Aussie, Brisbane & goldcoast people

oldhaq said:
Hey guys, we all still good for next Sunday 10am?

We going by rough itinerary or as it goes?

I'm keen if weather is good. Note that the following week is rain rain rain rain rain rain rain. Possibly clearing for Sunday.... :( I'd say we need to check back on this thread as the forecasts get more accurate.

Is 10am leave newbs place or arrive there? I will have to charge up there before heading off.

so lets confirm a couple things.

who's in?

starting location?

UQ, Guyatt Park (i live 2 blks from the park which is 1km from UQ), Northshore Riverside Park (the far north end of the river trail), or some place in between?
if you haven't, please pm me if you intend to meet at my place so i know who to expect (currently 5 of us).

starting time?

personally i prefer 11am but if as a group it's decided to be 10am i will make that work

weather?

for me: raining - ride cancelled, expected scattered showers or midday rain - i'll risk it - can always take the citycat back

Edit: Map Link of previously proposed route

Wishful thinking, if I can find a place to charge in either of these parks I would turn off toward home via the Enoggera Bike path. Anyone would be welcome to join me with a recharge at my house.

I am always on a tight schedule... :cry:

This rotunda has power but I can't see it in the 3d view. http://www.bccvirtualtours.com/newstead_moya/qts/area1.html

bcca_f8bbc107.gif

Area 1 has power according to http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/faci...ents/designated-sites/newstead-park/index.htm

Wonder how much it would cost to book it for an hour?

Edit: wholly crap am finally finding what I'm looking for boys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Farm Park is littered with powered areas.

bcca_75ede6c0.gif

Surely one of them will not have a booking! (and hope they cant turn them off if not used...

Attachments

• 17 Newstead Ave, Newstead QLD 4006 to Allom St, Windsor QLD 4030 - Google Maps.png
    17 Newstead Ave, Newstead QLD 4006 to Allom St, Windsor QLD 4030 - Google Maps.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 3,594
I'm in for the next run, bike is not going to go anywhere for the next week or so but I'm certainly keen to ride.

Is there a prize fore the most lycra swatches collected on the day? :D

devorion said:
I'm in for the next run, bike is not going to go anywhere for the next week or so but I'm certainly keen to ride.

if you're keen to ride and as long as you have batteries you can ride one of mine.

where are you located?

newb said:
devorion said:

if you're keen to ride and as long as you have batteries you can ride one of mine.

where are you located?

I'm in Bardon, but my 24s a123 AMP20's aren't coming out of my battery bay without a massive effort and now the girly has arranged things to do on Sunday :(

Thanks for the offer newb, actually been lurking and hoping to catch up with you re: the cromotors and schlumph HSD but wont hijack this thread 8)

MIB said:
Hi Dev

You should get back to work.

I'm in for Sunday, hoping to meet up on bike path out the front of the Regatta Hotel.

Pot, Kettle, Black? :p

devorion said:
I'm in Bardon,)

We should meet up for a local ride sometime (not to hijack the thread) but the more people who come out of the cracks the better.

I'm at the Gap if you missed that point.

Will wave to you as I go past up there on Sunday...

I have a new route to Newbs this time. As we discovered and overpass and then underpass at Lang Park, I will be going straight down the main road through Paddington.

Coming back will suck the amps though.

John Bozi said:
We should meet up for a local ride sometime (not to hijack the thread) but the more people who come out of the cracks the better.

I'm at the Gap if you missed that point.

Will wave to you as I go past up there on Sunday...

I have a new route to Newbs this time. As we discovered and overpass and then underpass at Lang Park, I will be going straight down the main road through Paddington.

Coming back will suck the amps though.

Beware the drivers of Paddington! bike riders disappear there. Always a finger on the brakes through Paddo ;)
It is quite a long climb heading back that way with plenty of stops. I'd certainly be up for a ride about the place, had a look at some of your vids, you look a little like the big bad serial killer from "The Following" http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0700856/ so anyone heading out on Sunday had best watch out for knives :p

Two of us will be on the ride and will be at Guyatt Park around 9.30am.
Looking at the rain situation it looks like This Sunday will be fine with a bit of a tail wind so should be a good day.

Looking forward to seeing you guys.

Group Ride: Sunday July 21st, 2013

Ride Status: ON

Planned Ride: Brisbane River Bike Path

Starting Point/Meeting Place: St Lucia - Guyatt Park, newb's Place or Anywhere Along The Way

Meeting Time: 10am

Ride Duration: Unknown, To Be Determined

Number of Riders: 10+

Although we would have to pay half parking fees I imagine, just stumbled across this:

Electric Car Recharge Station

Recharge your electric car for free in King George Square Car Park. Specially marked bays are located on Level ‘B’ for this free Council service.
Customers can now park their car in the city and recharge in one convenient location. King George Square Car Park is the only car park in the city with this facility which promotes the reduction of CO2 and pollution.

Drivers of full electric and hybrid vehicles park for half the casual parking fee.

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/parking-permits/car-parks/kgs-car-park/index.htm

Motorcycles

5.30am to midnight:

$8 per day or part day
Motorcycles must park in designated spaces.

So hopefully that would mean $4 for an ebike?

20 times the real cost of electricity but interesting if you want to do some shopping and hopefully nobody steals your charger.

I believe if all ebikers in Brisbane wrote emails similar to this we might get some serious action happening - I just posted this to the council on their contact form.

