• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Aussie Role Call

thewmatusmoloki

Mate I will be married in 15 weeks 3 days and 5 hours which is what my future bride keeps reminding me of each day, hour & minute. Like I knew the tap would be turned off after we do the deed, but it's been turned off for a few weeks now.

Ouch - that sucks. I didn't find marriage was the problem, tap was fine then, it was kids. The opportunities decrease, especially when they wont SLEEP.

You do find though that you can hold out longer than she can, annoys women A LOT when you shift the power balance in this fashion :) You have to learn to play the game ~ all in good fun though :)

Hardcarve1 said:
thewmatusmoloki

Mate I will be married in 15 weeks 3 days and 5 hours .

As i see it you either have either 15weeks 3 days and 5 hours of freedom left OR 15weeks 3 days
and 5 hours to plan your disappearance :D

My condolences on the up and coming nuptials :mrgreen:

KiM

Thanks for the condolences Kim.
They sooth the pain, need to get these hall sensors fitted so I can do my getaway and ride off into the distance to the next charging station.

Hardcarve1 said:
They sooth the pain, need to get these hall sensors fitted so I can do my getaway and ride off into the distance to the next charging station.

Either that or start building a backyard shed with a cellar and stock up on beer to 'escape' the ball and chain. :mrgreen:

I was married once...didn't care for it much, thankfully she wasn't an Aussie biatch and hadn't heard that the way to stop a wiminez having sex was to marry them :p She was from The Netherlands, blonde haoir blue eyes 5 foot tall and 45kilo had to jump around in the shower to get wet...still prefer the single life more $$$ to spend on ME not hair, make up dresses and shoes like Hyena has to these days and you Hardcarve1 will in ~15 weeks time hehehe :mrgreen:

KiM

G'day fellow Aussies

I'm a newbie so please be kind. I'm not sure this is the right thread for a spot of advice, but given there appears to be some Sydney dwellers lurking here, I think local advice would be the best.

I commute from the upper north shore (Turramurra) to the city, which involves some steep hills on Kissing Point Road from Browns Waterhole. This particular stretch of road is a bit of my Nemesis on the way home. My route into the city is approx. 34km each way. I tend to ride my road bike but I'm down to one day a week at the moment coz the hills are killing my knees.

So I want to convert a hardtail MTB into a e-bike. The parameters are:
  • Got to be able cope with hills
  • Got to be able handle to the 34km distance
  • No too worried about complying with the 200W limit
  • Want to try and average 30km/h

So what do you guys think?
Geared hub?
Non Geared Front hub?
E-Lation Gear Drive?

Where's the best place to pick up stuff like battery packs, hub motors etc in the Sydney area?

If your wanting a frock motor geared or direct and need some help sourcing them local Hyena is in your neck of the woods incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. You say your not to fussed to stick with 2oo watt which is IMHO sensible...what sort of $$$ budget you have will be the major factor in your setup, perhaps give us an indication of what you want to spend and memebers will better be able to help...If you were to stick with 200watt i would recommend a non-frock setup (would recommend one anywayz TBH thats just my preference but its not always suitable to all) simply because you can run through the gearing of the bike and get more useable power. Frock motors at best are poor on hills unless geared or running higher voltage. Geared frocks tend to be a lil slower top end.

PM Hyena see what he suggests locally hes in the know :)

KiM

Thanks for the quick feedback..... 'Jester you're right budget very important factor... hmmm $1000 seems to be a start...... probably more with the battery ?

PS I know it's a really newbie thing to say but "frock"? Can you let me know what that means?

daygon said:
Thanks for the quick feedback..... 'Jester you're right budget very important factor... hmmm $1000 seems to be a start...... probably more with the battery ?

PS I know it's a really newbie thing to say but "frock"? Can you let me know what that means?

You will prolly do it on a grand but the range might be a bit lower than you would like unless you use Lithium Polymer (not usually recommended for the newbies...unless you have dealt with this chemistry before?)

HAHA..for definition of the 'frock motor' Something i came up with while back, the link explains it all... :)

Best of luck buddy

KiM

Hi,
I'm an e-bike newbie living on Brisbane south side.
Keen to learn and this is definitely a great site for it!

