Bafang BBSxx - fault finding and fixes

WOW! WTF is with BTN! All are the same? 01 and 02, you might get either?

"2. What is the difference of BBS-01 motor and BBS-02 motor?

Answer: 36V and 48V all BBS motor , there is no differnce and all with PAS sensor, BAFANG/8FUN sometimes make a lable with BBS-01 and sometimes make a lable with BBS-02, if you don't accept, please don't place order.

Wow!
Thanks all for your kind and not least helpful responses.
The seller has responded, willing to send spares without covering cost of shipping... Since I live in Northern Europe, the freight costs may be frightening.
Wish we could have access to the likes of your well structured system of dealers in the US, Europe is sorely lagging behind.
I will compose a mail to Bafang in English and Mandarin to see what they feel, and start stripping the motor down sectionally, testing for wear as I go.

Will attempt to get back on the forum with an update after work, everything seems to be breaking simultaneously this week!
All the best

Hi

I have been using my BBs02 for 5 months or so now and done 1800 miles on my commute. The unit is the 48V 750W with a frame type battery pack and has been faultless and driven really well up until this Monday.

I turned it on in the morning and as soon as I increased the assistance level I got an error 12 on the display. I restarted a few times and reseated the battery and after about 5 goes the assistance changed as per normal. I started my ride and the thing took off with what seemed like loads more power than usual, ran for 400 or so yards and the battery level in the 965 display fell dramatically until the bike stopped with the battery level flashing empty. I pressed the battery indicator on the case and it showed as full less one bar. Went home and plugged it in to the charger and as expected the charger went from red to green within 10 minutes. Every time I reattach the battery now it comes up as full and then within minutes of riding or even lifting the back wheel and running the throttle the power display falls until it flashes, bike stops but the battery case indicator still reads nearly full. I did a quick voltage reading from the outputs on the battery case and it read ~54v both before and after riding the bike to standstill.

I have tried disconnecting the brakes and throttle etc and cleaning the contacts but still the same issue. The error 12 has only reappeared once again during the time i've been 'testing' the bike. Any ideas as to how to proceed most welcome.

thanks

Simon

I'm assuming you have the three button type. According to the manual on em3evs website, it is a current sensor error. You can see this yourself here:http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=50_45&product_id=187 in the manual.

If you've checked all the connections, it would be time to take a few photos and contact the supplier to fix under warranty.

Supafly said:
Wow!
Thanks all for your kind and not least helpful responses.
The seller has responded, willing to send spares without covering cost of shipping... Since I live in Northern Europe, the freight costs may be frightening.
Wish we could have access to the likes of your well structured system of dealers in the US, Europe is sorely lagging behind.
I will compose a mail to Bafang in English and Mandarin to see what they feel, and start stripping the motor down sectionally, testing for wear as I go.

Will attempt to get back on the forum with an update after work, everything seems to be breaking simultaneously this week!
All the best
Based on experiences with two others, I'd still see what bafang will do. In my mind this is a new motor and should be replaced.

Let me know if you need the email addresses to Bafang. I am one of those who were successful with contacting the manufacturer (after many problems with the motor) and getting a new motor.

Lurkin said:
I'm assuming you have the three button type. According to the manual on em3evs website, it is a current sensor error. You can see this yourself here:http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=50_45&product_id=187 in the manual.

If you've checked all the connections, it would be time to take a few photos and contact the supplier to fix under warranty.

I do have the 3 button type. I heard back from the supplier today who suggests replacing the controller which they will send me. Is that a likely fix for this type of error do you think?

Thanks

I'm not totally certain, but probably. In any case, swapping it isn't difficult, just be careful with the wiring. If it's not, you get a free controller and go back for more.

Hi folks,

I have a new BBS02 since last week (750W, 25A, S/N: 1509...) and have about 90kms on it.
In the beginning it was very quite but I started to hear a weird noise.

Further inspection leads to the video below:
There is some radial play on the side of the chainspocket. No axial or tilting play so I quess it's not a bearing problem.
Somebody an idea what can be wrong? Or were I should look at?

Thank you very much!!

