the flats. But I've considered a number of ways to motorize a trailer.

The motor mounting I've most considered other than hubmotor (since mine are custom-built it's easy to work mounts for the motor in there, as I can't use single-ended axles anyway for the loads I carry) is simply to use rear wheels for both sides of the trailer, with single-speed freewheels on each one, and chain drive them from a brushed powerchair motor with gearbox (like I used on the early CrazyBike2 drivetrain; they have massive torque). This would let me get started from a stop, the time I most need extra power when hauling a load, and then when I get up to speeds beyond what I'd have the trailer assist geared for, the trailer wheels would freewheel and not ahve to worry about drag from the motors and chains.

Being 24v brushed motors, I could run them in series off a single "48v" pack and controller, and each would have the same current as the other, and same torque.

Or for more massive torque, in short bursts at least, I could run them in parallel off the same pack and controller, and each would have the current needed to do it's job.

Can't do either of those with brushless motors, would need individual controllers, but in that case torque would even itself out as each one pushed, shouldn't need anything fancy to prevent torque steer.

In my case, I would not get any braking from the trailer's motors, so I would need to use mechanical brakes on it instead, if I used the freewheeling wheels and chain drive to the powerchair motors.

But if I used hubmotors I could get regen braking (or even active EABS braking like on my trike's right rear wheel).

For throttle and brake I would probably use an adaptation of a kind of brake used on automotive trailers, where the car slows down and the trailer pushes on the hitch, compressing a braking control device in the tongue, activating the trailer's own brakes. As the compression decreases, the braking decreases, so the trailer doesnt' jerk the car around.

In this adaptation, if using regen braking, one might need to use a controller like the Phaserunner for brushless motors, that can control braking proportionally to the amount of braking control input, rather than like the typical ebike controller that just turns regen on or off to whatever it's maximum is.

Anyway, there are two ways to control throttle, using just the trailer itself--one is to use the same arrangment as for the brakes, but in reverse, so that a sufficient pull on the tongue from the bike would engage the motors, and the harder the pull the greater the motor output. There does need to be a dead zone between braking and throttle, though, or else the trailer will always be trying to push or to brake, when it's not necessary.

Since in my case I would prefer to only use the trailer motors to help at startup or when there is a steep enough slope to start dragging the trailer down, like going up a driveway/parking lot entrance, etc., I'd also probably put a speed sensor (perhaps a 555 timer type circuit) that once the speed gets above what the motors can help with the controller is disabled (or just the throttle), and only reenable ti when the speed drops below that point.

A second way throttle could be controlled is to use a speed sensor to send pulses to an op-amp circuit to integrate them into a voltage, so that the faster the bike goes, the faster the trailer goes too.

Catch with this one is that at zero speed startup, when having the trailer help at it's full capacity would be most helpful, you'd get zero help from it. But using the trailer tongue pull/push detection would give maximum throttle at this time, as the trailer lags behind the bike.

Can also combine the two using just a switch instead of proportional control on the tongue, which would turn off once you've gotten going, but then the speed control would keep it going just enough to keep up with the bike.

I haven't built or tested these ideas yet, but they should be fairly easy to implement, and then just fine-tune for the actual trailer/motors.

To simplify stuff you can use just one motor: there's no need for two motors, though it would give greater torque from a stop and be easier on the motors. Any off-center torque is something you can get used to easily enough, and learn it's handling characteristics.

(below is crossposted between the SB Cruiser thread and the Mk IV trailer thread)

Heaviest load so far, I think, at 591lbs of dog food.
file.php

file.php

The trailer carried most of it, 468.5lbs, while I only put 122.5lbs of it in the trike's bed.

The trike carried 3 bags of food, plus 50lbs of cans (whcih I use a spoonful of plus some water along with a hair under two cups of dry kibble for each of their meals, twice a day for each of two dogs; makes their meals more enjoyable. They'll eat anything, but they go for it more enthusiastically with the wet food in there).

FWIW, each bag of food averages about 1.5 to 2 weeks of food, so this trip gives me around half a year of food. At the extreme clearance prices I got it all at, it was only $250 for all of it (I think the receipt said I saved over a thousand dollars, and that doesn't include all the savings!). I couldn't readily feed these monsters at regular prices (at least, not anything even halfway decent, and almost all this stuff is pretty good).

The trailer wiggled a little under this load in turns and on the washboard sections of road at intersections and whatnot, but nothing broke or shifted around. It also balanced just fine, and I had no problems with it pushing the trike around or causing any handling problems.

The trailer tires, inflated to 50psi just before I left the house to go get it, were still squished quite far by the load (which they aren't designed to take, of course), but not enough to be damaged visibly by the end of the ride home, and when checked after unlaoding didn't appear to have leaked.