G'day all, new too e biking but not biking, converted my old giant ds2 a couple of months back, bumped into 1000w Matt who noticed my bike at the post office, probably picking up ebay items like myself who put me on to this site and i'm learning heaps, currently riding a 500w front hub and still on those heavy batteries and living in Bayswater Perth and a river ride sounds good cause i'm there all the time anyway

Cheers Mark

k, i am just getting into my second setup after the first failed, no more hub moteors for me. so im just waiting delivery on this kithttp://www.edealsbargains.com.au/data/storage/attachments/2255e7814c6097393acbf49ef35b6c63.jpg/img] if that works?.
i live in the middle of nsw, and im getting into ebikes as they are cheaper than gophers. that^(if the pic worked) will be going onto a 3 speed glint tricycle. batteries arrived yestie, motor should be here tuesday, so allowing for sorting the chain and getting a new gear cable along with trying to make it pretty much solid before riding it might be finished the weekend after.
i have to say this forum has been a great help :D

you missed the --> "[" bracket at the end of the url of your image buddy needs to be like [/img] <--that you have it /img] <- like that
its a ting pic either way hard to make out. By the url though i see you chose the 500watt?

dd404b45545ae7e88943267aac81e034.jpg

Best of luck fitting it up...in future might want to check Cyclone taiwan for Cyclone kits to save
yourself some $$$ :)

KiM

i knew about the main site for cyclone :) , but because i am buying it with an interest free loan( church based) i needed to source it within australia, otherwise they wouldnt pay it. im on a pension with 2 teen boys so saving money to buy things is impossible in my househould :roll: soon as they found out i was getting a loan they planned how it was going to be spent lol, dad 1 boys 0 this time.
thanks for the pointer though, and the tip about pics.

daddz said:
im on a pension with 2 teen boys so saving money to buy things is impossible in my househould

Yup i'm in the same boat on a disability pension myself, my son is 21 and looks after himself thankfully haha

KiM

Gregory said:
Bibbulmun Track is only for walkers, but cyclists have the Munda Biddi trail which is similar, starting at Mundaring (I highly recommend it - shelters every 35km). I might make ebiking down this a personal goal. http://www.mundabiddi.org.au

OK, I've just booked a week's leave in September. Couldn't decide between Broome or tropical QLD so I've booked a flight to Perth. My plan, such as it is, is to ebike part/all of the Mundaring - Collie section of the Munda Biddi. My legs & available charge points will dictate the final schedule. I've ordered maps to do some more detailed planning over the next week or so. Any other Aussies keen on having a crack at this?

My first hurdle is getting batteries to WA as I've just discovered they're not permitted on the flight (>160Wh). Will look at Aust. Post/courier & if this is out will try to hire or buy something when I get there. Planning on having 1 x 10aH & 1 x 14aH batt. which should give me decent range. On bituman I could go 120km with this but not sure how it will translate on the trail. Next big question is should I stick to my hybrid or buy another motor & convert my MTB...

If anyone in Perth has any experience on the trail I'd like to hear your thoughts....

If you get time try to head out towards dwellingup oh I think the munda biddi might cover it, went on the comp. mtb track there and the down hill, mighty big fun, the cross country track crossed the river about 8 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dINnOBpMY34&feature=related

Hi Timbo,
This is a great time to be out in the bush, I spent last weekend doing a 24hr Rogaine at Dwellingup and it was great.
But I'd still rather be in FNQ! Nights were cold.

I've ridden the Mundaring to Jarrahdale section (pedaling) over 3 days, was pretty easy going mostly, Some hills around the dams (Mundaring and Canning) as you climb up out of river valleys. But also many flat or smooth sections that won't burn up too many W/hrs.

A hybrid would be doable, many of the tracks are old dirt logging roads, old railway formations (dead flat), and only very little dedicated single track - nothing hardcore.

You would want knobblie tyres though. Of course a MTB would be better.
Panniers would be good for holding food, clothing, spares and batteries.

You're cutting it fine if you are taking Sept leave and still thinking about battery and bike configurations. I would think about joining you but I'd need to double my battery pack ( or drop back to 48V? Maybe I could go......). I hope you do it, it will be fun.

I grabbed some GPS co-ordinates of the Munda Biddi ride off the web and overlayed them onto google maps.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=111445997453799202859.00046d656def8c5d3e801

The two main stops on this first section are Jarrahdale (90km) then Dwellingup (90km) - approx a third of the way each, then 140km to Collie. There some small shops and B&B's, camping, caravan parks at Dwellingup. But if you stay in towns at night (to recharge) you miss the experience of sleeping out in the shelters which are great. There are no other reliable recharge options unless you leave the track and ride into a town.

How do you plan to get back from Collie to Perth? There are coaches, not sure about taking bikes on them. Could ride to Bunbury and train from Bunbury to Perth?

If there's anything I can do to help just ask.
I'm interested to hear your plan, how far you think you can go in a day on e-power etc.
Maybe best to start a new thread, link it to here.

