• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Bafang BBS02 PAS not working

j1k2

1 µW
I have a Bafang BBS02 with the C963 display on my Specialized Stumpjumper.

It's pretty much stock except that I reprogrammed the controller following the guide in electricbike-blog.com so that PAS1 = 15% (no speed limit), PAS2 = 20%, etc. And of course, I can use the throttle at any time.

I've been enjoying it for over 2 years and 4300 km. But recently, the PAS stopped working - it's not sensing the rotation of the pedals at all, and so it doesn't turn on the motor when I pedal.

It's not the brake sensors, because the throttle still works just fine. But of course I prefer the automatic switching that the pedal sensor provides.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any clues?

I don't even know where the pedal sensors may be - I presume they're Hall effect sensors that sense a magnet?

Thanks for any help!

Jim

When the PAS on one of my BBSHDs began to fail intermittently it was a fault in the controller and was fixed by replacing the controller under warranty. I replaced it once it stopped working completely, even on throttle alone. It took about a week to go from an occasional PAS glitch to total failure.

It's worth a try unscrewing the controller and making sure the connectors are seated firmly. It can be screwed on tight, so be sure to use a decent tool to do the job.

alfantastic said:
It's worth a try unscrewing the controller and making sure the connectors are seated firmly. It can be screwed on tight, so be sure to use a decent tool to do the job.

Yes, I had to try a couple Allen wrenches until I found one that fit very tight with no slop. There seems to be a 5mm and 5.5 mm allen head so make sure you have a perfect fit before applying any force to break those bolts loose. Before you start, tapping the bolts with a hammer-drift isn't a bad idea either.

Take a look under the controller to see PAS connector. Moisture can also get in there from 2 of 3 bolt holes.

I suffered a funky controller that started throwing Err 30 and dropping battery icon. New controller solved it.

http://www.greenbikekit.com/bbs01b-bbs02b-pas-circuit-for-replacement.html

Back