Bafang BBSHD, will it get updated anytime soon?

Matze_Senpai

100 W
Alright, so here's the thing;

im wanting to buy a bafang bbshd conversion kit, however ive noticed that this drive is out since 2016 which is like since forever in the tech world right?

so what i want to know is: does anyone have any information on whether bafang is gonna update their mid drives any time soon? i saw they brought out a updated version but it was locked to a battery and i guess they removed it from the market now.

so what do you guys think? should i just get a bbshd now or is it possible that bafang brings out some major updates ?

what i want to have;
cables that plug in the motor directly. i dont like the fact that current mid drives have fixed cables, any damaged would require soldering and this would eliminate the issue. also cables should be available in multiple lengths not like the super long one u get right now

the controller should be 35a to 40a and should have Bluetooth connectivity.

it should have a smart controller so that you dont need brake sensors. like for example the drive should automatically detect when you brake . the same on the speed sensor. nobody wants to put a magnet on the spokes with some annoying sensor attached to it. come on bafang, its 2022 we almost have self driving cars, so im sure u can get this done.

the cranks should not be square taper but isis(but their other drives already have this upgrade so i assume this will happen)

the display and throttle could be wireless BUT this should just be optional (this would eliminate the need for cable routing to the front)

so let me hear your thoughts

Matze_Senpai said:
Alright, so here's the thing;

im wanting to buy a bafang bbshd conversion kit, however ive noticed that this drive is out since 2016 which is like since forever in the tech world right?

so what i want to know is: does anyone have any information on whether bafang is gonna update their mid drives any time soon? i saw they brought out a updated version but it was locked to a battery and i guess they removed it from the market now.

so what do you guys think? should i just get a bbshd now or is it possible that bafang brings out some major updates ?

what i want to have;
cables that plug in the motor directly. i dont like the fact that current mid drives have fixed cables, any damaged would require soldering and this would eliminate the issue. also cables should be available in multiple lengths not like the super long one u get right now

the controller should be 35a to 40a and should have Bluetooth connectivity.

it should have a smart controller so that you dont need brake sensors. like for example the drive should automatically detect when you brake . the same on the speed sensor. nobody wants to put a magnet on the spokes with some annoying sensor attached to it. come on bafang, its 2022 we almost have self driving cars, so im sure u can get this done.

the cranks should not be square taper but isis(but their other drives already have this upgrade so i assume this will happen)

the display and throttle could be wireless BUT this should just be optional (this would eliminate the need for cable routing to the front)

so let me hear your thoughts

Bafang may be going in the opposite direction. I think people are buying the last of the BBSHDs because the M625 has locked down some of the features.
https://www.amazon.com/BAFANG-Electric-Conversion-Battery-Bluetooth/dp/B099RXKS94/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1DDRRXRXYS2NT&keywords=m625+1000w&qid=1667679943&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=m625+1000w%2Csporting%2C135&sr=1-3

Bafang is slowly signing more bike manufacturers into agreements to use their proprietary drives that are "built in" from the factory. As much as they are pleased with the success of the BBSHD, they don't want to improve it so much that customers are less likely to buy a factory ebike with a Bafang drive.

One thing that they got right on the BBSHD is the physical size, plus it uses interior permanent magnets (IPM), instead of surface-mount magnets, which was common twenty years ago.

There may be something newer, but...the Bafang Ultra Max has torque-sensing, and since the drive is mated to an aluminum shell that is part of the aluminum frame, the frame of the bikes ends up being a "heat sink" for the motor.

https://www.electricbike.com/bafang-ultra-max/

Ultra2.png

999zip999 said:
Tell me more of the M625 setup. Please.

Seems like something you want to change the controller on right away. From what I've seen, it requires using a proprietary battery.

There's several YouTube videos out there https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u76ZYn54A4

Thanks that video makes it look like ****. For the money. I got a cyc pro;2 with a BAC 855 BT controller that might have bricked up. And may have to send back to Taiwan. Long sad story.

Thanks that video makes it look like ****. For the money.bI got a cyc pro;2 with a BT 855 BT controller that might have bricked up. And may have to send back to Taiwan. Long sad story.
Please delete Mods.

The BBSHD had at least 1 major improvement and a few clusterfucks since 2016. A weak motor shaft and a couple of wonky firmware nightmares… All finally fixed.

Matze_Senpai said:
.... and should have Bluetooth connectivity
Your assumption that everyone has a smart-ass phone is invalid.
Matze_Senpai said:
the display and throttle could be wireless BUT this should just be optional
The advantages of a wired systems is a single power source and better reliability. There was a incident last year where I got tired of hearing a car alarm going off and went outside to determine the source of the useless racket. A neighbor had her children lined up to be dropped off at school but could not get into her car. The battery in her key-fob was dead. Fortunately I had spare CR203 cells on hand.

LewTwo said:
Matze_Senpai said:
.... and should have Bluetooth connectivity
Your assumption that everyone has a smart-ass phone is invalid.
Matze_Senpai said:
the display and throttle could be wireless BUT this should just be optional
The advantages of a wired systems is a single power source and better reliability. There was a incident last year where I got tired of hearing a car alarm going off and went outside to determine the source of the useless racket. A neighbor had her children lined up to be dropped off at school but could not get into her car. The battery in her key-fob was dead. Fortunately I had spare CR203 cells on hand.

I mean the percentage of adults in America that owned a smart phone in 2021 was 85%, not to mention just because it has bluetooth doesn't mean you would need one. Could also use a pc or just not use bluetooth at all. Seems like it would be a nice feature to have for most users. A wireless dash doesn't really seem to have much of a benefit in my opinion, I wouldn't trust the throttle and you are saving what 1 wire? To much of a hassle and risk.

Bengy22 said:
I mean the percentage of adults in America that owned a smart phone in 2021 was 85%, ...
https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/fact-sheet/mobile/

I am one of the of the 15% (29% in my age group). My reasons are reliability and size. The buttons on my flip-phone work even in bright sunlight when you can not see what is on the screen because of the glare. Though I will acknowledge they are getting harder to come by.

Back