Greg

dingotookmybaby said:
If you get time try to head out towards dwellingup oh I think the munda biddi might cover it, went on the comp. mtb track there and the down hill, mighty big fun, the cross country track crossed the river about 8 times

Well now, that looks like a lot of fun! I hope those trails aren't part of the Munda Biddi though - looks like too much of a challenge for my ebike. :shock:

Gregory said:
Hi Timbo,

I've ridden the Mundaring to Jarrahdale section (pedaling) over 3 days, was pretty easy going mostly, Some hills around the dams (Mundaring and Canning) as you climb up out of river valleys. But also many flat or smooth sections that won't burn up too many W/hrs. A hybrid would be doable, many of the tracks are old dirt logging roads, old railway formations (dead flat), and only very little dedicated single track - nothing hardcore. You would want knobblie tyres though. Of course a MTB would be better. Panniers would be good for holding food, clothing, spares and batteries. You're cutting it fine if you are taking Sept leave and still thinking about battery and bike configurations. I would think about joining you but I'd need to double my battery pack ( or drop back to 48V? Maybe I could go......). I hope you do it, it will be fun. I grabbed some GPS co-ordinates of the Munda Biddi ride off the web and overlayed them onto google maps.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=111445997453799202859.00046d656def8c5d3e801
The two main stops on this first section are Jarrahdale (90km) then Dwellingup (90km) - approx a third of the way each, then 140km to Collie. There some small shops and B&B's, camping, caravan parks at Dwellingup. But if you stay in towns at night (to recharge) you miss the experience of sleeping out in the shelters which are great. There are no other reliable recharge options unless you leave the track and ride into a town. How do you plan to get back from Collie to Perth? There are coaches, not sure about taking bikes on them. Could ride to Bunbury and train from Bunbury to Perth? If there's anything I can do to help just ask. I'm interested to hear your plan, how far you think you can go in a day on e-power etc. Maybe best to start a new thread, link it to here.
Greg

Thanks for all the info Greg - local knowledge is good to have.
I would definately have knobbies - thinking about Continental Cyclecross Plus. Already have good rear panniers, but may need some up front by the time extra batt, charger and clothing go into the mix. Camping would be my choice, but the need to recharge rules this out so would need to head to town o/night. The only plus to this is the reduced weight of camping & cooking gear. There would need to be some pretty big days on the trail though. Mandarrung to Jarradale and then another big push to Dwellingup. From there I'm hoping it might be possible to head off the trail towards Harvey & then back in for the final leg to Collie.

The bus from Collie will take bikes, but needs to be booked ahead. Could also do Bunbury - Perth on the train as an alternative.

I went for a ride today with the CA hooked up and the results were encouraging. I did a (just shy of) 60km return trip on the Warburton rail trail with my 10Ah batt. The trail is pretty much gravel all the way save for about 4km of asphalt near Warburton. Being a rail trail it's pretty flat, but some long slow gradients. All the uphill sections seemed to be on the way home!

At 46km the low voltage cut-out tripped, however, I managed to nurse the bike under some power the extra 12km back to the car. Cutout tripped a couple of times more, but I was surprised how it just hung in there until the end. Up to the 46km mark my average speed was around 25 km/h, but this dropped back to 21 by the end - my legs were doing most of the work on the home run.

CA numbers:
7.05 Ah, 4.4 Wh/km, Vmin 32.2, Amax 15.24, 2 hour 40 mins.

Thanks for the offer of help. If this comes together it will be good a have a contact.. I'll post again in a couple of days & if I've sorted the batt problem will start a new thread then.

T

Timbo said:
Well now, that looks like a lot of fun! I hope those trails aren't part of the Munda Biddi though - looks like too much of a challenge for my ebike. :shock:
dingotookmybaby said:

I wasn't on that one, looks a bit dangerous with those pines but that area is beautiful and full of nice tracks

Looks like it's not going to come together. Cost of getting my batts to Perth & back by courier $250 :shock: plus exess baggage for the bike etc will all add up to make it an unviable proposition.

I might just hire an MTB when I get there & do a day trip or overnight on a section of trail.

One day, when I have more time, I'll drive across with bike and batts and do this for sure. Maybe by then the trail will have been opened up all the way to Albany. That would be epic!

Timbo said:
One day, when I have more time, I'll drive across with bike and batts and do this for sure. Maybe by then the trail will have been opened up all the way to Albany. That would be epic!

It certainly will be Timbo, one day I'll have a bike to do it too, maybe my giant ds2 which ive taken on many hills track inc, dwellingup comp. d/hill and one lap of the cross country(unassisted), but in tough times for me money is scarce but it will happen

Back