Battery Wiring N00b Query

If you have the red wire on positive, and black on negative, there will be no little - in front of the voltage.

If you have the black wire on positive, and red on negative, there will be a little - in front of the voltage.

I checked the polarity coming off the charger, and the #1 pin shows negative and the #2 pin shows positive. So I connected the port to the charger, and the port has two wires coming off it, so I put a female connector on the wire coming off the #1 pin, and a male connector coming off the #2 pin. Male positive, female negative.

I checked the polarity coming off the battery, and the red wire shows negative and the black wire shows positive. So I am (going to) put a female connector on the black wire, and a male connector on the red wire. Male negative, female positive.

This should have the polarities lined up correct, yes?

When I plug it in, if I've got it wrong, is there going to be an obvious sign, other than the battery exploding and setting everything on fire?

Sounds strange that the red wire from the battery would be negative, but if it is, it is! And that's why we always recommend checking the polarity like you did.

Sometimes if you are unsure, a small fuse in line for the first test can save having a big problem. Good luck with the project.

I thought it was weird too, but I decided to trust the instruments over the (very loosely followed at best) convention. Just plugging it in now....OH GOD FIRE EVERYWHERE

JK, it's been charging for ten minutes, no sparks, no toxic gas clouds, not even getting warm. Just a happy little amber light from the charger.

Thanks!

Back