• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Batteries

lcyn

10 W
I am looking to buy another battery, either 36v or 48v. I currently own a PING 48v 10 AH, which is a good battery and I have been pleased with it. I have been looking at the 36v and 48v LiPo packs, which are smaller and lighter than the Pings. I am looking for lighter and smaller to build a low visibility "stealth"bike.
My question is, how do these compare to the Pings as far as performance and function? Will I get the same speed out of a 48v Lipo compared to a 48v Ping?
What is a good source for the Lipo batteries? (I am talking about a completed pack, not individual cells) I saw Lipo batteries on http://us.itselectric.ca/LiFePO4_ebike_Li_Ni_Mn_Co_02_NiCd_NiMH_Phosphate_s/48.htm as well as
http://www.rmartinltd.com/Batteries/Lithium-batteries-c14/. Are these good batteries from reputable dealers?
Thank you for your time and help.

See the battery FAQ for detailed lipo info.

If you like the ping, but want something similarly easy to maintain that is smaller and lighter, look at other chemistries besides RC lipo. Chicago Electric Bikes is one place to get a 2c rated pack smaller and lighter than a ping. Same chemistry as used in many lithium drill batteries.

Volts is volts, so the same voltage will go the same speed. Amps is another story. RC lipo, such as we typicaly buy from hobby king really puts out the amps. 20c-90c depending on the type. Vs 2c for ping. So when you want more amps, the RC lipo is king of the hill for performance. Start a car with a pack that fits in a shirt pocket, that sort of thing. Since you can get more amps from a tiny battery with a 30c cell, the smallest and stealthiest batteries tend to use lipo. Of course, nice and small and stealthy just means too short range and useless to me personally. I really don't care one bit for stealth.

Thanks for the reply. What is the difference between LiNMC, which is what Chicago electric bikes is selling, and Li(Ni-Mn-Co)02, which is what Itselectric.ca is selling, or are they the same thing? I am getting confused, and want to make sure I am comparing apples to apples.

ThaNKS

I believe both are the same chemisty but I'm not much of a battery expert. Just have done a bit of experimenting with ping lifepo4 and lipo from hobby king. Many companies are using the LiNMC for bike batteries with bms. I beilive it's in the frog batteries, and the water bottle types.

Not my first choice though for a very small pack. You get so much more amps from HK lipo, which allows 5 ah packs if you want really small, yet you can still use strong controllers if you like.

But if you want a pack no bigger than your current ping, yet 12 ah in size, then the chicago battery gets interesting. For a 20 amps or less controller that is.

allcell: new tech stuff, lighter than lipo, but low C rate.
itselectric.ca: a bit older tech stuff, roughly equivalent to RC lipo, slightly higher C rate.

Reports / tests of both batteries are nonexistant on this site. Probably due to the cost of both options versus things like pings, RC lipo, etc.

I will say this about allcell: When i called their HQ to spec out a large battery pack, they mentioned that hanebrink used their batteries... and they could 'not confirm or deny' that optibike uses them. Though i have seen no experience / reports of these batteries, big companies are using them.

The Lithium Maganese battery packs sold by chicago electric bicycles are really good batteries. I have just one 48v 12ah pack and it has worked very well the past 7 months. I am a very picky person who does a lot of research for big $$ purchases. When I was first looking at batteries for my bike I was either going with ping or ceb and what made the difference is ceb batteries are lighter and that with chicago electric bikes I can get a human being on the phone who speaks english. They answered my emails as well same day. I was pleased with their support as I had never wired a battery before. They helped me a lot.

I also have hobby king lipo. I just use it for a backup battery. They are good too.

Jason27 said:
The Lithium Maganese battery packs sold by chicago electric bicycles are really good batteries. I have just one 48v 12ah pack and it has worked very well the past 7 months. I am a very picky person who does a lot of research for big $$ purchases. When I was first looking at batteries for my bike I was either going with ping or ceb and what made the difference is ceb batteries are lighter and that with chicago electric bikes I can get a human being on the phone who speaks english. They answered my emails as well same day. I was pleased with their support as I had never wired a battery before. They helped me a lot.

I also have hobby king lipo. I just use it for a backup battery. They are good too.

Jason - all i know about allcell/chicago electric bikes is that Lester likes to come on here to try to sell them. Can you do the forum a favor and post up a review of your packs for the curious?, particularly, why you chose them over the other options?

lcyn said:
What is a good source for the Lipo batteries? (I am talking about a completed pack, not individual cells)
hobbyking.com sells packs of 2s -10s, but generally, it just easier and more versitile to pur your own together using 4-6s packs. I sure wouldn't pay a premium for some one to plug lipo bricks together to make a pack when one can do it themselves in seconds.

neptronix said:
Jason27 said:

Jason - all i know about allcell/chicago electric bikes is that Lester likes to come on here to try to sell them. Can you do the forum a favor and post up a review of your packs for the curious?, particularly, why you chose them over the other options?

The are just good batteries. Im sure there are other reliable batteries out there but I dont have time or money to experiment. I just need something that works.

Whatever don't waste your good money on a water bottle battery. If you want to little lipo is the way with a power supply and rc charger and a wiring harness from icecube, ect. Only so much sleath with enough wires on a bike that looks like a bomb if parked at the airport.

Thank you for all of the input. This forum is great for the help provided.
There are so few choices for batteries, and very few informative reviews of the newer lighter weight ones. In Fort Collins, the City Council just recently banned the use of ebikes on our trail system, so in order to stay under the radar I will need to have a very low profile bike that does not appear to be electric. That is why I am seeking a smaller, lightweight alternative. I love the Ping batteries--they are reliable and long lasting. I have been afraid to piece together a pack myself, mainly because I never had and that is all new to me.

After first posting my questions a few days ago, I have had a lot of good input, especially some good suggestions from Neptronix. So I have decided to go the HK Lipo route, and put together 4 6s5000mah Turnigy. This should make a good lightweight battery for my "stealth" build. Now I have to read up on required parts and get up the guts to put it all together. I am also concerned about safety of lipo, but it appears that if one is careful then it should be safe.

I have never had a problem with lipo safety. Some people have. My concern was wiring and charging the lipo bricks. You just have to be careful and do some reading on how to do it right.

Good luck with your project.

You'll like the 4 6s 5ah lipo bricks :)

Check out my build log for how I've put them on the bike and charging routine :)

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/9442-new-build.html

You'll have to pay a bit more attention to your battery to use lipo safely, but really it's pretty easy. Dont overdishcarge is the key. Even in an apartment, you can create a safer place to run your chargers. Just get some kind of fire resistant board, like a sheetrock scrap and a fire bag.

4 6s lipo bricks makes an ideal stealth pack, easily concealed in a backpack, or normal size rack bag.

Stealth is going to be how you ride more than anything. Ride the normal speed for the trail, not noticeably too fast, and be courteous, and many who might call you in won't.

Fort Collins city council sucks balls.

Back