• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Bafang BBS01 clicking sound when start pedaling

matte2k

10 mW
I have a problem with a clicking sound when the motor is on and i start pedaling. There is no click sound when the motor is off. So its not the Lower bracketBut when its on the click comes in the beginning of the push. With sligthest force to make the pedals turn the click comes, Afterward there is no clicking sound. But IF you stop pushing and then start agin the click comes. you will hear the click after 3 seconds in the video. the other clicks are normal....

https://vimeo.com/167266909

matte2k said:
I have a problem with a clicking sound when the motor is on and i start pedaling. There is no click sound when the motor is off. So its not the Lower bracketBut when its on the click comes in the beginning of the push. With sligthest force to make the pedals turn the click comes, Afterward there is no clicking sound. But IF you stop pushing and then start agin the click comes. you will hear the click after 3 seconds in the video. the other clicks are normal....

https://vimeo.com/167266909

Just sounds like the pawls in the one way bearing clicking as they disengage. The ones on my BBS02 are quite loud, but I'm used to it now after 2000 miles.

Just sounds like the pawls in the one way bearing clicking as they disengage. The ones on my BBS02 are quite loud, but I'm used to it now after 2000 miles

The sound started for me after about 100 miles, some friends of mine have done more than 1000 miles and they do not have a click yet... no problem to get used to it, I am just afraid that I have broken something and it could get even worse?

If the click only happens once every time the motor power is cut, then I wouldn't worry about it.
As I mentioned, mine is really loud and has done it from new. These are Chinese made after all, and there is probably different tolerances with each unit. Some will be louder than others.
If it works as it should, then I wouldn't bother opening it up.

If it ever comes to it, they are easy enough to open up and replace parts.

It's likely to relate to the operation (or not) of the pawls. No way to really know for sure without disassembling till the point the noise is not made....

Back