Argh! Overcharged to 4.5v

Sunder

10 MW
Yep. I put it on my bulk charger, then got invited out to lunch... Lunch took way longer than I expected, and my 12S pack charged to 54v, which is 4.5V per cell.

Anything I can do about it? It didn't ignite or overheat or anything... Just use it till it breaks? Throw it out straight away?

Sunder said:
Yep. I put it on my bulk charger, then got invited out to lunch... Lunch took way longer than I expected, and my 12S pack charged to 54v, which is 4.5V per cell.

Anything I can do about it? It didn't ignite or overheat or anything... Just use it till it breaks? Throw it out straight away?

Start using the pack and draining it down ASAP! You can likely save it, but every minute at that voltage means more damage.

Also before careful about physical trauma to the pack in this extremely over-charged state. They are way more prone to just exploding into flames from physical damage when overcharged.

And buy one of Method's HVC/LVC kits, it's not worth burning your house down or ruining packs just to save a hundred bucks on his HVC/LVC setup.

I agree start draining it right now on whatever will supply an amp load, that's the only chance it will survive and not be a firebomb.

Why was the bulk charger not set to the correct voltage in the first place?

for extra precaution ( what i would do, might not be necessary ), drain it down to 3.8-3.9v/cell and put it in a fireproof container / area outside. if it's going to act up, it'll do it outside..

Thanks, doing that now. Will just put it on the bike and run it full throttle until it drops back to sub 49v.

Pics/video or it didn't happen!

But if you were using an old SLA charger without monitoring your RC Lipo privileges should be revoked..

*whistles innocently*

Hey! I've been using it almost every business day for about 5 weeks now, and this is the first slip up!

Spend $10 and go buy wall timer at Home Dpot to avoid this in the future. That's what I've been meaning to do for almost a year now. I did forget to check it one time, but when I remembered the time, it had just reached full charge. And mine was 14s anyway and the SLA charger only put out 60V, so it wouldn't be that much of an overcharge

Or better, use a charger set to an appropriate voltage.

Happened to me once. 4.54V. I was astouned how long it took to even get down to 4.2V. No damage so it seems. For future, Just use your charger with 6 diodes in series, so you get it to ~50V. And use the timer!

miuan said:
Happened to me once. 4.54V. I was astouned how long it took to even get down to 4.2V. No damage so it seems. For future, Just use your charger with 6 diodes in series, so you get it to ~50V. And use the timer!

I rode all the way home, all power, no pedal, and even went out of my way to make the trip a bit longer... Got home and they were 4.1v. That means there is more energy stored between 4.5v and 4.1v than there is between 4.1v and 3.8... It seems a fair bit more.

I'm sure their life expectancy will be lowered now, but hell, I would never have got my 1000 cycles out of it anyway. Even riding every day (business day) that would have taken me close to 5 years, and I usually cycle between 4.1v and 3.8 anyway, so I think they'll be good for a while.

If not, I'm partway through building a 14S pack anyway :D

Consider those lipos dangerous from now on.

Sure, they'll work for a while, but I would not consider charging them inside again, nor would I use them for a bike with a battery that is permanently installed. You could use em some if you can remove that pack from the bike fast enough. Perfect for an application like my lawnmower, where the batts sit loosely in a plastic box. If they flame, I can just flip the mower and they dump out. So make sure you can seperate the bike and the battery fast if you keep using them. Don't get anywhere near 100% discharged.

Now go pound your head into the desk some more, and get a real charging setup for the next set of batts.

I ruined my batteries the same way, never got to 4.5, but they got to 4.3 a couple of times. Some still work but have 50% capacity, and many have dead cells now. If I rebuild the pack I plan to use one of the bmsbattery chargers (http://www.bmsbattery.com/18-alloy-shell) with reliable voltages, those sla bulk chargers go way over the voltages they are rated for. Mine measured 83v when powered on, but would charge well past that :(

rojitor said:
I guess i will think twice about my bulk charger...

Why? we know the problem - the charger was set to a voltage higher than the pack could accept.
Is yours set that way too???

Still wouldn't put a pile of lipo on charge, on any kind of charger, and leave the building to lunch myself.

Woulda been better at least, if you'd been there to see it go past 4.2v.

Says a lot though, for how much lipo has improved, that the building is still there.

Apparently delamination doesn't occur till about 4.35v, and you can tell how badly it has occurred by doing a few cycles through and seeing how quickly they become unbalanced. Because delamination is a physical process, the chance of it happeninging equally to a cell at the edge of a pack and at the centre is unlikely.

these packs kept close to perfect balance prior to this. if they fall out of balance in the next 3-5 cycles, I will probably throw them out. if they don't, apparently they're still 'safe

Sunder said:
Apparently delamination doesn't occur till about 4.35v, and you can tell how badly it has occurred by doing a few cycles through and seeing how quickly they become unbalanced. Because delamination is a physical process, the chance of it happeninging equally to a cell at the edge of a pack and at the centre is unlikely.

these packs kept close to perfect balance prior to this. if they fall out of balance in the next 3-5 cycles, I will probably throw them out. if they don't, apparently they're still 'safe

Im afraid you got some bad info. Nothing is laminated other than the edges of the foil pouch getting thermal-sealed. The layers just sit next to eachother in a stack, alternating aluminum and copper foil layers coated with the anode and cathode coatings, and the seperator layer wound between them like a fan.

At high voltages, two things happen. The physical volumetric change in the cathode is greater than the structure was designed to intercalate, and it breaks off chunks that no longer have a current path as a result.

The second effect is the decomposition of the solvents through electrolysis. This evolves hydrogen and some other gasses, which cause the cell to inflate (because pouches don't have vents like prismatics or cylindricals). As the pouch inflates with this gas, it takes the clamping load off the layers in the stack, and they develop gaps with gas pockets between them, and since lithium ions and electrons can't move through gas, bur rather only where the liquid solvent is wetting a path, then these areas become inactive, and the internal resistance climbs, lowering the C-rate and reducing capacity (because the areas with gas pockets can't be accessed to store and release charge anymore).

You can largely fix the gassing problem with the pin-prick method pioneered by AussieJester. (NOTE: it could explode in a fireball in your face, or just fix your pack:) Never know)

The damage to the cathode structure is immediate though, and your cells will always have reduced capacity after a major over-charge.

For races where I know I need as much capacity as possible, I choose to over-charge to 4.35 or 4.4v sometimes with my Nano-Tech packs, it makes a 5Ah cell hold over 7Ah, but at the steep cost of taking many hundreds of lifecycles off the cells, and accepting that it will cause a permanent reduction in capacity afterwards.

I'd say just overcharge them to around 10V and whack 'em with a hammer :twisted: Remember to make sure your insurance is paid up and your video camera is running.

liveforphysics said:
Sunder said:

Im afraid you got some bad info. Nothing is laminated other than the edges of the foil pouch getting thermal-sealed. The layers just sit next to eachother in a stack, alternating aluminum and copper foil layers coated with the anode and cathode coatings, and the seperator layer wound between them like a fan.

I think it might just be a language issue. Lamination can be the pressing of two metal layers together. It's not just coating with plastic. So you saying that there's two thin layers of aluminum and copper is to me (and obviously the guy I was reading) a form of lamination. Allowing them to separate by gassing is delamination.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/laminate

I've had several rides now, and no puffing, no loss of performance, no unbalancing, but I'm not quite willing to say "safe" yet. I've bought a timer and made it charge for only 1 hour, which gets it typically to 48v (4.0v per cell)

I looked inside the charger to see if I could lower the voltage, but there's no potentiometers that I can see. Any ideas?

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

Back