It did temporarily deform the bed into a slight curve, and canted the tops of the wheels toward each other--not unexpected. Didn't interfere with the load or rub on anything except for the top edge of one bag on the right side that looks like it touched the tire at some point--probably in a right turn.

Once unloaded it appears to be flat again, as normal. If it was built out of "real" steel tubing, rather than old retail signage, it'd probably be stiff enough to not have this problem (and might even weigh less). Alternately if I had a rail around the whole thing, that would also stiffen it up. That was part of the original design plan (to be removable for flatbed use), but like brakes has not been implemented yet.

Speaking of weight, I'm not sure I ever actually measured the trailer's dry weight, which turns out to be about 75lbs, holding it vertically standing on it's nose on a scale. Heavier than I thought, but lighter than it could be. This includes the deck and frame and wheels and hitch and lightbar on the back.

I bolted the SMV sign to the vertical of the lightbar. Usually this sign is bolted to teh tailgate of the trike, or if I have the dog kennel on the trike, it's bolted to the door of the kennel. Whatever the rearmost largest vertical surface is, that's where I try to put it for visibility.

I actually had only a couple of drivers get a bit testy as they went around me, gunning their engines to accelerate as fast as they could--but both of them did so in areas where there was no other traffic but them and me, and they had the complete left lane clear to pass me in. One used that, but the other came close enough to almost hit the trailer's left edge with their tires, and their door mirror overlapped the space the trailer took up.

Nobody honked or yelled, and everybody else just went around me normally, most of them switching lanes well before they got to me, which surprised me because most don't seem to think of that until they get right up behind me.

Was also surprising because I was going around 15-16MPH most of the way home, as braking from 20MPH with this load takes quite a long distance (still haven't built brakes into the trailer--I really need to do that :oops: ). Braking from 15MPh is less than half the distance.

As I was approaching home, about half a mile away, a police car followed me, pacing me at a distance of several car lengths behind for around 1/4 mile, but then they turned off into a different neighborhood. Probably they were just curious as to what the heck this contraption was. ;)

Trip stats below. Note that stats are comparable to teh trip with just Kirin (only about 140lbs load on the trike, no trailer), though load was same on trip there and trip home with Kirin, and here it was just the trailer's 75lbs on the way there, plus 591lbs more on the way back.

Speeds were same boht ways with Kirin's trip, speed there today was normal, but on way home was about 4-5MPH less than usual. I saw about the same power consumptions at the lower speeds though, due to the load on the way back, and possibly because of the different leftside motor (4t vs 3t)

unknown start voltage (forgot to note it, wasn't fully charged, but had cleared stats to get them for just this trip)
53.6v end voltage
49.2V min

4.821 miles
20.1MPH max
12.3MPH avg
(forgot to note triptime)

365.65Wh
76.0Wh/mile

6.971 Ah
0.5% regen
7.0101Ah fwd
0.0376Ah regen
-19.0A min
70.01A max

Present odometer is 2881 miles total on the trike.
file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Thanks--someday I'd like to add power assist (and braking) to the trailer itself. Lots of ideas for it, just have to actually get around to it. :/

I have a new version in the works here
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94215
that will be fully enclosed and air conditioned for the dogs. It may be built out of the Mk IV, rather than starting from scratch.

A partial mod of the Mk IV to stiffen it for much heavier loads (like an upright piano) is happening over here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94215&p=1387146#p1387146
with pics to come tomorrow.

Got most of the goals done, and it worked fine:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94215&p=1387398#p1387398

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

I took the trailer on a rare outing to breakfast, since I was also out looking for a king size mattress (not room enough for four St Bernards and me on a twin-size bed) and when I got there found the wires to the tailligth/turnsignals on the trailer had been ripped loose by something, but I don't recall anythign that could have done that. Anyway, I had to temporarily rewire them at the time, and just today, a few days afterward, finally got them all rewired, including new connectors on the trike and the trailer (as that part was also damaged). While doing it I redid the hairball of wires at the back of the trike by the lighting bar, so now it's neater and easier to deal with if I have a problem in the future, with heatshrink nstead of tape to insulate things. :oops:

While fixing that up, I also welded on a lockable box to carry cargo straps/etc in, and bolted on a vertical triangulated riser to lean stuff on that won't fit on the bed directly, and tie it down to. This came in handy when I ran into a sale on metal-screen security doors at Lowes, so I was able to easily tie it down to the trailer very securely (which woudlnt''ve been true without it).

The door itself is something i've wanted for a while; used to have one before the housefire but when the landlord repaired the house he took it off for unknown reasons. Said I could put a new one on, as long as it wasn't white. But all the cheap ones are either white or black, and I didn't want black. The sale one is almond, which I didn't like either, but it's better than black. (I'd rather have white).

Back