[youtube]4asTLp2e5hI[/youtube]

SOLVED: The teeth of the final gear were knocking. Added some grease and no more annoying mechanical sound! :D

knocking teeth:

[youtube]eyS5BqzzbT0[/youtube]

After adding some grease:

[youtube]q2qr-su2ihA[/youtube]

I would be considering disassembling the rest of the unit to check that all gear meshing/bearing areas are appropriately greased. It will not last long without grease. That areas should have thickish black grease in it. If you read the Bafang section of the wiki, it has more detail about the greases in the unit.

Lurkin said:
I would be considering disassembling the rest of the unit to check that all gear meshing/bearing areas are appropriately greased. It will not last long without grease. That areas should have thickish black grease in it. If you read the Bafang section of the wiki, it has more detail about the greases in the unit.
Did you ever have the time to post the lubrication data you had?

Bosal said:
SOLVED: The teeth of the final gear were knocking. Added some grease and no more annoying mechanical sound! :D

knocking teeth:

After adding some grease:

I am having by what it sounds like the exact same issue. Could you tell me which grease you used or what is recommended?

The wiki says:

Metal gear grease (Black)- HCF Lubrications Technology Co Ltd's MG - 2A grease. This is situated on the large reduction gear and the small metal transfer gear. This should be periodically replaced, given grit can get into this area and grind on these gears.

Not sure if that's something I can just buy here in a car parts shop or something like that (EU-The Netherlands).

All of Bafangs greases are proprietary. They would not send them to me unless I claimed to be a dealer (which I'm definitely not) and they cannot be purchased off the shelf. They recommended using a standard Shimano grease to replace the black grease (yes, the colour is completely different) but the consistency wasn't too far off, just a little thinner..... I have updated the wiki which is the origin of the above information.

I gave up trying to perfect the grease situation because you need a locally obtained, or internationally available equivalent. Then there are other trade offs - chemistry composition, cost, freight cost, availability, timing... etc. I just about drove myself barmy trying to find 'the best' substitute. And when it went back together, it had a different problem anyway, resulting in the whole unit going back to Bafang. Total waste of time.

If I was to do it again, I would use common sense to pick something relatively appropriate without spending too much time on it. Avoid anything that will eat plastic or nylon if your smart - it can get next door to where your nylon gear is and destroy it.

tomjasz said:
Lurkin said:
Did you ever have the time to post the lubrication data you had?

have you bothered to check the wiki?

Thanks, Richard!

@ opperpanter: I used Facom High Performance Lithium Grease. I'm from Belgium so you should find simular grease in the Netherlands. Lithium grease is non-corrosive for plastic and rubber parts.

@ Lurkin and others:
- I'm also considering to strip the motor completely and check the grease. I've also been reading about the motor shaft problems, it seems to be a good idea to glue the shaft inside the bearing, Easy job while the motor is stripped for checking the grease. You have other tips or things to look at?
- Only one question where I some doubts about it: how to mount the thrust bearing correctly? I'm a bit afraid to tighten it too much by mounting the second nut. The second nut will rotate the first one when tightening it?

Thanks!! :D

Eric LunaCycles responded, "I will order bearings and new seals for replacment parts."

bono said:
Let me know if you need the email addresses to Bafang. I am one of those who were successful with contacting the manufacturer (after many problems with the motor) and getting a new motor.

Hi there Bono.
I am having trouble getting my problem sorted, figure it's high time to contact Bafang. Could you be so kind as to send me the relevangt email adresses?

Cheers

I recently recently replaced my right side thrust bearing and am back on the road. I was wondering if it matters which way the bearing ring is placed? i.e. facing out or in? I watched a video saying that the ball tray should be facing in.

Also, I used a needle nose plier to tighten the internal lock nuts. Seems like a workable solution but would it be that much better to get the specialized bottom bracket tool that bafang sells for $40.

Not a BBS02, rather a clone, YOCH. It ran when I bench tested but now it's runs slow and stutters.

https://youtu.be/u9I_n2HXvV8

tomjasz said:
Not a BBS02, rather a clone, YOCH. It ran when I bench tested but now it's runs slow and stutters.

https://youtu.be/u9I_n2HXvV8
Any ideas?

Back