Brisbane City Council
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/
Telephone +61 7 3403 8888

Below is a copy of your message (excluding any attachments):

Location relevant to the issue/request

Letter
I am an electric bicycle rider and need a place to recharge my bicycle in the city for about 1 hour to get 10 amp hours maximum. The cost of electricity would be about 20 cents maximum.

I note that you have

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/parking-permits/car-parks/kgs-car-park/index.htm

"Recharge your electric car for free in King George Square Car Park. Specially marked bays are located on Level ‘B’ for this free Council service.
Customers can now park their car in the city and recharge in one convenient location. King George Square Car Park is the only car park in the city with this facility which promotes the reduction of CO2 and pollution."

I believe that we shouldn't need to pay car or motor bike fees to park for an hour to promote green transport.

Is there anyway, place where we could be allowed to recharge near the city? I would be happy to pay up to $2 for the service even though it would cost you much less. Ebikers just need a powerpoint for up to an hour only.

Can we go to say under the story bridge or new farm park or newstead park and use the powerpoints for an hour and if we have to pay a gold coin? or just go to the carpark above and do the same.

Thanks for your time and I believe this is the way to the future.

JB

Perfect weather guys! woohoo, no rain and nice cool sweatless 15-21 degree weather...

If everyone is up for it, wondering if instead of just riding from start to finish along the river we do a bit of investigation.
I am proposing a detour across to south bank to storey bridge and then back to the original river route and a bit of ride around new farm park and then onto newstead etc.

I read a comment on a
http://wikimapia.org/24163/South-Bank-Parklands
anonymous (guest) wrote 5 years ago
thanks southbank parklands, keep an eye out along the clem jones promenade for electric powerpoints, perfect for recharging your electric bicycle

029876.jpg

bcca_75ede6c0.gif

bcca_f8bbc107.gif

Anyway we can discuss this in person.

I might even do the promenade before 10 to see...

I would call today a success boys, great to meet you all, names here on ES I have forgotten even if you have told me, sorry, but I am happy to do it again, I am keen on fortnightly meet ups or monthly whatever.

I couldn't be bothered dropping all photos here - here are the bikes:

https://www.facebook.com/johnbozi/posts/10151828784714845

I will make some video in time.

cheers.

Yeah, that was a great day, was good to see everyone and check out the bikes.
That was an excellent spot to find power outlets, nice view and all.
Looking forward already to the next meet.

A great day was had for what is believed to be the first Brisbane electric bicycle get together, good to meet all of you and finally put a face to the forum names. Put me down for any future rides or events and good to see how the ride was very pedestrian & normally aspirated bike friendly. We put out a good vibe as we pass groups of people and I noticed plenty of smile once they realized we were electric, this can only be a good thing as we expose the public to electric bikes ridden in a sensible way. More than anything if we display electric bikes like this we chip away as the ignorance or lack of knowledge.

Here are some photos of the day.

Attachments

• WP_002464.jpg
    WP_002464.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 2,101
  • WP_002465.jpg
    WP_002465.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 2,101
  • WP_002469.jpg
    WP_002469.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 2,101
  • WP_002473.jpg
    WP_002473.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 2,101
  • WP_002472.jpg
    WP_002472.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 3,377
Here are some more photos of the enjoyable day.

Attachments

• checking out ebikes.JPG
    checking out ebikes.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 3,334
  • Guyatt Park 2.JPG
    Guyatt Park 2.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 3,334
  • just after crossing Story Bridge.JPG
    just after crossing Story Bridge.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 3,334
  • Newstead Park1.JPG
    Newstead Park1.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 3,334
Where's the bloody Lycra?

dam I look like a space teletubby.

Oh Newb asked for proposals. I think I have before, but offer again if interested, a start point of Downey park. All bike paths along Enoggerra creek which is the same creek that joined at the rotunda into the brisbane river at newstead, all the way to the Gap, along the way there are some dirt jumps you can just go over at whatever aggression you like, tons of parks to fly off into to test your open speeds, and you can recharge at my house.

From there we have the options for the ones that are fine with some big hills to head out up the mountains, where again you have the option of taking either a single track, fire trail or road down to a BBQ area which is at the base of the largest mountain biking park in Brisbane.

From there we can go back to mine recharge again and ride back to Downey Park.

A suggestion as well is that we could buy some groceries at the shops which are on the bike paths and either have a simple bbq hotdog style or some basic sandwiches somewhere up the mountains.

Personally my favorite part of the ride is coming down from the mountains, bit of E and peddling required up but down let gravity do it. This is the ride down.

[youtube]ojgTiRCiuPI[/youtube]

This some single track I did, you could try down if your up for it (I'm not on my ebike).

[youtube]BrKt-vjbeoE[/youtube]

This is some lame tricks course next to BBQ area at the base for a laugh.

[youtube]EORPBi_Zljo[/youtube]

and the firetrails on my ebike with urban tyres, bit fish taily, but nice change for fun

[youtube]HhGDOb3lXXw[/youtube]

The ride to Downey Park from the Gap I have posted before.

Anyway thats my idea Im happy to do anything I can get to and recharge to as I have no car to fit my bike in.

Gday guys was good meeting you all and you couldn't ask for a better day . The link for the kick stand i had on my bike i know some of you ask me about it . http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190769746934?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649.. i think he has them still ! It's been a while .

I'll probably end up doing a short edit of all the more interesting bits, only recorded from Hyutt Park to NEwstead. about an hour riding...

[youtube]U7rd3a5T2cQ[/youtube]
[youtube]pdBh1t3i89c[/youtube]
[youtube]Xal73tvOnss[/youtube]
More soon

Back