Any good and simple "cop button" solutions?

DRMousseau said:
Your e-bike speed jus isn't going to be easily "detected" by conventional means under most typical situations. Your more likely to be compared to traffic movement. And if your maintaining the surrounding traffic speed in 25-35mph speed zones, then it's likely to be assumed that your e-bike exceeds the typically established 20mph limit, and you won't be cited for speeding,... unless your grossly exceeding posted traffic speed.... but you WILL be cited for escalated offences of operating an unregistered/uninsured motor vehicle and other associated offences, and maybe even careless or recklessness.

These "observed offences" may be tough to argue, and a "cop button" isn't likely to relieve you in any way.

Accurate peed detection is much better at speeds of 30mph and above, and in very light traffic or on open roads where you may be more likely to be traveling at such speeds or above,.... it becomes much easier to see and be aware of patrols in such traffic and areas, and take the necessary action to avoid trouble before being "observed" or detected. Again, that "button" jus isn't gonna "save" you any trouble.

If your e-bike APPEARS to be a motorcycle, chances are, it IS a motorcycle,... and you'll be carefully observed in your actions. And that "button" won't be hiding your actions.

I'm often casually asked by the curious observer, "How fast will it go?"
My reply to most,... "It's regulated to not exceed the legal limit of 20mph." (ahem :roll: )

It could not hurt to have one to try out in a pinch :D You could lift the wheel nail the throttle and go look it only does 19 mph without me pedaling , might throw the Cop right off.
I agree staying out of traffic is key , if you riding in traffic your looking like a sore thumb and likely making other drivers nervous. No one wants to hurt someone in error.

In order to know if a "cop" button could be useful for you, I think you need to really understand the laws in your area and have a sense of how LEOs are enforcing (or not) those laws.

In my case, I think it might be marginally useful. AZ law has a 20 mph max for an e-bike and does not specify that as "with motor assist." Realistically, a relatively normal looking bike doesn't seem to draw any attention at 25 mph and below and I don't want to go much faster than 25 mph except for an occasional short burst anyway. So a "cop" button would generally be of no use to me. But there is one exception. There are some significant hills in my area and I can easily end up in the mid 30s to even 40mph for stretches of half a mile and more going down these hills. In the unlikely event that a cop does pull me over for going downhill fast on an e-bike, I could argue with the cop and with a judge if necessary that surely the law didn't intend to make e-bikes slower than regular bikes - especially if I can convince them that my bike simply doesn't go that fast under e-power. But given that other bikes go fast down these hills, I doubt I'd get pulled over even going downhill. But if I could rig something up easily and cheaply, I'd feel more comfortable about things.

There's a fellow here who is making a streamliner in Texas. In Texas they specifically mention a maximum speed of 20 mph motor assisted. So a "cop" button makes perfect sense for him since he has already shown that he can pedal his bike un-powered over 30 mph. With it he could demonstrate that the bike doesn't go that fast powered, but it does if he pedals. And in his case, he's planning on going over 30 mph a lot. So having the bike appear to be limited per law could be useful.

But in the end, if you look pretty much like a regular e-bike and don't try to operate your e-bike like a motorcycle, you will probably have little practical use for a "cop" button. Heck, I found myself zipping up to 25 mph recently and looked in my sideview mirror to see a Sheriff's patrol SUV just a few dozen feet behind me. He was effectively pacing me. I had a quick moment of "panic" and eased off the throttle. But I doubt he ever even noticed me. I was just some guy pedaling fast on a bicycle.

DRMousseau said:
I'm often casually asked by the curious observer, "How fast will it go?"
My reply to most,... "It's regulated to not exceed the legal limit of 20mph." (ahem :roll: )

Since I have my bike currently on the market for sale, I do reveal a bit more to curious inquiries of interest,... "It IS capable of 40mph under it own full power with a fresh battery. That's a lot more than most would find comfortable with on a bike like this."

My unique lifestyle keeps me riding year-around in majorly two states, Florida and Michigan. And BOTH states seem to have existing and newly emerging laws of great difference, that I have to be aware of. The newest of MI allows a classification of e-bikes into three different classes depending on speed and PAS.
Class 1-An electric bicycle that is equipped with an electric motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that disengages or ceases to function when the electric bicycle reaches a speed of 20 miles per hour.
Class 2-An electric bicycle that is equipped with a motor that propels the electric bicycle to a speed of no more than 20 miles per hour, whether the rider is pedaling or not, and that disengages or ceases to function when the brakes are applied.
Class 3-An electric bicycle that is equipped with a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that disengages or ceases to function when the electric bicycle reaches a speed of 28 miles per hour.
A huge improvement over the previous "it's a moped" description.
All of these are limited to 750W, and the main purpose is intended for limitations on MI extensive path and trail use, of which some are still completely prohibited by any e-bike! AND, as of Jan2018, all MANUFACTURED bikes require an identifying class label w/info!

Now I don't ride trails much, but I might occasionally. And as "an old man on a typical bicycle", I jus might get by if I set my controller right and keep my operation within' a "class" setting,.... MAYBE! Because technically I DO have well made, "unlabeled" home conversion with a 1500w motor pushed with 52V!!! And bicycle patrols are usually "enthusiasts" who are quite aware and well versed in the specific laws. Button or not,... I could still face trouble on these trails. And on open roads??? Well, would YOU believe "an old man" could pedal a heavy e-bike at over 28mph to near 40mph??? Ya,... not unless it's one big long hill I'm descending! Again, no help from "a button",... but still better pedal to "appear" good.

Now Florida,... ARG!!! The seat, by law, on my new "semi-recumbent" build, MUST reach a min 26" height or more, at max adjustment. This was intended to keep mini "toys" off the street, and what I'm building is no toy, but how do you argue that!?! (Hoping for updated laws here.)

Back