Bafang G310 clutch not engaging?

Anyone using the small Bafang G310 or G311 geared hubs, have you had issues with the clutch either intermittently or completely failing to engage?

This was kinda funny at first as it happened only very occasionally, motor would spin freely like you were revving a bike, with a turbo spool sound, and upon releasing the throttle it would engage again, but it has become progressively worse to the point it takes 3-4 attempts to get the clutch to engage.

I've replaced gears in the past on the G310 so I'm not too worried about taking it apart, just wondering if anyone has had this and what I'm likely to find in there this time.

NB. I don't think it's the gears being worn or damaged, as it seems to run fine once it engages.

Depending on the clutch design, it could either have a crack in the main body of the clutch itself (I broke an old Fusin this way), or more likely the rollers could have flat spots on them (from clutch slips from overtorque events) that sometimes end up all on the clutch surface so they don't have as much grip...but sometimes the round parts line up and it gets more grip.

Depending on the clutch design, it could either have a crack in the main body of the clutch itself (I broke an old Fusin this way), or more likely the rollers could have flat spots on them (from clutch slips from overtorque events) that sometimes end up all on the clutch surface so they don't have as much grip...but sometimes the round parts line up and it gets more grip.
Sounds like that = new clutch assembly. I'm still kind of hoping it just needs a clean up and that it might be some hardened grease etc but that sounds like it could make sense I wouldn't say it works terribly hard but it is only a tiny motor. I'm putting off taking it apart because it is damn freezing outside :LOL:.

Back