Bafang g310 compared to the Mahle x35

taiwwa

1 W
It appears to me that the bafang g310 is roughly comparable to the hub motors used in some egravel bikes like the momentum voya e+1. The Mahle hub is 2.1 kg but overall it also appears that mahle is Oem only and the e-bikes with it are like $5k.

I’m guessing that the g310 only has a cadence sensor though you could add a torque bottom bracket if desired. And I’ve read on here that it has a 11:1 ratio whereas most hub motors have a 5;1 ratio.

The g310 is about 2.6kg. But for 1.5kg more in motor weight, about 5 lbs, you could move up the the grin all axle and also enjoy regen and a better torque arm setup.

Anyone have opinions on the Mahle x20 at a claimed 55nm torque hub motor with crank torque sensor vs a mid drive Specialized Turbo Vado vs Turbo Vado SL/ Turbo Creo SL motors?

The X20 hub motor itself is 1.4kg. It is closer to the Bafang G370 which is 1.9kg. The X20 is through axle which is pretty cool. I saw a web site that sold the X20 for 800 US by itself. It would be interesting to adapt it to a Baserunner and CA with thermal rollback.

I also read that Mahle has been dealing with lots of warranty claims from the high end bikes that use the X20 system.

I broke 3 G370s even with mild Baserunner settings. I plan to add a Grin 10k thermistor to one motor and use a CA and Basrerunner setup with thermal rollback and see how it goes. I think the G370 gears may be fragile even when they are not hot. Perhaps the X20 has similar issues.

It would be interesting to adapt it to a Baserunner and CA with thermal rollback.

that is an interesting idea. I was watching Grin run their crystallite saw20 motor at 72v /800-900w instead of 500w with statorade (does that cause any adverse issues?), but talking to their email i guess it doesnt normally support that controller and needs some adapter
what is "ca"
i dont know of any motors besides this that are really narrow
1698359898091.png

CA is the Cycle Analyst from Grin's ebike.ca website. Grin would not sell statorade unless it was safe for the motor. 10 years ago I tried a few things including Fluid Film which worked pretty good. The only adverse effect I had was when transporting the bike where the fluid can leak out. I never used it long enough to comment on long term effects. I decided not to use a cooling fluid because it was messy.

You bet - back to the days of "Renaissance Bicycle Company." I used to drive Justin crazy buying armloads of Anderson connectors.

I hope to revive the pictures for my old threads. There are some interesting builds with power tool batteries and some interesting tests.

I'm hoping to get more active again now that I have a couple of Stumpjumper's to setup as lightweight trail bikes. I'm hoping to make some posts about Baserunner Phaserunner CA optimization. I never had a CA before. I like to keep things simple with a basic throttle setup. I mainly picked up the CA to monitor motor temperature. It seems to me there is quite a lot of confusion with BR/PR/CA setups and some cross functionality.

I think it's best to get a BR/PR dialed into a motor first before adding CA tweaks. I have some BRs and a PR setup to operate Cute Q100CST and Bafang G370 very smoothly without shuddering or harsh take off. This takes a lot of testing and tweaking Feedback Bandwidth Tuning. I don't totally understand it but I spent days tweaking these parameters for the Q100 and the G370. Now I'm setting up a G310.

I'm going to post some configs for all these motors. I think these FOCs are harder to setup for geared motors than DD motors. But once their dialed in they run like a dream. I'm adding 10K thermistors to the Q100 and G370 to get them running even better with as much power delivery as possible without heat or gear stripping problems. This will all go in another thread.

Back