Any good solutions for integrating shifters and throttles?

majornelson

100 W
I'm converting an older mountain bike to a cruiser style build. I like clean builds but I struggle with using the existing (exceptionally ugly) half twist or thumb throttles with my bikes shifters and brakes. I'm open to any solution. And since this is a rebuild, I can choose any combo of shifter, # gears, etc. to make it work.

(On one of my bikes I used friction shifters, which are a little awkward. On another, I used a thumb throttle but It's difficult with mountain style levers to shift.)

And by the way, IMHO all of the switches, throttles, PAS controls, etc. look cheap. Gotta be a market for better looking and functional controls... ;)

Lee

<<<<And by the way, IMHO all of the switches, throttles, PAS controls, etc. look cheap.>>>
Well, they are cheap.
I can't suggest anything to improve the looks, but, for functionality, I find the throttle on the left side much preferable.
I don't shift the chainring, so there is less interfearence problems by moving the throttle over.

motomech,

Interesting solution. I'm so used to motorcycles and scooters it hadn't occurred to me...

And yep, the parts are cheap. I'm just sayin' that once you pay for the battery, motor and bike, a couple of more bucks to make it look great would be okay with me. :)

(BTW, thanks for your feedback on all of my recent projects).

Lee

I just move the thumb throttle over like it is(vertical type).
Ebike CA, Lyen and BMS Battery, among others, have left-side half-twist units.

Yer welcome.

As i don't use the front chain ring shifter but only the rear gears on my mtb conversions i remove both click/ thumb shifters for front and back shifting. I then put a half twist throttle on the right and an old skool shimano revo twist shifter on the left to change gears on the rear.
The only thing is the twisting action is upside down as it is meant for the right side of the handle bar, but this becomes intuitive after a short while. This of course can only be done with stand alone brake levers and not ones with integrated click shifters unless the are un screwable. Shimano twist shifters are cheap on ebay but work pretty good.

majornelson said:
I'm converting an older mountain bike to a cruiser style build. I like clean builds but I struggle with using the existing (exceptionally ugly) half twist or thumb throttles with my bikes shifters and brakes. I'm open to any solution.
After using twist and thumb throttles and realizing that any of these solutions gives a little less quick access to my brake levers I have decided to do away with throttles completely and just use PAS. This leaves the handlebars clean with one less wire, quicker to hit my brakes and I am a tad closer to the EN15194 standard.
For break levels I prefer to leave existing brakes and use sensors. I am using these hydraulic sensors on my shimano hydraulic brakes, they work well.
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6121234048.html
Unlike in the picture you don't need a little cable tie, the ring seems to be a neodymium magnet and stays in place by it self, I added a dolb of glue to ensure it stays for good.

brumbrum said:
As i don't use the front chain ring shifter but only the rear gears on my mtb conversions i remove both click/ thumb shifters for front and back shifting. I then put a half twist throttle on the right and an old skool shimano revo twist shifter on the left to change gears on the rear.
The only thing is the twisting action is upside down as it is meant for the right side of the handle bar, but this becomes intuitive after a short while. This of course can only be done with stand alone brake levers and not ones with integrated click shifters unless the are un screwable. Shimano twist shifters are cheap on ebay but work pretty good.
Which is exactly how my Bomber was arranged when it came from Stealth. I never did get used to which way the gears worked but with that much power it mostly stayed in top gear.

My personal preference has been the trigger shifters. Usually these are part of the brake handle, but not always. I don't put ebrake handles on my bikes, so this works fine. This is used on bikes I do actually shift gears, like the dirt bikes.

I do have one bike with regen, and that I engage by using a pushbutton switch. Like a doorbell, or horn button.

Once you have the trigger shifters, a half twist or thumb throttle works fine, but you need some bar length because you have to put the throttle 1or 2 CM down the bar so the shift trigger doesn't hit the throttle. Some bars, I'll shove some broomstick up the bar to make the handle an inch longer.

Lots of other solutions work though, one of my early commuter bikes I just took off the front derailleur. Then the twist shift for the rear gears was moved to the left side, and works fine upside down.

On my longtail, I have an old school friction shifter on the right for the rear gears. Since I nearly never shift, this works fine. The funky twist shifter for the front gears gets used even less.

brumbrum said:

This is what I do on most rides.

If not twist, I move them to the other hand and put it upside down, reaching above the brakes to shift.

I think a streamlined shifter & throttle system is an untapped market. Most of us are using cheap plastic stuff, wires imitating spaghetti, you get the picture. The problem is making it compatable with the type of index system you are using. Hell, I'd take a streamlined friction shifter just to keep my thumbs & fingers & wrist in the optimal position.

I like to put the throttles on the left side as I do not retain the front gearing once a motor is installed and wish to use the rear gears and shifting. Whatever shift grips or levers are stock on the bike can be converted for use as a throttle by hooking up the cable end to a thumb throttle installed remotely. In my case in a rear bag out of the rain. The stop spring, that keeps you in a specific gear can easily be remove from the grip shifters so they are the easist to convert and with a weak return spring are perfect for our needs. Trigger shifters werq also albeit a bit differently as they lock the throttle on at a couple different speeds. It's not that difficult of a mod although you do need a plastic or metal frame inside of the bag so there is something more substantial to install the throttle on.
There are left hand throttles in the twist grip and thumb style available in a couple places on the net if you want something premade. Just Google ebike left hand throttle to find them.

Since you are planning to replace em, just get some trigger shifters. Hunt the ones not in the brake lever if you really want ebrakes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-SL-M310-ALTUS-RAPID-FIRE-3-X-7-SPEED-BLACK-BICYCLE-SHIFTER-SET-/321425386044?pt=US_Shifters&hash=item4ad6722a3c

And if the buttons, pas switches, etc look cheap, leave that crap off the bike. Triggers and a half twist throttle without battery displays or switches look as good as it gets right now.

Back