Bafang 8fun (new) problems and solution

Sal

10 µW
Son in Law hasn't a license due to disability. So... for Christmas thought I'd rig him a simple 24V ebike. I've laced in the BaFang 8fun rear motor with their 24V controller, ordered separately, from elife, plus a 24V Ping batt:
http://www.elifebike.com/peng/iview.asp?KeyID=dtpic-2011-7X-M6KK.52SRH
There's a backup controller and 8fun motor. Neither show any life. The batt tests at 26V and there's a soft pop when connecting the Andersons. I've tried plugging a pair of blue/red wires together and have tried connecting the blue/switch the other 2 motor wires. What's the trick for a Basic bafang 8fun start up?

To my chagrin, daughter couldn't get Christmas off and they're here for Thanksgiving only. Be niffy if I could get it running and send it with them when they return to Oklahoma.

Attachments

• Bafang8fun (640x480).jpg
    Bafang8fun (640x480).jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,757
Sal said:
Son in Law hasn't a license due to disability. So... for Christmas thought I'd rig him a simple 24V ebike. I've laced in the BaFang 8fun rear motor with their 24V controller, ordered separately, from elife, plus a 24V Ping batt:
http://www.elifebike.com/peng/iview.asp?KeyID=dtpic-2011-7X-M6KK.52SRH
There's a backup controller and 8fun motor. Neither show any life. The batt tests at 26V and there's a soft pop when connecting the Andersons. I've tried plugging a pair of blue/red wires together and have tried connecting the blue/switch the other 2 motor wires. What's the trick for a Basic bafang 8fun start up?

To my chagrin, daughter couldn't get Christmas off and they're here for Thanksgiving only. Be niffy if I could get it running and send it back when they return to Oklahoma.

Hay Sal! First things first......please do this.

Ok, now that is done. Lets see what we can do.....from you picture I can see two things you should do.

1: your phase wires are not connected properly. (They are the fat wires coming out of your controller.)
They need to be blue to blue, green to green, and yellow to yellow.

2: disconect the blue/white and purple wires. Those are (probably) your cruse control and speed limiter connectors. (If you want to connect them later, they go blue/white to blue/white and purple to purple.)

Make sure you battery is fully charged. This may take hours, maybe over night depending on your charger amperage.

Once the wires are changed and the battery charged try it again.

Also, give us a clear close up shot of the label on your controller. We need to research it to see if you got the one that will work with a 24v battery.

I went to the link you sent and it led to a 36v system. We need to know that your components are compatible. The only way to know for sure is if we can research the model of your controller.

:D

Think I got some more info. for ya. The phase wires have been tried bl:bl, gr:gr, yl:yl and then also bl:bl, with other 2 switched. What beach-e may see as purple are actually pink, may supposed to be red wires. The label on the controller barely printed, it's a 24V with low voltage cutoff of 21V (Undervoltage 21V it says) 250W, 10A. The Ping batt gives 26-27V readings. One new 8fun motor is laced into its' 20" rim, the other in the pic is also new. I have another 24V controller. No success with either set up.

Attachments

• Bafang2.JPG
    Bafang2.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,727
With an incorrect phase hall combo the motor will usually twitch or rumble some if it is getting power.
If it is doing nothing then maybe the controller is not powered up? Maybe check for 5 volts to the throttle?

That is correct. That controller has a version that uses a display with an off/on switch. The non-display version is made to have the red/orange switched.

Just don't try to throttle up the motor without it mounted in the bike properly. Or, you will twist the wires all t' sunder!!!!

Also, check that your red stop button on your throttle is not pressed in or set to stop.

:D

UGH! So close, we thought we had an e-bike with the orange/red wire shorted together. Seemed to spin really slow, tried phase wire combos g:g, y:y, & b:b then b:b switch other 2, then g:g switch the other 2, then y:y switch the others. slow spins, reverse spins, 1 stutter spin. Put everything together, organized wiring, tried it out, it barely chugs up a gentle 3% incline 'bout walking speed, but hits maybe 7mph returning down the slope. (Lastly B:g G:y Y:b and B:y G:b Y:g)

Working on motor phase wire combos.

Did you dis-correct the speed limiter wires?
Blue w/wht trace, i Think.

After trying all 12 wiring combos carefully twice;

motomech said:
Did you dis-correct the speed limiter wires?
Blue w/wht trace, i Think.

What the ??? Speed limiter wires??? No, I think they were unplugged, then had 'em plugged in later when I got the system to whurrr a bit.

SUCCESS! Had a short or open in the charger, took a while to figure out the wiring required the throttle to have an "on" condition (?why), and lastly to disconnect a pair of white speed limiter wires (again, ?why). I had (think) an old crystalyte 406 years back, loved it for 1000s of miles of cruising the country, usually outrunning dogs with poor attitudes (a few got a taste of bear mace). Remember just lacing in the motor, reusing the 7speed freewheel, pluggin' the controller, battery, and throttle; all ready to roll. These furry wire packed controllers aren't necessary for my needs, can turn the throttle when I want more motor or just pedal. Simple is best.

Thanks to those that guided me to sorting out the wiring to get a neat functional e-bike. Later this week, it'll quit raining and I'll post a foto and give 'ya top speed for the 24V 8fun. Gonna be a great bike to make a mail run to the box 250 yds up the way for a month or so. Then truck it over to the Son-in-law a few states over. Big thanks Endless -sphere :D

BrianBike.JPGAs promised here's the bike; 11 mph expected top speed, unexpected sluggish pulling power. Just enough to pull up the gentle driveway. If I pedal say from 3mph up to 9mph, it'll hold the speed. Without pedaling, it won't hit over 5mph up this slope.
MailBike.JPG

I'll make time to deliver to the son-n-law in the coming weeks. Think it'll give him new mobility!

I'm afraid you are going to have to up the power to get any speed outta that bike. Little wheels plus 24 volts will be slow. 36 volts will make a big difference.
otherDoc

Back