Any advice for controller for Joby motor for mid-drive appl

12-C

100 W
New guy here. Lurking for a while and trying to get up to speed. Lots to cover, much of which I may never understand.

Coming from a road MC background, and I"m looking to build a mid drive free-ride bike.

I'm thinking of using a Joby JM1 for the build. From what I've gathered there is difficulty when using a sensorless motor/controller and starting form a dead stop in a bike (?). I've read that hall sensors can be installed to aide in this problem.... I see Toolman's nice build where he races mx bikes but it seems

My other problem is that I have no skill set in programming and setup of controllers etc. I would literally need a plug and play setup for the controller etc. this is my first experience with EV.

Any options given my limitations?

Thanks for the help.

The problem with sensorless startup and small motors is to start under load.
Look at for example the tangent drives that use a high enough gear ratio to fix this.

I have built centrifugal clutch solutions in the past to basically achieve the same thing.

Are you sure you want to engineer your own system around the jm1?
What are your reasons for going with the joby other than power to weight?

Welcome 12-C,
The Jm1 can be set up to start quite well under load, but its not easy to arrange, have a look at the photos here to get and idea. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=80516&p=1243501#p1243501

There are FAR easier ways to go i can safely say, mxus hubs are quite popular..
But yes its possible;
[youtube]_Y-_i24yV44[/youtube][/quote]

Wheazel, thanks for the reply.

The reason I like the Joby is the nice data sheet :D . I like the torque and power figures especially with it's potential given a reduction. It also seems to be narrow enough for a stealthy build.

I hear you regarding the clutch design. That would definitely be great for a scooter application where some of those components might already be handy, but you are right for a motox/MTB hybrid that would involve too much engineering which is not my skill set. I was hoping that since the joby is a relatively hi rpm motor like the Astro3220's it might work like it does for reucmpence and his builds.... without the need for anything special other than reduction (also they can share the same castle creations 160 controller according to JOby).

Thanks.

Toolman2, Thanks for the invite and having a look.

So it does need the sensors? Did you try it without them ( just wishing lol)?

I looked at the link talking of the rv motors. I'm guessing the price point and potential for modding make it so attractive. Unfortunately I would prefer a narrower motor. Ultimately most of that thread was way beyond my understanding.

Is the RV motor a better performer than the joby as you have yours set up? or is it that it has potential to be unleashed beyond what the joby can offer?

I would bite on the RV given it's simplicity but I'm not sure I could make it work given it's dimension.

One of my greatest limitations with all of this is technical and EV know-how. I'm searching for a plug and play solution for the motor-controller-batter-dash(for lack of a better term)

Thanks!

12-C said:
Is the RV motor a better performer than the joby as you have yours set up? or is it that it has potential to be unleashed beyond what the joby can offer?

compare the price and you have the answer to your question :)

madin88 said:
12-C said:

compare the price and you have the answer to your question :)

lol I'm not sure if you are bring sarcastic or captain obvious :D

I'm guessing that on a dollar to dollar comparison the RV offers a lot but as with most things the diminishing returns on each dollar of a high end component such as the Joby come into play...?

The Joby should be always the better motor compared with a same size, or same rated RV
it has lower weight and better efficiency (less eddy losses at high RPM).
Both obove points make it so expensive.

You probabaly can get similar or even more power out of such RV, but the question is how much INPUT POWER you need for that and how long you can make use of that power before the motor overheats.

Back